E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > New guy introduction/questions

08-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Ginoz32
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan Titan

New guy introduction/questions

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Dave, and I am currently in the market for a 335xi. I used to have a fully built Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (in my gallery...actually one of three Z's I've owned). When the built motor decided to go f**k itself, I started collecting parts for a twin turbo VH45 (4.5l Nissan V8) build/swap, but quickly lost motivation and free time (having a second baby will do that). I sold all my Z stuff and took a temporary hiatus from the car scene...well...now I'm back.

Now that I have a full family, my original love for rwd fast cars has to be slightly altered...which brought me to my new parameters of something AWD, 4 door/seat, decent on gas, and can still be fun and fast, which basically left with me an EVO, a WRX/STI, or a 335XI. Obviously since I'm posting on this forum, I think we can all figure out which car I am leaning towards.

The car will essentially be an all season daily driver for me, though I will be doing some essential mods. I have my eyes set on a nice 2011, but just wanted some first hand experience from those of you who already own these cars...how does the xi perform in snow (assuming decent all weather tires)? How is the automatic transmission, and how does it hold up to mods? I know the big debate over N54/N55...personally, I would like something reliable (n55)...but at the same time easy to mod, and I have no problem getting my hands dirty (I built my 900hp Z with my own hands, other than the machine work)...it just can't leave me stranded.

I know that's a lot to read, but any feedback or advice about what to consider or look at when going to test drive/buy a 335 would be much appreciated! Also if anyone is interested in what all was done (and going to be done) to the Z, feel free to ask...I love to talk cars!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Welcome! I bought a 2012 BMW 335XI 2.5 years ago used. I put an ad in here to sell it but it's really not on the market.

My experience with mine is somewhat typical when you get the mod bug. After trying the customized muffler mod, JB4, etc. route I finally have made some simple mods.

Went to Frank Smith in crofton (techtuning) and got him to flash tune my ride. Went from 300/300 to 370/500 in hp/tqe. The car is blast to drive.

Replaced stock shock with Koni FSD's. Completely transformed the ride to a smooth , bump absorbing vehicle which is what I wanted. No coilover adjusting set up for me. NO lowering springs either. I've tried it before and hated the ride.

Charge pipe , Wagner intercooler, aFe intake, etc. AG 359rims, Corsa Exhaust and back to catted dp from catless.

60k on it now. Replaced the water pump and that's it! Rear brakes coming up soon but other than that it runs great and very reliable. N55 engine THANK YOU!

Just my experience so far. My son has it now (yikes) as I moved to a 550i, go fig. I still love driving the E92 though! I miss the handling and power it has when I went to get stupid and race an EVO.

Good luck with your search and journey!

PS - Conti DWS handle just OK. I haven't much in any snow yet so no feedback there but they're supposed to rank high in TireRack.

Last edited by RMNB; 09-03-2018 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: new stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Ginoz32
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the response! I'm thinking along the same lines...keep it pretty simple. My old Z went from stock, to stage 3 (intake, exhaust, tune), to fully built with all kinds of custom stuff...I don't really want to do that again lol. At least not any time soon (unless I get a beater to commute in). As of right now the plans are intake, downpipe, cat back, charge pipe, intercooler, and a jb4 (and of course some wheels, a good brake setup, and maybe a little in the suspension).

I have a 2011 e90 xi being transferred to my local CarMax, so whenever that shows up (hopefully today or tomorrow) I'll be taking a look at it...then the real deciding factor will be how much they are willing to give me for my truck as a trade-in lol. So here's hoping it all works out...if not, the search continues!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
SeriousE92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

I've owned, modded, worked on, and maintained both N54s and N55s. The lack of reliability with N54s is WAY overblown in my opinion and candidly prefer N54s more due to how strong they are out of the factory. I've had two DD N54s now (one was FBO and the other completely stock), both of which were as reliable as anything I've ever owned.

Speaking of clean 335xi's for sale, check out the link to the one I have for sale now.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529842
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Ginoz32
Registered
Rep

I'm completely open to an N54 as well, I know like all cars, the majority of problems (read majority, not every single one) can be prevented by simple maintenance and just taking care of the car. As for your car, she looks great...I would prefer to do a dealership just because I have a truck to get rid of (trade in) that I still owe on...plus for ease of getting it registered in MD...BUT...if things don't work out with the one I'm looking at this week I will definitely be in touch!
Appreciate 0