E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > LCI 325d (N57) EGR

06-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

LCI 325d (N57) EGR

Hi I posted a thread a while ago about some annoying symptoms my car was showing.

Well the engine light came on recently. I had it read and cleared and it returned again, the same code, it has mentioned the EGR (I don't remember the actual code sadly)

Anyway the car seems worse when cold. When first started after a long time standing (over night etc) the revs will jump and it sometimes judders and doesn't respond for a few seconds when the accelerator is pressed. Also when the engine is cruising in a high gear and I lightly press the accelerator it will stutter before picking up speed.

My thinking is that the EGR is blocked and sticking and that is what is causing the symptoms (not sure why it's worse when cold however) but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this?

I am planning on getting the EGR stripped and cleaned, or is it a better option to map it out? I have read that the EGR can't be blanked on these without mapping it out as it causes the engine light to pop back up and it effects the DPF regen? If anyone has any input on this of what is the best option to go and if the symptoms sound like a sticking blocked EGR it'd be good to hear!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:43 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I have a 325d LCI tho mines and early LCI so has the M57 engine. I started to get juddering under certain acceleration (the main one being when cruising on the motorway, a light press of the accelerator and it started stuttering before picking up speed) which pointed to the EGR. So I replaced it, then found the problem was still there, traced it to the vacuum controller that was playing up, so had superchips map out the EGR and the problem went away.

The plus point of mapping out the EGR is that you can leave everything on the car so no need for blanking kits etc. Its had no effect on the running of the car at all, regens still happen as they did it still warms up as quickly in the winter. No change in performance or mpg. Going through the MOT the guy commented on how good the emissions were.

Pulling the EGR off without mapping it out will activate a warning light which may well prevent regens. So mapping it out or fixing it would be the best 2 options to ensure your regens still happen.

Last edited by Silver Streek; 06-27-2019 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
I have a 325d LCI tho mines and early LCI so has the M57 engine. I started to get juddering under certain acceleration (the main one being when cruising on the motorway, a light press of the accelerator and it started stuttering before picking up speed) which pointed to the EGR. So I replaced it, then found the problem was still there, traced it to the vacuum controller that was playing up, so had superchips map out the EGR and the problem went away.

The plus point of mapping out the EGR is that you can leave everything on the car so no need for blanking kits etc. Its had no effect on the running of the car at all, regens still happen as they did it still warms up as quickly in the winter. No change in performance or mpg. Going through the MOT the guy commented on how good the emissions were.

Pulling the EGR off without mapping it out will activate a warning light which may well prevent regens. So mapping it out or fixing it would be the best 2 options to ensure your regens still happen.
Thanks for the reply! That sounds exactly like my issue when accelerating at motorway speeds, do you know what was the problem with the vacuum controller? I'm thinking of getting it off to have a clean as the first step, but wondering if the controller can be fixed if the EGR cleaning doesn't do the job.

Did you get a remap as well or just map the EGR out?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

As you have the N57 I think your EGR system works differently to my M57. On the M57 you have a the vac pump which goes to the vac controller which is basiclly a solenoid valve which turns the vacuum supply on and off to the EGR valve thus opening and shutting the valve when the ECU tells it to. The vac controller on mine was not opening and shutting correctly, I guess the solenoid was faulty. To change it on the M57 is a pain as its buried under the manifold.

So when I had my map done which I had done with the Bluefin map, I phoned the guys at superchips and asked them to mod the map to turn off the EGR for me. I then uploaded the new map to my Bluefin unit and flashed it to the car. I also asked them to play around with the throttle response for me as the standard map gave practically wide open throttle when only depressing the throttle halfway.

They did all this for me quickly with no fuss and I am happy with the map now.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #5
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
Thanks for the reply! That sounds exactly like my issue when accelerating at motorway speeds, do you know what was the problem with the vacuum controller? I'm thinking of getting it off to have a clean as the first step, but wondering if the controller can be fixed if the EGR cleaning doesn't do the job.

Did you get a remap as well or just map the EGR out?
https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...tware-t474769/ he has forgotten more about bmw cars than 99% of the rest,,have a read,,he manually adjusts the egr delete byte by byte
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I think the EGR is quite different on mine than yours but thanks for the info I can investigate it going forward!

I read that before Rasa, I think if I do go the map route rather than cleaning then I think bw chiptune is the one to use as I have heard great things and that he can remote log in from various places around the country as I am north east so quite the distance from his workshop.

I think I will see about getting it cleaned first but if this looks to be a pain I may speak to him about mapping it out instead.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I think the EGR is quite different on mine than yours but thanks for the info I can investigate it going forward!

I read that before Rasa, I think if I do go the map route rather than cleaning then I think bw chiptune is the one to use as I have heard great things and that he can remote log in from various places around the country as I am north east so quite the distance from his workshop.

I think I will see about getting it cleaned first but if this looks to be a pain I may speak to him about mapping it out instead.

Cheers
yeh,,he tuned my car from 350 miles away on rolling road at sunderland,,,,7 dyno runs,,2 stck to see where car was at and healthy with diagnostics,,data logging etc etc
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #8
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Perfect thanks! Did you get a map on the N57? How do they take it if so? I always talk myself into expecting everything to break but I have heard they take the power perfectly fine
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

my 335d is m57,,didnt make them in n57,,my 330d is also m57,,but not much difference to n57 .and if mapped correctly with all parameters taken into consideration ..diagnostics before map etc to show a healthy car no boost leaks/vacuum leaks or turbo probs etc etc,,then all the tunes and info is data logged and while tweking each time its on the rollers,,proper custom file written by jason.if getting a tune for your car,,then do as i did,,he can map it from his workshop via a live link to rollers/computer at sunderland performance centre,,he did this with my 335d,,7 runs on the dyno ..ie 2 stock and 5 tuned....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #10
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds good to me! I was thinking I would use Jason if/when I get mine done, I have seen dynos of n57's that he has done so I know he is capable, and the piece of mind with diagnostics before and rolling road tests are definitely a plus rather than some randomer with a generic map doing no tests before or after.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good to me! I was thinking I would use Jason if/when I get mine done, I have seen dynos of n57's that he has done so I know he is capable, and the piece of mind with diagnostics before and rolling road tests are definitely a plus rather than some randomer with a generic map doing no tests before or after.
exactly,,and sunderland just up the road,,decent waiting room and a nice burger van 2 minutes walk,,takes a while getting it done,,but quality always does...
Appreciate 0