E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Need help changing vins in modules

07-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
chaseb9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Need help changing vins in modules

So after posting my last thread and getting some help I decided to buy a DME and CAS from a e93 with keys and such. I was wondering how I could go with changing all the vins in the other modules. I have winkfp to do this but I need some help figuring it out. I’d love to program the vin in the dme and cas to my cars vin but I doubt I can do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
chaseb9
Private
Rep

And one other thing, My car has 78k miles on it and the dme and cas has 108k miles on it. If I put it in my car will it change my miles from 78k miles to 108k miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseb9 View Post
And one other thing, My car has 78k miles on it and the dme and cas has 108k miles on it. If I put it in my car will it change my miles from 78k miles to 108k miles?
KOMBI has mileage info, not DME or CAS
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
chaseb9
Private
Rep

So what you're saying is that I can put in the dme and cas that has more mileage than the KOMBI and it will still show the original miles and not update to the higher ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
KOMBI has mileage info, not DME or CAS
Wrong. Mileage is stored in multiple locations. DME, CAS, keys, for starters. That's how you can take a virgin KOMBI, install it in a different car and it will automatically pick up the mileage of the new vehicle. I do it every day.
      07-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OK, I defer to LM

But LM, OP is not installing a virgin KOMBI or any virgin module for that matter. Are you saying that if one replaces his CAS/DME/Key, that the mileage being read out in the instrument cluster will change?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
chaseb9
Private
Rep

That's what I am trying to find out
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
OK, I defer to LM

But LM, OP is not installing a virgin KOMBI or any virgin module for that matter. Are you saying that if one replaces his CAS/DME/Key, that the mileage being read out in the instrument cluster will change?
A lower mileage cluster installed in a higher mileage car will show that higher mileage as soon as it's powered on. I'm guessing this situation is pretty close to that. You certainly don't want to take that 30k mile depreciation hit without being absolutely sure you know what you're doing and what's going to happen.
      07-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
chaseb9
Private
Rep

Alright, I will return the dme and cas I purchased and buy the 49k miles dme and cas so it will update to my already 78k miles. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
A lower mileage cluster installed in a higher mileage car will show that higher mileage as soon as it's powered on. I'm guessing this situation is pretty close to that. You certainly don't want to take that 30k mile depreciation hit without being absolutely sure you know what you're doing and what's going to happen.
Does that mean if you have to replace one of the three components you must obtain one with lower millage? There is no way to simply code it/register it as a replacement part and set it to zero miles for example?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Does that mean if you have to replace one of the three components you must obtain one with lower millage? There is no way to simply code it/register it as a replacement part and set it to zero miles for example?
Interested in this answer as well.

To make it as difficult as possible to roll back the odometer, I suppose it makes sense to have KOMBI poll all the relevant modules/keys and choose the highest mileage for display.

Second question - what role(s) if any does the VIN play in the interplay between CAS, DME and KOMBI? Do they actually need to match? I'm led to believe that a used CAS VIN cannot be changed with BMW standard tools alone although VINs in KOMBI and DME can. Is that actually the case?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
The cluster is the easiest to change. The DME, CAS, and keys all work together and need to be synched. The eeprom in the cluster is write protected but it's pretty easy to zero out the mileage and erase the VIN if needed. After that a simple default coding of the KOMBI will write the VIN, set it for the VO, and it assumes the mileage.
      07-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:

To make it as difficult as possible to roll back the odometer, I suppose it makes sense to have KOMBI poll all the relevant modules/keys and choose the highest mileage for display.

