E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Budget friendly / Cheap CIC retrofit!!!

05-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

I have a 2007 E92 n54 and like most you I've wanted to do the CIC retrofit however couldn't budget and justify the cost. Popular vendors like Beemerretrofit want $1300+ for their kit, which was just too steep in my opinion, until I came across Nickco43

https://cicretrofit.com/

Nick sells used CIC units pre-coded with complete technical support at a bargain from $675-700. Nick will even send you pics of the unit before he ships them so you are assured a good unit before pulling the trigger. Mine was virtually in new condition.

I ordered my CIC unit from Nick and it came neatly boxed with the CIC unit, CIC screen, connectors, cables, and even a K+Dcan cable that are required. I followed the step by step in the youtube link below with Nick available for additional support and must say if you are somewhat technically savvy, this retrofit is not too difficult to do!

I had issues with a blown fuse and the CIC omitting sound due to me being an idiot and reattaching the battery prematurely. However, with Nick's guidance and expertise he was able to walk me through step-by-step to troubleshoot the issue all the way to the TCU, Mulf and MOST connectors in the trunk to finding the blown fuse behind the glove box and I got to learn something along the way .

Not only does the CIC breath new life into your older car but here are noticeable reasons to do this upgrade:

- The quickness of the CIC compared to the CCC is drastic. I would hate the load times of the CCC to navigate around the interface. For example when receiving or dialing a bluetooth call on the CCC it was literally a second and a half delay between my phone ringing and the unit acknowledging the call

- Music selection and track info from connected phone is so much better.

- Being able to actually turn off the display screen long late night drives instead of that blacked out LCD that's on at all times and still annoying.

- Logic7, if you have a Logic7 the CIC units L7 settings boosts your stereo output noticeably compared to the CCC. My stereo system is so much more dynamic and louder compared to before! It used to be that with the CCC I would max volume until the dial kept spinning and spinning to the right, now with the CIC it sounds like a brand new stereo system! So much so that I'm not considering getting an aftermarket amp any longer.

- Speed limiter. Never found this setting or don't believe it's there on the CCC, but on the CIC I'm now warned and gonged when I'm driving over 85mph.

- Uploading music via thumb-drive to the hard-drive of the unit.

- DVD in motion! It's nice being able to insert a DVD into my unit and watch a movie or music videos on a drive! (For your passengers of course)

- Updated navigation system.

I am so extremely happy with this retrofit upgrade Car feels new and modern again! I would like to thank Nick for his support and expertise; I never felt stuck somewhere or clueless on what to do.

Last edited by nicky dj; 05-02-2019 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

UPDDATE: I also went ahead and purchased the Combox that installs in the rear trunk. This is a little more difficult than the CIC unit install, but if you can use a socket wrench and repin some wires I highly suggest doing (Nick was available for support if needed here too).

I now have seamless OEM bluetooth audio!!! And can finally get rid of that crap Y-Cable and use just the lightning cable to USB.

The BMW Connected apps are also now available in the interface, even though I find them quite cumbersome to use.

Finally, from the BMW Connected app on iPhone I can send my map addresses straight to my navigation system. No need to manually input the address through the iDrive.

Now I just need to find out if I can watch .mp4 movies somehow just like the DVD in motion (even though this would be a bonus to all things said)
Appreciate 3
      05-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
How long did it take to do the install?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
How long did it take to do the install?
Without my popped fuse issue, about 1-2 hours. Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal in the trunk first. Also, place some towels down around the gear shift. I scratched my trim pulling out the unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Might be looking at going this route by the end of the day. My audio keeps cutting in and out (but only when the engine is running) and the dealer told me their only solution is to reprogram. HOWEVER, they said by doing so it may cause the CCC to crash and then it will be dead... Not the best design in my opinion, but that's BMW ownership ha. So if they call me today saying it's fried, I'll be contacting Nick

UPDATE 9/12/19: Yeah they're telling me I need a new CCC. So I'm going to give the CIC upgrade a shot!

