E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > driving RWD e90 in Montreal, CA

12-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

driving RWD e90 in Montreal, CA

planning to take a winter driving trip from NYC to Montreal.

I have a 2006 325i 6pd on bridgestone all seasons (NOT WINTER TIRES). how bad would this be?

Also, would you do this trip with snow tires? or just opt for a SUV rental.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
kasirgali
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post

I have a 2006 325i 6pd on bridgestone all seasons (NOT WINTER TIRES). how bad would this be?

i am living in monreal first of all you are not aloud to drive with all seasons tire second, i realy don't thing is a good idea to drive RWD car in montreal atlease you have realy good winter tires. if you are lucky we don't have any snow fall inside your trip plan you should be ok Don't take chance rent an suv
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

You need winter tires, all seasons won’t cut it at all
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

It's gonna be terrible. How do you even drive in NYC in winter with all seasons.

Frankly I wouldn't even want you to drive over here without winter tires since you risk crashing into others. Why it's a law here as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Isn't winter tires mandatory in Quebec?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Snow tires on your car will still be better than whatever all seasons you get on a rental SUV. My father got hit last winter in his Grand Cherokee and it was in the repair shop for a few weeks. His rental was a brand new Rav4 with all-seaons. I had to drive him to work because the thing wouldn't make it up the hill on his street when we had a 2" snow storm.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:

Make sure to carry a few spares for all the potholes!
      12-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

-1st when and for how long?
Unless there's a massive snow storm, montreal is most likely snow free. tons of money is injected in city snow removal.

the only concern would be ice rain, since the winters are warmer, we have a lot of black ice. A proper ice tire OR studded snow tire is a nice to have.

- 2nd , where?

Most montreal area are crazy on salt and gravel. in my street 2cm and they get the snowblowers out.

- 3rd, before the ''winter tire law'' plenty of people were driving their shit box with all season. A good brand and a good shape all season tire, would be just fine on snow. Like I said, the issue here would be icy roads.

-4th, you can have a exemption to avoid a fine. Only quebec registered vehicle are submitted to this law anyway.

https://www.caaquebec.com/en/on-the-...larifications/

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 12-09-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Thanks all.

Did not realize that was a law in The Canada.

Going sometime last week of December, likely to be snow i think.

Going to be driving from nyc to Quebec (the city) and surrounding tourist spots.

Probably just going to rent an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Thanks all.

Did not realize that was a law in The Canada.

Going sometime last week of December, likely to be snow i think.

Going to be driving from nyc to Quebec (the city) and surrounding tourist spots.

Probably just going to rent an SUV.
It's not a law in Canada as a whole, only in Quebec province and in BC is only in certain mountainous areas.

The SUV is going to have winter tires right? If not then there is no point.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
It's not a law in Canada as a whole, only in Quebec province and in BC is only in certain mountainous areas.

The SUV is going to have winter tires right? If not then there is no point.
not getting rear ended but an other tourist with summer/all season tire?

This is the main reason why I'm storing the quattro. No matter if you have a quattro with studded hakka9, you'll might find in your ass a beautiful elantra with worn out winters or worn out all season tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Hope the weather holds up, they do get quite a bit more snow up in Quebec than we do further south.

It's a long drive and it would be best to bring a safe ride to suit the weather, check weather reports and google maps for detours if necessary.

Winter tires are a good idea in the winter when it's <-10C no matter the conditions. It isn't the law in Ontario but I think it should be sometimes.. The drivers in Quebec I think are more aggressive but they're "good" drivers for the most part, which may be from them all being on the same page tire wise.

The ice hotel opens in January if you haven't set a specific date yet and the old port area is gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

First, you're weight distro is 50/50. Second, drive with a light foot. Third, you can throw two 50 lb bags of sand in the trunk, to help with traction.

Finally, if the snow is too bad, stay off the road, and remember Montreal knows how to deal with snow - you won't be grounded for very long.

And really, really finally, ice will be a problem no matter what tires are on the car, and even if you have 8-wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's gonna be terrible. How do you even drive in NYC in winter with all seasons.

Frankly I wouldn't even want you to drive over here without winter tires since you risk crashing into others. Why it's a law here as well.
Learned to drive in snow in Chicago on a g35 6sp with summer tires. Basically impossible to drive in anything above 2 inches. That was a pretty harsh starting point.

Nyc with a low torque car is easy peasy. Never really drove in higher than an inch of snow tho. Very good snow clearing/city planning + light winters.

I thought Canada might be worse than Chicago and nyc, but maybe I am over thinking. Am taking highways and visiting a major city after all.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasirgali View Post
i am living in monreal first of all you are not aloud to drive with all seasons tire second, i realy don't thing is a good idea to drive RWD car in montreal atlease you have realy good winter tires. if you are lucky we don't have any snow fall inside your trip plan you should be ok Don't take chance rent an suv
I always wondered where all the regular tires are stored for the rental cars at the airports. The rental cars always have 4 snow tires when I fly into Dorval or Pearson, although I don't believe 4 snows are required in Ontario.

