E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Porsche 710n Diverter Valves

03-27-2023, 07:00 AM   #23
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
on the topic of off-throttle boost and what to do with it....

turner motorsport's narrative of dv's vs bov's....of course written by a co that sells product (but in fairness sells dv's and bov's)....

"All of the tuning in the world is only as good as the weakest link. More boost in your 135/335 is great! But you will soon learn that some of the factory hardware is not up to the task of handling that extra pressure. One of the first things to fail and cause a boost leak are the factory boost diverter valves. This allows boost to "leak" out of the intake stream and a loss of power from the engine. This ECS Tuning chargepipe upgrade includes a blow-off valve in place of the factory diverter valves. The BOV is higher quality than the diverter valves and will exit intake air to the outside instead of putting it back through the turbo system (which will reduce strain on the turbos). This aluminum chargepipe is also much more robust than the stock plastic factory pipe and the connection to the throttle body is stronger, eliminating another failure point of the stock pipe."
Why don't you want to go with a BOV? Are you just worried about the added sound? The look? Just wondering.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3851.50
      03-27-2023, 02:19 PM   #24
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not him, but that's basically my reason for it. And the claims that Diverters vent leftover boost back into the inlets and help Turbo spool. There are a few people who have reported that they do nothing for spool and are just another useless/pointless government regulation for emissions (can't just have "anything" VTA) but I digress. I like them because they are quiet; if they do indeed and are documented to help with spool, that would make them and even better choice in my eyes
      03-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #25
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

That's a nice budget setup, I personally went with the Forge DV's way back in the day and I'm happy to say I have not had a single issue with them in many years.

They are definitely not as cheap as this setup, but metal constructions and seemingly great reliability so far. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3851.50
      03-28-2023, 05:35 PM   #26
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Forge and Turbosmart diverters are probably very good and have a lot of satisfied customers running either setup. I say probably because I don't have any personal experience with either except holding the Forge box in my hands and repacking for a return
My knowledge is only limited to parroting what others have reported online about them

This mod in question is for people who are looking to keep a more OEM+ setup and retain the plastic diaphragms. Those deadset on upgrading the diverters to billet/metal can consider the RKX 710Ns posted earlier for pennies, or are more than welcome to go full aftermarket with the Forge/Turbosmart setups. However if similar or superior performance can be obtained for a fraction of the price and looks OEM+, I will always try pursue the OEM+ option
      03-29-2023, 02:53 AM   #27
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
That's a nice budget setup, I personally went with the Forge DV's way back in the day and I'm happy to say I have not had a single issue with them in many years.

They are definitely not as cheap as this setup, but metal constructions and seemingly great reliability so far. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Re...hoCxRAQAvD_BwE

Will be getting them myself with the black finish, they are known to be reliable not sure how much it is in the US but it isn't expensive in the UK.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 09:58 AM   #28
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Re...hoCxRAQAvD_BwE

Will be getting them myself with the black finish, they are known to be reliable not sure how much it is in the US but it isn't expensive in the UK.
Man they are a smashing good deal over there. Back in the day I think i paid like $4-$500 for the kit. I just saw them at ECS for nearly $360.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-forge-pa...IaAkU9EALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #29
The Pork Hunt
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i xdrive msport

Late to the discussion as I'm rarely on here these days but I've been using them on my 335 for years and they work great ~19psi. I use them on my 996tt around the same boost and my old b5 s4 was pushing 24-27psi with these dv's no issue at all for years. For the dv connection point I cut the ends off of the plastic hoses, wrapped some rubber tape around the ribbed hose and used silicone connectors to mate the dv's to the hose. Seems to work well, I'll grab some pics a little later and toss them on.
Appreciate 0