Last edited by ccraig13; 09-12-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
Might be looking at going this route by the end of the day. My audio keeps cutting in and out (but only when the engine is running) and the dealer told me their only solution is to reprogram. HOWEVER, they said by doing so it may cause the CCC to crash and then it will be dead... Not the best design in my opinion, but that's BMW ownership ha. So if they call me today saying it's fried, I'll be contacting Nick

UPDATE 9/12/19: Yeah they're telling me I need a new CCC. So I'm going to give the CIC upgrade a shot!
It's definitely worth it! I'm still loving my CIC to this day, especially with the combox additional retrofit for Bluetooth audio. It's given new life to my car when the CCC made it feel outdated and old and I was questioning selling the car. I wouldn't even bother trying to fix your CCC.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
Resetg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Glad I found this post! I was just thinking of doing this to my e90. Few questions for ya.

Did you have to switch out the knob in the center console? I guess the appropriate question would be did you have to switch it out? Did you have to change out the plug in the center console where the audio jack is with one with a USB port?

I've read a few contradicting things about those.

Sorry for the random post but I also want to be able to have access to this information again later.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #8
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resetg View Post
Glad I found this post! I was just thinking of doing this to my e90. Few questions for ya.

Did you have to switch out the knob in the center console? I guess the appropriate question would be did you have to switch it out? Did you have to change out the plug in the center console where the audio jack is with one with a USB port?

I've read a few contradicting things about those.

Sorry for the random post but I also want to be able to have access to this information again later.
No the pre-LCI controller works just fine with the CIC. I eventually ended up buying a used CIC controller from eBay and it installs plug-n-play. You'll just need to update the center trim because the fitment/size of the controllers are different. I bought a used center trim from eBay as well and just wrapped it.

As far as the center console interface, the USB works just the same with the CIC. If you end up getting the Combox, you lose the aux audio jack but who cares when you got Bluetooth audio
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Kevink15
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Thanks for the post. Been researching CIC upgrades vs Androids. Though with Android it would be good to have Carplay, I just can't get past the fact the audio sucks and who knows how slow these units will eventually get. I'm going to start sourcing CIC parts for the retrofit and will also be looking into the combox.

Last edited by Kevink15; 09-24-2019 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink15 View Post
Thanks for the post. Been researching CIC upgrades vs Androids. Though with Android it would be good to have Carplay, I just can't get past the fact the audio sucks and who knows how slow these units will eventually get. I'm going to start sourcing CIC parts for the retrofit and will also be looking into the combox.
Yeah saw some of the Android unit videos and Carplay is tempting, but the quality just doesn't seem to be there. Hopefully I'll hear back soon about the used CIC (He said it would be 2-3 weeks) and I'll share my results!
      10-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Anyone know what it going on with Nickco43 (cicretrofit.com), site is no longer up (currently set to private), I emailed him in September and he said it would be 2-3 weeks to get a kit and now he is not responding to email and PM, not sure if he is going out of business or something has happened (hope not) he seems to be active on here still - was a gift for my sons birthday and he had the only decent price.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #12
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Anyone know what it going on with Nickco43 (cicretrofit.com), site is no longer up (currently set to private), I emailed him in September and he said it would be 2-3 weeks to get a kit and now he is not responding to email and PM, not sure if he is going out of business or something has happened (hope not) he seems to be active on here still - was a gift for my sons birthday and he had the only decent price.
No idea and unfortunate to hear, hopefully nothing drastic. Stand up guy.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I am currently battling some health issues. I would like to start making the kits again but I am not sure when I will be fit to do so. Even though I can't help it, I am disappointed in myself since creating these kits was so meaningful to me. Currently I am only doing warranty work on as needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I am currently battling some health issues. I would like to start making the kits again but I am not sure when I will be fit to do so. Even though I can't help it, I am disappointed in myself since creating these kits was so meaningful to me. Currently I am only doing warranty work on as needed.
I hope you get better soon! Your work has been inspiring to follow and continues to be a huge resource to the community.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Sorry to hear you are having health issues, I wish you a speedy recovery and good health!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #16
Tevaws
Rep
Drives: ‘97 E36 Frankenvert, ‘08 E93

