E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Airplay via multimedia snap in wiring on CIC

07-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #67
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

So I was about to attempt this but the upgraded AVIN units have caught my eye. Hopefully the BT audio checks out. if so, then I'll probably just go that route.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #68
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
So I was about to attempt this but the upgraded AVIN units have caught my eye. Hopefully the BT audio checks out. if so, then I'll probably just go that route.
Thanks for the pointer - big price difference between the two solutions, but indeed AVIN looks slick (though does have some glitchiness inherent with these kind of 3rd party products by the look of forum posts??)?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #69
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslee2032 View Post
Thanks for the pointer - big price difference between the two solutions, but indeed AVIN looks slick (though does have some glitchiness inherent with these kind of 3rd party products by the look of forum posts??)?
Ya it's definitely another price level tier but for the idrive controller /steering integration is worth it without having to mash like 3 DIY projects together. My biggest concern is still the BT audio quality. The previous version quality was apparently crap.

Also, I probably wouldn't get the AVIN one but this one instead. Looks identical but is about $120 cheaper ($374 right now):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-8-...890322934.html
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #70
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ya it's definitely another price level tier but for the idrive controller /steering integration is worth it without having to mash like 3 DIY projects together. My biggest concern is still the BT audio quality. The previous version quality was apparently crap.

Also, I probably wouldn't get the AVIN one but this one instead. Looks identical but is about $120 cheaper ($374 right now):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-8-...890322934.html

Ah yes, good call with going straight to aliexpress for most probably the same thing. Though I see benefits if getting it from US vendor for possible support?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #71
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, good call with going straight to aliexpress for most probably the same thing. Though I see benefits if getting it from US vendor for possible support?
I usually don't put much weight into customer support. Those guys are usually useless. Also, AVIN has a 20% restocking fee + return shipping if I want to return it whereas Aliexpress has only return shipping BUT for either, if you go through Paypal, they will cover the cost of return shipping.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:49 AM   #72
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I usually don't put much weight into customer support. Those guys are usually useless. Also, AVIN has a 20% restocking fee + return shipping if I want to return it whereas Aliexpress has only return shipping BUT for either, if you go through Paypal, they will cover the cost of return shipping.
Yes true about the usually useless. And fab tip about the return policy + Paypal.

Another one to consider possibly is an American one, one which I'm considering which is new on my radar, NavTool: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1255370

Only reason I went looking was my wife has changed car to one with CarPlay with it, and come IOS 12 later in the year when Apple are finally going to allow Waze and Google Maps for use, I can possibly see this as being something with major use. Again the unit allows other AV inputs, but does take the Aux in line for use.

Only thing is so far, haven't found many/any reviews or videos of the install etc (but prob haven't searched hard enough).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #73
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes true about the usually useless. And fab tip about the return policy + Paypal.

Another one to consider possibly is an American one, one which I'm considering which is new on my radar, NavTool: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1255370

Only reason I went looking was my wife has changed car to one with CarPlay with it, and come IOS 12 later in the year when Apple are finally going to allow Waze and Google Maps for use, I can possibly see this as being something with major use. Again the unit allows other AV inputs, but does take the Aux in line for use.

Only thing is so far, haven't found many/any reviews or videos of the install etc (but prob haven't searched hard enough).
blah. It's $330 for screen mirroring and $550 for carplay... Does it even have the idrive controller integration? I'd rather do this project for screen mirroring or get the full fledged headunit
Appreciate 0