Second question - what role(s) if any does the VIN play in the interplay between CAS, DME and KOMBI? Do they actually need to match? I'm led to believe that a used CAS VIN cannot be changed with BMW standard tools alone although VINs in KOMBI and DME can. Is that actually the case?
As far as a VIN mismatch in the KOMBi goes, it will show the tamper dot and be uncodeable until the VIN matches the rest of the car. To change the VIN the cluster needs to be disassembled, eeprom read out with a programmer, edited in a hex editor, and either blank out the VIN or enter the last 7 of the car its going in, and put back together. Now you can code it, which will write the VIN if it was blanked out, and code it according to the VO.
      07-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As far as a VIN mismatch in the KOMBi goes, it will show the tamper dot and be uncodeable until the VIN matches the rest of the car. To change the VIN the cluster needs to be disassembled, eeprom read out with a programmer, edited in a hex editor, and either blank out the VIN or enter the last 7 of the car its going in, and put back together. Now you can code it, which will write the VIN if it was blanked out, and code it according to the VO.
I think I understand. Assuming CAS has the proper key encoding and the ISN/SK in CAS and DME match, VINs don't matter for starting or operating the vehicle. But in order to avoid the tamper dot one MUST either change the VINs in the CAS and DME to match the KOMBI or change the KOMBI VIN with an eeprom proprammer to match the CAS and DME?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The cluster is the easiest to change. The DME, CAS, and keys all work together and need to be synched. The eeprom in the cluster is write protected but it's pretty easy to zero out the mileage and erase the VIN if needed. After that a simple default coding of the KOMBI will write the VIN, set it for the VO, and it assumes the mileage.
But I mean in a scenario let's say my DME takes a shit, I get a used one from a 200k mile car.

Put everything in now my CAS DME and Kombi are all 200K miles. Even if I do a reset on the Kombi it will show 200k since now both CAS and DME are 200k miles? So in that case there really isn't any way?

And by keys are you saying like the actual car key transmitter?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:
I think I understand. Assuming CAS has the proper key encoding and the ISN/SK in CAS and DME match, VINs don't matter for starting or operating the vehicle. But in order to avoid the tamper dot one MUST either change the VINs in the CAS and DME to match the KOMBI or change the KOMBI VIN with an eeprom proprammer to match the CAS and DME?
Right, and personally I think it's much easier to just change the Vin and/or mileage in the KOMBI rather than deal with the other two, especially in the OP's situation.

KOMBI comes out with two screws and a connector in back. I can pull one, virginize it, reassemble and reinstall it in 10-15 minutes max.

Guys have asked me to change the mileage in their cluster to reflect the lower mileage of a replacement motor but you need a far more sophisticated and expensive programmer to accomplish that so its possible to roll mileage back in all the modules I just have no interest getting into that.
      07-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #17
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:
But I mean in a scenario let's say my DME takes a shit, I get a used one from a 200k mile car.

Put everything in now my CAS DME and Kombi are all 200K miles. Even if I do a reset on the Kombi it will show 200k since now both CAS and DME are 200k miles? So in that case there really isn't any way?

And by keys are you saying like the actual car key transmitter?
You pull the CAS and along with your keys, send the used DME to be programmed by one of these shops that specialize in that. They'll copy over the info from the CAS into the DME so it's synched, vin and mileage correct, and all the security checks are correct.

This isn't really DIY stuff unless you've put in the time to know what you're doing and invested in the equipment.
      07-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You pull the CAS and along with your keys, send the used DME to be programmed by one of these shops that specialize in that. They'll copy over the info from the CAS into the DME so it's synched, vin and mileage correct, and all the security checks are correct.

This isn't really DIY stuff unless you've put in the time to know what you're doing and invested in the equipment.
Man I want to learn this stuff hahaa. It's all interesting stuff comparing and looking at car coding coming from someone who is into IT and computers and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseb9 View Post
Alright, I will return the dme and cas I purchased and buy the 49k miles dme and cas so it will update to my already 78k miles. Thanks for the help!
If you install another CAS w/DME that has 49k your cluster will have a dot and show 49k. It will not show 78k as you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #20
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The VIN in CAS can be changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #21
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, I defer to LM

Once OP installs another DME/CAS set from another vehicle, the mileage on his original cluster will change and the red dot will appear. Whatever the miles are in the replacement CAS will appear on his cluster.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #22
A.opt
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hi I need help please! So I bought a wrecked 2009 BMW E92 328i with no key! I got a key guy to make the key, he did but the car wouldn't start so I figured the key was not made right, I called dealer and ordered the key with my vin and when it arrived no start or anything, same thing I had a key and slash and wouldn't do anything, I then found out the key guy screwed the Cas trying to make the key! So I went on ebay bought a dme, Cas, ecu and key from a identical vehicle once I installed it fires right up and no check engine light car runs very good but I live in California and need to smog the vehicle and they say the vehicle does not communicate with the smog machine!!! So I don't know what the hell to do at this point. All the help would be appreciated, looking for the cheapest route possible! Thanks
Appreciate 0