Hope the same for you Nickco43 and your health improve for you. I was just a few weeks late of trying to get in touch with you. I need some advice and expertise as I attempted to do a CIC retrofit, turned into a total failure and I reverted back to the original config. Happy to pay you for your time, when the time is right. I feel I was close to getting this done, and the coding/some wiring mistakes. I’ll keep an eye out on this post and continue searching the forum.
      10-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #17
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh ok I was wondering why I hadn’t heard back from him and decided to come back here on a whim. Glad I did! Hope you feel better soon, Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #18
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
Quote:
I hope you get better soon! Your work has been inspiring to follow and continues to be a huge resource to the community.
Agreed. Wish and hope all the best for you, Nick. Guys like you are inspirational to the communities and forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #19
Tevaws
Rep

Some questions on this topic. So, I have an e93 with L7 and satnav but no Bluetooth. Finally found the post about where the MOST junction box/hub is. It’s Behind the rear passenger drivers side arm rest panel. My car has only one TCU white plug in the trunk and I’m not yet sure if I’ll find a blue MULF plug. I thought all the wiring harnesses were the same across all e90 cars (could be wrong) Anyone know if some cars might have the only the TCU harness (single white plug)?

if I install a combox, does the existing satellite radio box in the center of the trunk get disconnected? If so, assuming I put a MOST terminator loop on that connector

Where is the pre-wiring located for a CD changer on the e93?

Is it also necessary to access the MOST junction box and futz with those pins and wiring anytime you convert to the combox?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevaws View Post
Some questions on this topic. So, I have an e93 with L7 and satnav but no Bluetooth. Finally found the post about where the MOST junction box/hub is. It’s Behind the rear passenger drivers side arm rest panel. My car has only one TCU white plug in the trunk and I’m not yet sure if I’ll find a blue MULF plug. I thought all the wiring harnesses were the same across all e90 cars (could be wrong) Anyone know if some cars might have the only the TCU harness (single white plug)?

if I install a combox, does the existing satellite radio box in the center of the trunk get disconnected? If so, assuming I put a MOST terminator loop on that connector

Where is the pre-wiring located for a CD changer on the e93?

Is it also necessary to access the MOST junction box and futz with those pins and wiring anytime you convert to the combox?
I recommend starting a new thread so we can answer your questions more directly!

Not all cars have the same wiring harness. If you have SA 640 bluetooth prep and do not have SA 6FL as we previously discussed, you only have a TCU plug and no MULF2 plug. If you're not sure, take a picture of the TCU/MULF area (just beyond the trunk, I believe under the rear seats) and/or share the last 7 digits of your VIN and I can look.

You do not need to disconnect the satellite unit but it will be ignored by the CIC and will serve no further purpose once you retrofit the combox as you will advance the build year. If you are a subscriber and want to keep using it, you will need to route the antenna to the dash and plug it directly into your CIC. Your CIC will need a satellite radio FSC. You have the option of removing the satellite radio unit which will require terminating the MOST connector and/or disabling it at the junction box.

I have no idea where the CD changer pre-wiring is in an e93, I presume it's next to the logic 7 amp? I'll let someone else answer this.

Reconfiguration of the MOST junction box for combox retrofit is only required for cars that have neither TCU nor ULF (MULF2 etc), because the MOST connector for the TCU is not active.

Here is a completely hypothetical diagram of your MOST junction:

1->2
2->3
3->4
4->1
5->5

1. CIC, 2. Diagnostic Port, 3. L7 amp, 4. Satellite Box, 5. TCU port (I'm just guessing as to the order, and there might be extra wires for a CD changer etc.)

You can see how 1 through 4 make a ring, and 5 is not in the circuit at all? You would reconfigure it to look like this:

1->2
2->3
3->4
4->5
5->1

Now port 5 is in the ring. See here for the official BMW instructions explaining this. Taken from this thread. Be careful, fiber optic cables are delicate, and if you reconfigure it incorrectly then nothing will work. Label everything as you go. Ideally you would remove the entire liner of your trunk and your seats so you can trace everything, but you could also just use a tiny but powerful flashlight to trace the lines (if you light up one end, you will see it on the other). I have not tried this before, so my instructions may not be complete - ask around here as others have done this. Or pay a shop $100 to do it for you.

Last edited by FaxData; 10-23-2019 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #21
Tevaws
Rep

Thanks @FaxData. I’ll start a separate thread or contact you on a DM. There’s a couple other things I’d like your opinion on.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #22
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
Amen!