To drive in Montréal without snow tires would be like the Canadiens not doing the press conference in French! Or to go into Crappy Tire and not see a gazillion kinds of ice hockey skates for a 3 y.o.! (got my son some sweet Vics last year)

here is one link

https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/ar...ory-in-canada/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
I drove five winters in NY/NJ with a RWD Toyota Tacoma with all season tires. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't have any issues. There were virtually NO hills or slopes and everything was level. Also, in NJ at least, as soon as a few snowflakes fall from the sky, the salt trucks are out dumping a ridiculous amount of salt. The roads never got a chance to accumulate any snow.

There were only a handful of times I had to drive to work where there was a decent amount of snow on the road, more specifically the local streets (highways and turnpike were always fine). During those days, I would fill the back of my truck with the snow I just shoveled off my sidewalk and that extra weight helped with traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I always wondered where all the regular tires are stored for the rental cars at the airports. The rental cars always have 4 snow tires when I fly into Dorval or Pearson, although I don't believe 4 snows are required in Ontario.
I'm not aware of any such laws in the US. The rental car companies most definitely do NOT install snow tires, at least none of the ones I've ever rented from in MA, NJ, NY, PA, CO, UT, CA, WA. I grew up in the Northeast and my family couldn't afford a dedicated set of snow tires, but FWD with all season tires was never an issue. Though recently they started installing them for winter, and last time I visited I couldn't believe how much better it was! My brother took me up a ridiculously steep road covered with 6" of fresh snow in his Civic and it crawled up with no slip.

As for the original question, my recommendation would be to NOT drive to Montreal with your E90 at all, even if you did have snow tires. Save the wear and tear on your car and just rent a car, doesn't even have to be a SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I drove five winters in NY/NJ with a RWD Toyota Tacoma with all season tires. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't have any issues. There were virtually NO hills or slopes and everything was level. Also, in NJ at least, as soon as a few snowflakes fall from the sky, the salt trucks are out dumping a ridiculous amount of salt. The roads never got a chance to accumulate any snow.

There were only a handful of times I had to drive to work where there was a decent amount of snow on the road, more specifically the local streets (highways and turnpike were always fine). During those days, I would fill the back of my truck with the snow I just shoveled off my sidewalk and that extra weight helped with traction.

I'm not aware of any such laws in the US. The rental car companies most definitely do NOT install snow tires, at least none of the ones I've ever rented from in MA, NJ, NY, PA, CO, UT, CA, WA. I grew up in the Northeast and my family couldn't afford a dedicated set of snow tires, but FWD with all season tires was never an issue. Though recently they started installing them for winter, and last time I visited I couldn't believe how much better it was! My brother took me up a ridiculously steep road covered with 6" of fresh snow in his Civic and it crawled up with no slip.

As for the original question, my recommendation would be to NOT drive to Montreal with your E90 at all, even if you did have snow tires. Save the wear and tear on your car and just rent a car, doesn't even have to be a SUV.
My experience with rental cars having 4 snows are Montréal and Toronto, only. When I flew into Portland, OR, last year this time, as you said, no snows. But many people there had studded snows, I guess due to ice. As my understanding is Portland doesn't get a lot of snow.

If I understand it, snow tires are required in Québec, so why get a fine, I mean would anyone really just say pffffft to $300 or $400? Just fly in and get a rental car up there.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Being from ontario (mostly flat) even though not mandatory; not having snow tires basically makes you that idiot getting stuck everywhere or driving 10 with your 4 ways on.

Quebec; its mandatory for a reason. They get a ton more snow and especially with the hills in montreal and rwd; you'll spend more on a tow truck and damage then tires.

Take the advice from the Quebec'ers that have posted above
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #19
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
As others have said, there is a huge industry to clean snow efficiently and quickly after it snows both in Ontario and Quebec. Keep the traction control on and reduce your tire pressure and you should be fine. I was busy this year and just changed to my winter tires, we had one snow storm and I was fine
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #20
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

It's quite mesmerising watching the video.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Being from ontario (mostly flat) even though not mandatory; not having snow tires basically makes you that idiot getting stuck everywhere or driving 10 with your 4 ways on.

Quebec; its mandatory for a reason. They get a ton more snow and especially with the hills in montreal and rwd; you'll spend more on a tow truck and damage then tires.

Take the advice from the Quebec'ers that have posted above
LOL here in Philly last year I saw a X5M going 10 mph in the snow and the woman driving it was scared out of her wits. Had those sweet 315 or 325 or whatever it has, summer tires in the back and maybe we should not joke but those tires aren't even good on dry pavement at 30F.

Whose job do you think it was to advise her to get some suitable tires?

I was thinking husband assuming she's married. Then dealer when they see it, then I suppose she should know.
Appreciate 0