E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 only chrome trim removal, how to??

12-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

E93 only chrome trim removal, how to??

I'm wanting to vinyl wrap all the chrome trim on my E93 M3 but I'm struggling to get it all off. I am planning to, as best I can tuck it all in to be less detectable, hence the removal. The upper door trim is screwed in unlike the E92, so that's easy but the lower trim seems to be glued onto the weather stripping. I've watched several videos of guys prying it off from E90 and 92's, however, I am doing exactly as described and cannot get it off without damaging it or bending it. I've had a corner pulled up and it looks like there is some sort of residue or glue keeping it securely attached.

Is it glued on the E93? If not why am I struggling?

Also how do I pull off the rear trunk piece that wraps around the lower part of the aft deck lid?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

if it's stuck on with tape, run a piece of fishing line under it and saw through the tape.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
jpimienta123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 bmw 335i

The upper trim is screwed in? I have an e93 335i and have not been able to find a way to remove it, how did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
if it's stuck on with tape, run a piece of fishing line under it and saw through the tape.
this is a great idea, ill try this weekend.

now the real question is what type of fishing line? monofilament, braided, or fluorocarbon?

sorry i had to, i fish for a hobby.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimienta123 View Post
The upper trim is screwed in? I have an e93 335i and have not been able to find a way to remove it, how did you do it?
Ill see about taking a couple pics this weekend. but....

if your sitting in the drivers seat there is a large thick seal the has a felt like material on it located on the window frame pillar. this is just pressure fitted on. find a seam and pull it out from there. then you'll see that the chrome trim piece has its own seal that is lightly pressed in as well. this pulls out super easy and exposes the screws that hold the chrome piece on.

I believe that these pieces are actually polished aluminium. I always assumed they were just some cheap thin chrome plated metal formed over plastic like american cars.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
mb443
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i 6MT Sport

For the lower window trim, if it's at all similar to E90 it is next to impossible to re-install the trim piece into the weather stripping channel once its been removed. And removing the weather stripping itself from the door will likely bends the metal frame embedded into the strip causing irreparable damage/deformation.

There are videos online of people doing it without seeming to need much effort, but also lots of forum threads where acknowledged that its a PITA job.

The vinyl shop that did the upper trim on my car went ahead and removed the lower window trim despite me warning them not to. Surprise... they were not able to put it back in

I ended up buying black OEM 328i lower trim pieces from the dealer, and had the shop match the vinyl used for the upper trim to the OEM parts. Not cheap but excellent results.
FBO | JB4 G5 ISO + pump BEF (94oct) | Turbosmart DualPort DVs | 335is/550i clutch | BMS DCI, OCC, diff lockdown, etc | RE trans mounts & shifter bushings | Shiftek DSSR | ZHP knob | PS AS3+ on stock 162s
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #7
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just don't remove it. It's way more of a pain in the ass. Just do a good job wrapping it, no one will notice.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb443 View Post
For the lower window trim, if it's at all similar to E90 it is next to impossible to re-install the trim piece into the weather stripping channel once its been removed. And removing the weather stripping itself from the door will likely bends the metal frame embedded into the strip causing irreparable damage/deformation.

There are videos online of people doing it without seeming to need much effort, but also lots of forum threads where acknowledged that its a PITA job.

The vinyl shop that did the upper trim on my car went ahead and removed the lower window trim despite me warning them not to. Surprise... they were not able to put it back in

I ended up buying black OEM 328i lower trim pieces from the dealer, and had the shop match the vinyl used for the upper trim to the OEM parts. Not cheap but excellent results.
The weather stripping came of the door super easy. It just pulls right up and slides back in with ease. It is very rigid and looks to have some metal running through it.

I think I'll just remove what I can and the rest will have to stay.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:53 AM   #9
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Just wrap it.
      12-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Soooo

The Windshield pillar is the only trim piece that I have found to be screwed in. the other pieces are installed similar to the lower door window trim where the chrome piece is formed and appears to be glued into the weather seal and those seals are then screwed in. i removed completely the pillar trim piece and wrapped it and left the remaining trim on and wrapped them on the car. i have yet to finish the lower door window pieces and the deck lid as Im not sure how much i like it. I think it looks better then chrome but haven't decided if it the looks warrant me finishing it up. Ill leave it as is for a few days and go from there.
take a peek!

-Mark
Appreciate 0