E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UPDATE: Injector Port Ovaling Fix

07-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstere92 View Post
How long has this fix been holding up ? I just ran into this same issue with injector 1.
It will depend on how large the issues is. Try new seal, maybe copper seal? before you go KClemente route which is quite possibly permanent repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
Monstere92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 335i coupe

Garage List
2014 Bmw m5  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335i coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
It will depend on how large the issues is. Try new seal, maybe copper seal? before you go KClemente route which is quite possibly permanent repair.
What’s the process of the permanent repair ?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #25
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstere92 View Post
What’s the process of the permanent repair ?
1-new head
or
2-see post #20
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #26
dreyo27
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

any updates on this? have the same issue on cyl 6
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:18 AM   #27
Jwa93
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

KClemente

Any luck with anything , I am going through the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #28
jplong
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

I have recently run into this exact problem as well. wondering if anyone make a full stainless sleeve that can be inserted into the port after you ream it out oversized. much like a sleeved cylinder. If you pressurize the cyl with an air line into the spark plug (make sure valves are seated) you can eliminate any debris and shavings from dropping into the cyl. but you would need a reamer to cut away the worn aluminum in the port. then take a cold sleeve (fit tolerance) and drop it in then the injector should NEVER wear the port ever again.

thoughts? would imagine someone with a lathe could make the sleeves. the reamer would be tricky though.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #29
PPIFPR.COM
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, bmw 335i e92

There is a fix for this. I designed it and have the patent on it. (Patent pending at the moment) attached is link to it and also a video from a customer. Enjoy!

https://ppifpr.com/ppi-n54-injector-bore-repair-kit/

Last edited by PPIFPR.COM; 11-28-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      07-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #30
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

I have the same exact problem on cylinder 6 of my N55. Just bought the kit today, hopefully this kit can be sent quickly so I can jump on the job this Saturday. Will document how things go. I've been chasing a ghost boost leak and come to find out cylinder 6 does have a missing decoupler when I pull it out. This has gotta be why I can't run boost beyond 10 psi or go WOT all out.

Last edited by yupetc; 08-01-2022 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 04:58 AM   #31
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

That's how my cyl 3 injector looked like when I pulled it to do injectors 20,000 kms ago. Previous guy didn't use a decoupler either. Haven't had any issues hopefully stays that way when I turn up the Power more
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      08-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #32
yupetc
Captain
Rep

On the PPI kit, I'll also mention that they are the most responsible people I've ever dealt with. Few days after ordering, the package got stalled within the UPS ground network. Don't know what happened, UPS missed their delivery eta and there aren't any subsequent scanned update for 3 days. I contacted PPI right away and they jumped on a call with UPS customer service for me. At this time, PPI says if there aren't any update or movement within the same day, they'd send me another set. I just couldn't believe it, such stand-up service is first ever seen in my experience.

Though I haven't gotten the kit or gotten started with the repair, I'll say that I run a manufacturing plant and deal with nearby machine shops. The items in this kit may not be much, but having to machine a tapered bore with that much precision isn't easy. The price tag is actually very justified if you go for 6 pieces at a time through the machine shop. Although savings can be greatly generated if you buy many more; but having a company like PPI stocking these items for us is just such convenience; plus their service is unparalleled. I can't wait to get the kit and get my N55 running on 22+ psi boost soon. Point is, I don't do much vouching nor positive reviews, but these folks at PPI really deserve it; and henceforth, they got my vote. BTW, I figured, buying this kit beats having to go source another head (even a used eBay head) out there, then go through the whole top end rebuild, re-time everything, just too much work and cost much higher. From the youtube video they show, this job isn't that bad; so absolutely worth the money. I'll be updating my progress for sure.

Last edited by yupetc; 08-01-2022 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #33
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Thought it might be worth mentioning my issues with my e70 x5 35i with the n55. So the upper portion of the engine compartment has a partition that is supposed to keep put all water, mainly from rain runoff from the windshield when the car is at a stand still. Long story short my motor spun a rod bearing on cyl 1 after the oil filter housing gasket was done, I didn’t “prime” the engine before starting for the first time and I’m assuming that’s what did it in. When I went to remove the injectors, cyl 1, 2, and 3 came out no problem with the special tool I ordered. Cyl 4, 5, and 6 were a diff story, bc my engine compartment partition was broken. The car sat for awhile (almost 3 years) before I decided to tear into it and rebuild it myself. Cyl 4, 5, and 6 injectors were literally fused into the cyl head with corrosion. I ended up removing the head which I had to do anyways when doing the rebuild and had to “pop” them out from the bottom.

Now here’s where things got tricky. When I finally got the old injectors out, I realized cyl 5 and 6 didn’t have decoupling rings on them and thought the same as most of you, that the previous person installed them without them. What I didn’t realize at the time was that the decoupling rings were still stuck in the head! Was an absolute nightmare to get them out.

