E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Poor power and upshifts - MHD Log advice sought.

07-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #45
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I’ll charge up the battery this morning and then setup the battery charger in support/mem mode and give it a try.

Ive had so called pro do this before and they bricked the car (long ago way before any engine issues) which resulted in it being flat bedded to the dealer. So flashing makes me nervous!
It's nearly impossible to brick the DME with MHD, that's weird.

If that is a factory INA0S, you may want to back it up before flashing, but not necessary.

Roll down the driver side window
Turn off radio, DRL, HVAC, etc.
Turn off ignition for now, get out of the car and close all doors. Don't open a door until flash is done now.
Pop hood, connect charger and turn it on. A few amps is enough.

Through the window, connect device to OBD-II port.
Set ignition to run (lights on dash) - 2 presses for CA, or insert fob and then press start once.
Make sure MHD connects, then select your map and flash.

Do not open any door until flash completes. When it's successful, turn off ignition, disconnect charger and you're good to go.

If there are any errors during the flash, disconnect device, end app, turn off car. Wait a few minutes and then reconnect and turn to run. Select map to flash. MHD will give you an option to do a full write or reattempt a failed write. You can do either.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #46
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Nerves are shot but car was successfully flashed. #FeltLikeA40MinuteJobInterview

Issue with power drop off before shifts remains however (though it now pulls like a train and doesn’t want to upshift as much).

I’ll try and get some logs again this week and see what they tell.

So what do we think? Incorrectly reporting MAP sensor or stuck wastegates perhaps?

That said, why does the fault lessen once it's warmed up?

Last edited by ManiacGT; 07-15-2018 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #47
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drive to work this morning was much smoother. I can still tell there's something not right, its most evident around mid pedal. Normal driving is now much smoother and I've not had chance to try WOT yet.

EDIT: spoke too soon, drive home was horribly hesitant before shifts as usual. I’ll try and log tomorrow.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 07-16-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #48
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Does the tacho bounce or drop when these sputters and jerks occur?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #49
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80. View Post
Does the tacho bounce or drop when these sputters and jerks occur?
So as revs rise toward the shift point, around 500rpm before the upshift, the rev needle pauses momentarily (this is the hesitation I feel and equally can be bad enough at times to unsettle the cars balance) then rises again to its final rpm before the upshift occurs.

It doesn't feel like it hesitates during the shift. Its just before. Also when the upshift is complete the power can feel flat, indeed you can hear the exhaust go quiet. Power then slowly returns but this occurs on just light pedal application, if you're accelerating quickly the power drop off is never felt.

The latter has been improved by using better fuel, but neither of these issues used to occur before the repair works.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #50
RSL
Captain
Rep

Is it occurring at all throttle positions or only in that 30% range? What about lighter or heavier throttle? P/T is kind of a pain with these odd things. Logs of when it's worse or better would help. Loads stay similar on P/T no matter what, but not sure why it would always occur near shift constantly. I thought your WOT ones were just rev limiters and they may be.

Same occur when you shift manually or only when the DME/TCU is controlling it?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #51
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes manual shifting is the same I pull a paddle and there’s a hesitation then upshift. V light throttle shows little issue and wot is so fast you just feel a snatch as it shifts. It’s that mid range that feels all over the shop.

It’s a very weird issue and no other post I can find in google has a fix as most issues are full time or at wot etc

I’ve just reflashed with linear throttle so I’ll see how that impacts things tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #52
RSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes manual shifting is the same I pull a paddle and there’s a hesitation then upshift. V light throttle shows little issue and wot is so fast you just feel a snatch as it shifts. It’s that mid range that feels all over the shop.

It’s a very weird issue and no other post I can find in google has a fix as most issues are full time or at wot etc

I’ve just reflashed with linear throttle so I’ll see how that impacts things tomorrow.
I wonder if they updated the TCU software, but can't imagine they'd have any reason to for that work. If it's not load or RPM dependent and only occurs when a shift is pending/involved, it's something else. Still don't know why your car is going in and out spool mode and definitely should not be in it over 2600rpm.

If flashing didn't give you heart palpitations, I'd suggest checking/flashing the TCU yourself, but you'd need to get WinKFP setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #53
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I suspect as we’ve seen in the logs, that the boost mean over target is likely the cause as I can see the throttle closing which def feels that way. Q is why....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #54
RSL
Captain
Rep

That's definitely part of it. We could easily get rid of the closures to test, but I'll be away from my PC until Friday. If you want to try it, you can send me a copy of your stock bin.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #55
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Interested to see how this works out for a fellow DCT owner. A BMW tech once told me that dirty wheel speed sensors had a dramatic effect on DCT performance and knowing what we know now about wheel speed and shift quality it cant hurt to check them as well.
      07-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #56
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
That's definitely part of it. We could easily get rid of the closures to test, but I'll be away from my PC until Friday. If you want to try it, you can send me a copy of your stock bin.
Thanks. Can you PM me your email and I’ll send it Over.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #57
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
I wonder if they updated the TCU software, but can't imagine they'd have any reason to for that work. If it's not load or RPM dependent and only occurs when a shift is pending/involved, it's something else. Still don't know why your car is going in and out spool mode and definitely should not be in it over 2600rpm.

