E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Interior Trim Peeling

05-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Interior Trim Peeling

2011 e92. On the doors the long black plastic pieces that have a rubber like covering are peeling. Are these something that can be easily taken off a and sprayed with a charcoal plastidip? Any advise appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Same problem here. Planning on pealing it all off. The hard plastic under looks better to me. I’m afraid that there might be discolored areas where it’s been pealed for some time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
Same problem here. Planning on pealing it all off. The hard plastic under looks better to me. I’m afraid that there might be discolored areas where it’s been pealed for some time.
Peeling works if you have black interior, I'm about 3/4 way through on the door pull. The color underneath is a different shade of black than the window controls, but it doesn't look that off.

Other options is to replace the whole door or buy the replacement part (not all dealers know how to find it well, but someone did post the part number once) and then melt down all the posts like the stock ones. It'll require taking off the door panel and it might be intimidating to some.

For me, peel off the junk and call it a day. Same thing happened with my old 90s circa motorola soft-touch phone. Did the same thing to solve it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
skyliner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

This works!

I had the same problem: the coating on my driver side door pull was peeling off of the plastic.

Since my coated parts are black, I knew I could make the pull look reasonably good if I could just remove all of the coating.

I searched this board and others for a simple solution to coating removal. Lot of them were messy and ineffective, or expensive (part replacement) or damaging (paint remover).

The one technique that seemed promising was suggested by a detailer who, believe it or not, had reasoned that (as he observed), since ordinary hand lotion seemed to damage the coating it ought to be possible to use the lotion as a remover.

It worked for him, so I thought I'd give it a try. On a very hot day (90 degrees), I masked off the door pull and applied Vaseline Intensive Care lotion (a modest amount) and let the car sit for a couple of hours.

When I returned, I was able to peel significant pieces off. Subsequent applications, coupled with gentle scraping (fingernails, plastic, toothpicks) enabled me to get the remainder off.

This technique requires lots of patience, but it works!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
skyliner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Lotion Type

Sorry. I got the brand of lotion wrong. I used "Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion". You won't need a lot of it.
Appreciate 0