E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Misfires, stumbling, fault codes, fixes -- some Valvetronic wins, one mysterious loss

12-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
lukemunnell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Angry Misfires, stumbling, fault codes, fixes -- some Valvetronic wins, one mysterious loss

U.S.-spec e90 2006 BMW 325i (pre-April '06). 3.0L N52B30AE engine (n/a, port injection). 155K miles, automatic, no mods. All faults/data read with iCarsoft reader.

After a year of driving it, 5 months or so ago, I started experiencing some intermittent misfires. I replaced a different coil on two occasions (w/OEM Bosch) and each time that seemed to fix the misfire.

Then about 2 weeks ago another misfire started in cyl 6 and seemed to become permanent. Fault codes pulled at the time:

2A34 - Valvetronic, eccentric shaft sensor: reference
2A32 - Valvetronic, eccentric shaft sensor: reference
2A47 - Valvetronic, eccentric shaft sensor: plausibility
2A37 - Valvetronic, eccentric shaft sensor: plausibility
2A1A - Tank-venting system, function
2E35 - Fuel injector, cyl 6, activation

Saw lots of oil in the eccentric shaft sensor clip (a good indicator of sensor failure), so cleaned and replaced the sensor, gasket, valve-cover gasket and Valvetronic motor gasket with new OEM components.

To be safe, I replaced the remaining old coils with new Bosch coils, and changed all six plugs to new recommended iridium plugs.

Cleared all faults, switched the car "on" twice as recommended, Valvetronic motor made some noticeable clicking. Started the engine, no Valvetronic faults or noise, but the misfire remained and the "2E35 fuel injector cyl 6" fault returned and would not clear.

Swapped out cyl 6's fuel injector w/new OEM, cleared code, started the car and it seemed to run fine for a week or so over the course of 200 or so miles.

=== WIN!! (or so I thought) ===

Today at cold startup, car idled high, then engine stumbled and shook (but didn't misfire). I heard some clunking under the hood, and what I think were some intake manifold backfires. After a few minutes the idle settled but throttle response was noticeably lagging. New fault codes:

2A38 - Valvetronic, monitoring, sluggish movement
2D06 - Air-mass system
2A43 - Vaveltronic, thermal overload protection: warning threshold

Cleared codes, disconnected and reconnected battery, and started car again. Same symptoms. New Faults:

2A43 - Vaveltronic, thermal overload protection: warning threshold
2A39 - Valvetronic, adjustment range

Did some Datastream viewing and saw the data in the crappy collage below. I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it seems to me that something is seriously out of wack with cylinder 5, and maybe all the cylinders.

I'm thinking and hoping that a DME reprogramming might be all that's needed, but I'm wondering if it could also be that the Valvetronic motor is going out now. Weird to me that all this is happening at once.

Also might be important: I have been experiencing sluggish starting since I bought the car. Always thought it was an old battery or starter, but I've been seeing this symptom tied to Valvetronic faults more and more.

Thoughts/guidance?

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
lukemunnell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

SOLVED

This morning I went over everything, and in doing so found a tiiiiiiny bit of oil and electronics cleaner inside the plug for the eccentric shaft sensor, probably left over from when I cleaned it the first time during the sensor change.

I cleaned and dried as thoroughly as possible (with electronics cleaner and compressed air) the plugs going to the e-shaft sensor and valvetronic actuator solenoid, cleared the codes (without starting), disconnected and reconnected the battery, cycled the Valvetronic system (without starting), started the car, and drove another 100+ uneventful miles.

Not sure if it was cleaning the plugs or cycling the VT system, but something worked. No fault codes and a smooth-running 325i once again.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

very Nice Diagnostics.
what software are you running there and on what?
Appreciate 0