E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMS Cowl Filters without removing cowl

09-26-2022, 10:10 PM   #1
Milkbar
Rep
Drives: E92

BMS Cowl Filters without removing cowl

Hey all, so I just installed the BMS intake on my car, and I'll be honest, maybe I was expecting too much, but there is barely any sound difference to me with the turbo spools. I'm not sure if its because my exhaust is too loud (VRSF Race Exhaust with VRSF HFC), but I'd like to try and get more sound out of the intakes since its the whole reason I got it.

I saw that removing the cowl will allow you to hear it more, but I don't really want to remove it and have another worry on my mind. I'm wondering if there would be any difference in sound if I only replaced the stock cabin filter with the BMS filters but left the cowl on. The stock filter looks pretty hefty so I'd imagine there is some sound deadening there. Would anyone be able to provide some insight into whether its worth switching to the BMS filters before I pull the trigger? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:23 AM   #2
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkbar View Post
Hey all, so I just installed the BMS intake on my car, and I'll be honest, maybe I was expecting too much, but there is barely any sound difference to me with the turbo spools. I'm not sure if its because my exhaust is too loud (VRSF Race Exhaust with VRSF HFC), but I'd like to try and get more sound out of the intakes since its the whole reason I got it.

I saw that removing the cowl will allow you to hear it more, but I don't really want to remove it and have another worry on my mind. I'm wondering if there would be any difference in sound if I only replaced the stock cabin filter with the BMS filters but left the cowl on. The stock filter looks pretty hefty so I'd imagine there is some sound deadening there. Would anyone be able to provide some insight into whether its worth switching to the BMS filters before I pull the trigger? Thanks.
I have BMS filters and stock cowl still in place only because it's easy for removal and looks cleaner imo. No sound difference still can't hear any induction noise via DCI's. Some cut the cowl m3 style mod. but i choose to leave it and it seals off the engine for fresh air.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:55 AM   #3
Milkbar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
I have BMS filters and stock cowl still in place only because it's easy for removal and looks cleaner imo. No sound difference still can't hear any induction noise via DCI's. Some cut the cowl m3 style mod. but i choose to leave it and it seals off the engine for fresh air.
Ahh I see, well that’s a bit disappointing. I saw a lot of posts about how night and day the difference in intake sound is, some even said it was so loud they couldn’t daily it, are these people running a bowl delete probably?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

On n54 there's a massive sound difference with the BMS filters vs the stock setup. N55 has a much louder exhaust and quieter intake but I think you'll still notice a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #5
njang92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335xi MSport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I run an oem m3 cowl kit so the engine bay is still sealed off, but has more "breathing room". It's a bit louder, but not by much and probably not worth the $6-700 bucks of plastic if you just want noise. Mostly just saves me 5 mins of pulling the thing off when working on it.
      09-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #6
darkfires102
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '09 335xi

Free mod: Just open the hood and remove the seal that's attached to the cowl, it seals to the hood and restricts lots of noise. Then you get to keep the nice cabin filter air and have the cowl draining water correctly. Tested in snow too and is fine. I take off the cowl and run BMS filters in summer and switch to the cowl with seal removed otherwise. I would say it is just a tiny bit muffled compared to BMS filters but a lot better than stock.
      09-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #7
Milkbar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfires102 View Post
Free mod: Just open the hood and remove the seal that's attached to the cowl, it seals to the hood and restricts lots of noise. Then you get to keep the nice cabin filter air and have the cowl draining water correctly. Tested in snow too and is fine. I take off the cowl and run BMS filters in summer and switch to the cowl with seal removed otherwise. I would say it is just a tiny bit muffled compared to BMS filters but a lot better than stock.
Interesting life hack. Sounds promising. Can the seal be reapplied once its taken off?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
darkfires102
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkbar View Post
Interesting life hack. Sounds promising. Can the seal be reapplied once its taken off?
Yes, it just clips back onto the cowl.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #9
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

It's been a while since I have gone from the stock airbox to the BMS cold air intake system so I really don't recall how it sounds. In fact, it was my first mod, not necessarily proud of it due to its pretty low usefulness hahaha.

But I must say that it really changed (at least for my car) the way the engine bay sounded inside the vehicle.

I bought the BMS cowl filters but I run them with the lower part of the cowl always installed since I have a LOT of snow during the year and I don't want to take any chances. On top of that, I have also upgraded my stock DV to the GFB DV+ since the diaphragm on the stock one was torn and was causing compression surges. DV+ can make the chirping noises you hear.

I have a pretty bad video where you might be able to hear how loud the air gets sucked in and some pretty high-pitched turbo spool.

Let me know if you have anything similar in your case.

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 09-28-2022 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
Milkbar
Rep

Hey all, just wanted to give an update for those who might be thinking of doing the same. Turbo noises are pretty audible now. The thing that helped the most was removing that seal on the cowl. i also bought the BMS cabin filter, I think that helps with being able to hear the turbo sounds more when the windows are up. Didn’t really notice a difference with the windows down.
Appreciate 0