E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Video on how to program garage opener to your Bmw

12-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport

Video on how to program garage opener to your Bmw

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Here's how, but "I'm not going to do it" (and prove it)

Anyway, FYI, there are more than a few models of garage door openers that are not that simple to program. I think it was actually a fairly common thing up till a few years ago. So try it, but if it doesn't work after about 5 times, it's not you...seriously. It's the garage door opener.

Read the manual on your garage door opener. Some have a learn/sync button that you have to press ON THE UNIT (yes that one on the ceiling) in order for it to catch. I had to do this on my 2011 BMW 328i.

There are EXTREME cases where particular models (mostly came from Sears IIRC) that actually needed a secondary device plugged in that would interpret your signal from the car (that you would sync with this device) and then rebroadcast a different signal that the garage opener would understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
There are EXTREME cases where particular models (mostly came from Sears IIRC) that actually needed a secondary device plugged in that would interpret your signal from the car (that you would sync with this device) and then rebroadcast a different signal that the garage opener would understand.
Not sure how extreme. This would be the scenario for every single home and garage opener I've had to date - and none are from sears.
      12-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Not sure how extreme. This would be the scenario for every single home and garage opener I've had to date - and none are from sears.
Interesting. Mine was about 6-7 years old and has a button on the unit that allowed the sync to happen. Also, it seems like every time it is reset, you have to relearn for all cars that it was enabled for.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Interesting. Mine was about 6-7 years old and has a button on the unit that allowed the sync to happen. Also, it seems like every time it is reset, you have to relearn for all cars that it was enabled for.
I dunno - my homes have all been new construction, so who knows? I've gone through it extensively, and every time, I needed the emulator or whatever it was called to talk between my opener and the car. It's very frustrating.