If flashing didn't give you heart palpitations, I'd suggest checking/flashing the TCU yourself, but you'd need to get WinKFP setup.
Spool mode max RPM is 3000 for me on all INA0S revisions, not sure if this is a euro thing or a Z4 thing.

I'd be interested to see if flashing a map with reduced WGDC adder would prevent the overboost. I don't know what would cause overboost issues like this other than boost solenoids. Unless there's some kind of obstruction in the intake piping?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:21 AM   #58
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
...knowing what we know now about wheel speed and shift quality it cant hurt to check them as well.
Can you expand on this at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #59
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Spool mode max RPM is 3000 for me on all INA0S revisions, not sure if this is a euro thing or a Z4 thing.

I'd be interested to see if flashing a map with reduced WGDC adder would prevent the overboost. I don't know what would cause overboost issues like this other than boost solenoids. Unless there's some kind of obstruction in the intake piping?
So one suggestion elsewhere is pinched vacuum lines which may cause slow release of the WG and contribute to overboost. I'd considered walnut blasting the intake but if it was crap on the intake it wouldn't explain why the issue popped up from nowhere after the injectors/overheat/waterpump episode. Pinched lines might if they're taking things apart and not putting things back together correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #60
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
...knowing what we know now about wheel speed and shift quality it cant hurt to check them as well.
Can you expand on this at all?
Not in this forum, search other forums - theres a section dedicated to DCT N54's and 55's
      07-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #61
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So one suggestion elsewhere is pinched vacuum lines which may cause slow release of the WG and contribute to overboost. I'd considered walnut blasting the intake but if it was crap on the intake it wouldn't explain why the issue popped up from nowhere after the injectors/overheat/waterpump episode. Pinched lines might if they're taking things apart and not putting things back together correctly.
Sounds possible. Replacing the vacuum hose is really easy, it's just getting hold of 3.5mm silicon hose is a PITA in the UK.

You could buy some 4mm silicon vacuum hose and replace them. Something like this: http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/4mm...ur-colour.html

The Z4 is really easy to do since we have a little more space to get to the turbos. 30min job from start to finish. You just have to be careful when removing the old hose as connectors can break.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #62
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I’ve already had the small hoses off due to the solenoid replacement.

I just need to understand how they’re all routed.

Do you recall how much you ordered, assuming you went for a single piece to cut to size?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #63
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I’ve already had the small hoses off due to the solenoid replacement.

I just need to understand how they’re all routed.

Do you recall how much you ordered, assuming you went for a single piece to cut to size?
I purchased 5m. Comes in one piece and you just cut to size with some scissors.

The best method is to remove 1 hose at a time and use it to measure how much to cut off the new stuff. There are some good DIY guides with photos out there. This thread is pretty good: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894084
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #64
RSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post

Might be a Z4 thing, 2600rpm is stock INA0S spool mode limit on 3s. OTS map spools are 3000.

I'd definitely check for anything pinched. Whether or not the issue can be worked around to make it drive normally for the time being, he shouldn't have to. Could be anything. Since shift is involved for it to happen and RPM/load don't seem to matter, maybe just adaptation reset or update changed something. We can let it continue and stop the closures just to see, but would keep them in place and change some other things if it helps. For part-throttle, torque request seems to work better for broad strokes. If it were me, I'd fire up WinKFP and verify the modules flashes and see if anything was touched.

If it does help, I recommended skipping OTS altogether and just going straight to custom tune from BQ.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #65
RSL
Captain
Rep

Just for the record, there are some notable differences in the Z4 INA0S compared to 335is INA0S. I expected them to be closer, but spool mode on Z4 is 3000. I and D tables are the same, but much different D Factor multi. P factor is different, as are VANOS and Sport mode torque request. WGDC base and spool are 30-100% higher on the Z4 bin in low MAF /mid setpoint ranges. There are other values that are double the 3 series in pressure pre-controls as well (undefined tables in the public XDF).

Load target is lower, torque ceilings/breakpoints and high RPM reductions are different. Most of the differences would appear to favor increased boost and/or calculated boost on a lower target in that 2500-3000rpm range compared to a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #66
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Just for the record, there are some notable differences in the Z4 INA0S compared to 335is INA0S. I expected them to be closer, but spool mode on Z4 is 3000. I and D tables are the same, but much different D Factor multi. P factor is different, as are VANOS and Sport mode torque request. WGDC base and spool are 30-100% higher on the Z4 bin in low MAF /mid setpoint ranges. There are other values that are double the 3 series in pressure pre-controls as well (undefined tables in the public XDF).

Load target is lower, torque ceilings/breakpoints and high RPM reductions are different. Most of the differences would appear to favor increased boost and/or calculated boost on a lower target in that 2500-3000rpm range compared to a 3 series.
This is part of the reason why Z4is DCT cars are the fastest from a dig stock. They also break diff pinions more readily as well.