E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > I don't have Bluetooth audio but...

06-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
kaiser
Driving a 5-series and loving it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d

I don't have Bluetooth audio but...

Today I discovered an interesting feature on my car which confuses me slightly...

This morning my 5 year old was playing with my iPhone in the car on the way to school. All of a sudden my iDrive screen changes to say it is making a call. I assume Zack has inadvertently placed a call on my phone. When we arrive at school I discover that he had not made any calls but had instead been playing with the voice memo app on the phone. When I take a closer look I see a Bluetooth icon at the top left of the screen, when you tap it a list of devices show up including my car, when the car is selected the audio will play through the car's sound system (the screen shows it as a call).

The part of this I find confusing is that I do not have Bluetooth audio on my car, I cannot play music from my phone without the use of an auxiliary cable and yet I can play audio recorded in the voice memo app. Why can I play voice recordings and not music? This makes no sense to me at all, what is the point of playing voice memos through the car?

Kai
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
skyrunner
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2005 320d SE

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Voice Memo on the iPhone will use a Bluetooth headset/hands free as a microphone and also play back through a headset. Sadly music doesn't as that uses the A2DP profile.

It's an odd quirk of iOS, I never understood why it plays back voice recordings as a headset profile.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Interesting thread! I wonder if an app could be written to allow this to work?

But, OP, why not spend £15 on a bluetooth receiver connected in your Arm Rest and jobs a good'n!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
gchild
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda

maybe i'm missing something, but isn't the question how did he hear anything at all through the car speakers without having BT capability installed? voodoo?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No, he has Bluetooth for phoning, but not for streaming music - these are separate things.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchild View Post
maybe i'm missing something, but isn't the question how did he hear anything at all through the car speakers without having BT capability installed? voodoo?
@ the voodoo comment. Somewhere in Africa there is a Shay-man with a little model of the OP's car, and he's drawing bluetooth symbols all over it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
gchild
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
No, he has Bluetooth for phoning, but not for streaming music - these are separate things.
I didn't know that. thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

This situation is easily resolved and you save yourself the 15 quid a Bluetooth receiver would cost.

Simply sing your favourite songs and record them using the iPhone's Voice Memo function. Then play back via iDrive. You could even sing songs you don't actually own and save even more £££.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
kaiser
Driving a 5-series and loving it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
This situation is easily resolved and you save yourself the 15 quid a Bluetooth receiver would cost.

Simply sing your favourite songs and record them using the iPhone's Voice Memo function. Then play back via iDrive. You could even sing songs you don't actually own and save even more £££.
I genuinely laughed out loud at that!

I have thought about getting a bluetooth receiver but can I connect to that AND my car for calls?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Manchesterr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Quote:
Interesting thread! I wonder if an app could be written to allow this to work?

But, OP, why not spend £15 on a bluetooth receiver connected in your Arm Rest and jobs a good'n!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

I've got bluetooth in my car, but not iDrive, so can't stream my audio from my iPhone. Would this gadget allow me to stream my music via the aux, without interfering with handsfree phone calls?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterr View Post
I've got bluetooth in my car, but not iDrive, so can't stream my audio from my iPhone. Would this gadget allow me to stream my music via the aux, without interfering with handsfree phone calls?
It's a good question.

My feeling is that the phone can only connect to one devise at a time, so if you were listening to music and a call came in, I suspect it wouldn't work properly.

However, I also suspect that you would still hear the caller, but it would go through the aux input - as for them hearing you, if the phone is in the open cabin I expect the mic on the handset would pick up your voice. So, it depends on how much you speak on the phone when driving.

In my old Leon, I connected my phone to the aux input via a cable. When a call came in, I could have a conversation - it worked quite well - this was a car with no bluetooth connection at all.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
-TARBY-
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 07 330d M Sport Saloon 6 Speed

Read this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706396

Both gadgets listed work properly. I have the small non belkin one in my car. Read my posts. It's a great 'work around'.
      06-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
skyrunner
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2005 320d SE

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a good question.

My feeling is that the phone can only connect to one devise at a time, so if you were listening to music and a call came in, I suspect it wouldn't work properly.

However, I also suspect that you would still hear the caller, but it would go through the aux input - as for them hearing you, if the phone is in the open cabin I expect the mic on the handset would pick up your voice. So, it depends on how much you speak on the phone when driving.

In my old Leon, I connected my phone to the aux input via a cable. When a call came in, I could have a conversation - it worked quite well - this was a car with no bluetooth connection at all.
I have both a Kensington Liquid Aux Bluetooth reciever for audio and a Parrot for hands free.

If I'm streaming music to the Kensington when I get a call in it pauses and transfers the audio to the parot without a problem. I believe iPhones will proritise call audio to a hands free only device rather than an audio receiver.

Hope hat helps!
Appreciate 0