Moral of the story, when you get an injector out that was really in there and it comes out without a decoupling Ring, be sure to look back into the cyl heads injector port and be sure it’s not still in there. Will save you a bunch of time and headaches. Also if you have an e70 and your engine compartment upper partition is broken or not sealing anymore, do yourself a favor and replace it immediately!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:58 AM   #34
Pot_Pie_35i
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i (PTE 6466)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
On the PPI kit, I'll also mention that they are the most responsible people I've ever dealt with. Few days after ordering, the package got stalled within the UPS ground network. Don't know what happened, UPS missed their delivery eta and there aren't any subsequent scanned update for 3 days. I contacted PPI right away and they jumped on a call with UPS customer service for me. At this time, PPI says if there aren't any update or movement within the same day, they'd send me another set. I just couldn't believe it, such stand-up service is first ever seen in my experience.

Though I haven't gotten the kit or gotten started with the repair, I'll say that I run a manufacturing plant and deal with nearby machine shops. The items in this kit may not be much, but having to machine a tapered bore with that much precision isn't easy. The price tag is actually very justified if you go for 6 pieces at a time through the machine shop. Although savings can be greatly generated if you buy many more; but having a company like PPI stocking these items for us is just such convenience; plus their service is unparalleled. I can't wait to get the kit and get my N55 running on 22+ psi boost soon. Point is, I don't do much vouching nor positive reviews, but these folks at PPI really deserve it; and henceforth, they got my vote. BTW, I figured, buying this kit beats having to go source another head (even a used eBay head) out there, then go through the whole top end rebuild, re-time everything, just too much work and cost much higher. From the youtube video they show, this job isn't that bad; so absolutely worth the money. I'll be updating my progress for sure.
How did the repair go??
Is it still holding up?
Is your engine full of metal shavings and imploding?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:32 AM   #35
yupetc
Captain
Rep

I got the inserts installed on cylinders 5 and 6. #6 was my first stab at it, and I'm guessing my kit is a newer iteration of the set to where once you're on the tap, the old kit has a stopper ring to stop the tap before it goes too deep. Where as for me when I was doing mine, I've accidentally gone too far with the tap and it has a complete pass through the port and more. It actually reached the crown of the piston and that's how I feel a much larger resistance to know when to stop. The problem is that port #6 is located all the way to the fire wall and with the hood in the way I'm just about doing it blind, and it's easy to not see how far I've gone with it.

Anyway, long story short, the sleeves went in fine, ran the car for about 5 months or so without much issues except for some very ghostly MAP codes happening on the intake side. Even have gone through replacing a brand new OEM valvecover as a precaution. And on a drive back from San Antonio, that port crapped out and stretched the injector open to continuously leak fuel while driving. Was able to limp mode home on 4 cylinders on a 100 or so mile stretch. After I go through opening everything up, yeah, need a new head, the injector's sealing gutter has caught the PPI insert and that's what stretched it open. Luckily everything else is intact so after a new head went in, all issues are finally resolved. Not saying PPI's inserts are the cause of issues, they actually did hold up well, I think if there's any finger pointing to do, it's on my own accord that the job probably hasn't been performed correctly because my insert has gone too deep and I did back it out 2 turns blindly, not really knowing where the landing should be. So yeah, injector has finally been caught in the right place for this failure. When you guys are doing such a repair, just be as careful as you can and think the whole procedure through. On a repair like this, I'll say: no compromises are allowed in this type of work.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-19-2023, 02:19 PM   #36
Pot_Pie_35i
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i (PTE 6466)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post

Anyway, long story short, the sleeves went in fine, ran the car for about 5 months or so without much issues except for some very ghostly MAP codes happening on the intake side. Even have gone through replacing a brand new OEM valvecover as a precaution. And on a drive back from San Antonio, that port crapped out and stretched the injector open to continuously leak fuel while driving. Was able to limp mode home on 4 cylinders on a 100 or so mile stretch. After I go through opening everything up, yeah, need a new head, the injector's sealing gutter has caught the PPI insert and that's what stretched it open. Luckily everything else is intact so after a new head went in, all issues are finally resolved. Not saying PPI's inserts are the cause of issues, they actually did hold up well, I think if there's any finger pointing to do, it's on my own accord that the job probably hasn't been performed correctly because my insert has gone too deep and I did back it out 2 turns blindly, not really knowing where the landing should be. So yeah, injector has finally been caught in the right place for this failure. When you guys are doing such a repair, just be as careful as you can and think the whole procedure through. On a repair like this, I'll say: no compromises are allowed in this type of work.
Thanks for the update, sorry your head had to be replaced. So both injector 5 and 6 failed at the same time? You saying the sleeves were installed too high in the head and caused a rub between the bottom lip of the sleeve and the seal gutter?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 02:57 PM   #37
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot_Pie_35i View Post
Thanks for the update, sorry your head had to be replaced. So both injector 5 and 6 failed at the same time? You saying the sleeves were installed too high in the head and caused a rub between the bottom lip of the sleeve and the seal gutter?
Yes, the insert was too high, correct. Seal gutter caught the sleeve's bottom and ripped the tip apart.

Only #6 did get ripped apart. #5 stayed intact, but all the leaked gasoline from 6 seeped over to #5 causing that injector to also go bad.
Appreciate 0