E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Diag Battery Safety Terminal

01-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
fubarian
upgrades. Upgrades, EVERYWHERE
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, E63 M6, F25, M550xi

Diag Battery Safety Terminal

Been fighting a good fight with my 335xi and trying everything to get it running properly -- and based on some other posts, I think it might be the BST or Battery Safety Terminal. Why? The car acts like it has no engine or transmission and displays a buncha warnings on the display but when I plug into the ODB it's like "naw, nothing here, plug in first". Interior lights and all come on, when you hit the button, a lot of clicking and no action. Do it again, it tries but doesn't start. It does have the passenger side restraint warning which after looking that up, could be either the pad sensor or this BST. Oh and I don't want to do the resistor trick. Not yet.

So, I'm wondering - is there a way I can positively ID this is the problem? How do I know this 200$ cable is to blame? I recently replaced the battery with a brand new OEM so yes, I've been around that area and it's entirely possible I caused damage to the cable when installing.

Can I check for voltage, resistance, any of those things and are their specs for it or something like that? I suspect it's not fully failed (ie, esploded), but might be just outside of tolerance enough to cause me nothing but christmas cheer.
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 0