E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2011 335i knocking bad

11-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
jackalz9
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive

2011 335i knocking bad

Hey all, been lurking in the forums for years and finally making a post but I wish it was better. I have a 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive with 170xxxkms and it has a really bad rattle. Started out as a little rattle when I would give it partial gas and let off but it would disappear under a medium load. Last night I was driving home and the rattle is now insane. I have linked a video clip of the car running. I did get vanos codes a few months ago but they have since went away. The noise seems to be coming from inside the valve cover. Any help would be appreciated!

https://youtube.com/shorts/H2CoZtQJt-w?feature=share

Just scanned it and it came up with code p122f
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I feel like I write this about once a week, but: another N55 bites the dust.

Really sorry to hear. It's hard to tell from the video, the sound does sound possibly a bit higher pitched than a rod knock but I think I hear two pitches of noises, possibly one being a resonance from the other. While there's no way to diagnose for sure without tearing it open, it seems likely you've spun a rod bearing. Around the 13 second mark, the higher pitched noise disappears and what's left sounds to me like a rod knock, which is very common on N55's. Keep us posted and good luck.

I hope I'm wrong
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #3
jackalz9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I feel like I write this about once a week, but: another N55 bites the dust.

Really sorry to hear. It's hard to tell from the video, the sound does sound possibly a bit higher pitched than a rod knock but I think I hear two pitches of noises, possibly one being a resonance from the other. While there's no way to diagnose for sure without tearing it open, it seems likely you've spun a rod bearing. Keep us posted and good luck.

I hope I'm wrong

Hey thanks for the reply!
I've been doing a little more digging, could this be the vanos bolts issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalz9 View Post
Definitely possible! I don't think Canadian N55's were eligible for the recall, but it could be that they still had the defective bolts and were just never recalled.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
jackalz9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely possible! I don't think Canadian N55's were eligible for the recall, but it could be that they still had the defective bolts and were just never recalled.

Would this be something I could check myself and email Bmw about? The same thing happened to my n54 with the wastegate rattle
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Would this be something I could check myself and email Bmw about? The same thing happened to my n54 with the wastegate rattle
You can run your VIN on BMW's website or call a dealer with the VIN. When I had my N55, I was concerned about the vanos bolt issue and called the dealer but they said since mine was a Canadian spec car, it didn't qualify for the recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #7
jackalz9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can run your VIN on BMW's website or call a dealer with the VIN. When I had my N55, I was concerned about the vanos bolt issue and called the dealer but they said since mine was a Canadian spec car, it didn't qualify for the recall.
Quote:
Quote:
So if the motor is fucked, would it hurt for me to try and pull it to rebuild it? Also have you heard anyone of swapping a diesel in if I got a parts car?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #8
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So if the motor is fucked, would it hurt for me to try and pull it to rebuild it? Also have you heard anyone of swapping a diesel in if I got a parts car?
I'd say knock yourself out! If you did spin a bearing, you'll need a new crank or to get yours machined so it will be a messy process but you've got nothing to lose. Diesel swap would be a cool option. Someone just sold a 135i on BaT that was diesel swapped. It was a 2011 too, so probably had a similar experience to yours.
Appreciate 1