E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Lowered and running 18s in winter

01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
SG07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Lowered and running 18s in winter

I am lowered on kw v1 and currently running winters on 18 inch rims. There are no gaps in the wheel well. For those who are on same boat, can you guys comment on the difficulty in winter driving, in terms of the likelihood of getting stuck? This is my first winter running this setup, just wondering if I should be concerned at all. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
It is also my first winter being lowered and im running 17s. i have about about 10.5 cm clearance. it drove fine in the snow storm last week until i got to my area which was unplowed and i got stuck for a bit luckily my house was close so i grabbed my shovel and dug myself out. im never driving in a snow storm again and also avoid low traffic streets.

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG07 View Post
I am lowered on kw v1 and currently running winters on 18 inch rims. There are no gaps in the wheel well. For those who are on same boat, can you guys comment on the difficulty in winter driving, in terms of the likelihood of getting stuck? This is my first winter running this setup, just wondering if I should be concerned at all. Thx.
You should be fine with winter tires, in and around the city on paved roads. Stay clear of poorly / unpaved roads - I was in the same situation for a few seasons. Snow accumulates a lot faster between the wheels and the fender liner, impairing the ability of the winter tires to grip (claw fresh snow).

All in all, just be even more careful driving lowered in the winter

Momentum is key when it comes to driving a rwd in winter imo.

What is worst about driving a lowered car are times when the snow left in the middle of lanes freezes up over time and is higher than your lip. I can't stand it when I feel contact with frozen snow/ice - awful!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG07 View Post
My car had about 7cm ground clearance running wide (for winter) 19's and I had no issues, but we also didn't have much snow. Since my 19's used 275's and were flush to the fender I decided to switch to an 18" that is a bit more tucked and narrow since it looks like we might get a decent amount of snowfall this year.

With the wheels/tires flush to the fender I was always flinging salt/ice/crap onto the paint and there was absolutely no room to evacuate the snow since my car had no tire to fender gap.

This year with a more tucked wheel/tire combo I'm hoping there will be more space inside the middle area of the wheel wells to evacuate the snow. I also won't be shooting crap onto the paint as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post

What is worst about driving a lowered car are times when the snow left in the middle of lanes freezes up over time and is higher than your lip. I can't stand it when I feel contact with frozen snow/ice - awful!
THISS!! Quite often I would be driving home hearing a non-stop scraping under the car the whole way home
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
THISS!! Quite often I would be driving home hearing a non-stop scraping under the car the whole way home
Oh god I'm not lowered (yet) but I can't even imagine that. If my bumper/lip constantly scraped on ice while driving I'd just pull over and hug my knees and cry till spring.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Kbimmer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

I'm running 18s with stock sports suspension, it is not "really lowered"... but for this first storm in TO I did fine.

Like Dr G said, the most I noticed was the scraping of some "ice rocks" under the car.

The biggest deal for me so far are the spacers, I'm running 225 all around but have 20mm spacers in the back and I can feel all the time the back wheels kinda of "holding" the car back more than usual.
'97 328i Black on Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
SG07
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for input guys. I missed the last snow storm as I was out of town, but based on the aftermath that I saw, I didn't think it was too-too bad of a storm. If you guys were already getting stuck, I think I better go and grab one of those collapsible shovel to keep in trunk just in case. Looks like it'll be an interesting winter, as I don't have a lot of clearance between tire ans fender liner.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Oh god I hate that scraping! My car was dragging a block of ice under it for the length of my whole street until it was ground down enough for it to pass underneath. I think I'm going yo raise up an inch or so this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Scrapings not too bad really, nobody sees under your car anyway haha.
Well.. truthfullly speaking I don't feel like paying for an alignment now and then another alignment in 2 months
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

My car has comp package and sits 1cm lower than a 'normal' model. My clearance is 10cm. I also run wide 18" wheels (219's) with a square 245 tire setup. The two worst things are:

1) getting beached in the unploughed/unplowed snow on our residential street
2) the big ice blocks that fall out of the wheel wells of SUV's and minivans.

I've only actually gotten stuck once, but that was in fairly shallow snow that had ice under it. Every day I scramble to the nearest stop sign and a ploughed/plowed road.

Good luck

James
Edit for mobile users: I'm on Ottawa

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

when i drove in the snow storm last week .. my street was not plowed well and i bumper took a good amount of snow. I also hit a ice block that came off of a truck.

When my bumper smacked into the snow... a little part of me died inside.
      01-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Saintor
Banned
Rep

My car clears only 3.5".

I rarely get stuck. Didn't happen last year or this year so far.

Make sure that snow has been removed in the street 1st.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

second year driving lowered on 18's. I have about 2.5 inch clearance from ground to my side skirt and no finger gap in my fenders. Don't seem to have any issues. Just can't have people weighing over 180 in the back or I rub.
Appreciate 0