E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help: List of issues including fuel leak , coolant leak and oil sensor

07-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #1
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport

Help: List of issues including fuel leak , coolant leak and oil sensor

List of issues I have on the e90 330D.

1. I’ve probably gone through about 15L of coolant in the last month or so. I’ve checked for obvious leaks, there’s no white smoke or residue on oil cap or filler cap. I’ve had the EGR delete done (it’s been blanked off). The place where I had my car mapped, said it could be my EGR cooler?

Any ideas or thoughts? I’m trying to get it in to my mechanic for inspection. Another question here is, is the EGR cooler and EGR two separate components?

2. In the in car service menu, I’m not able to the oil level on screen. It says it’s unavailable. Assuming this is just a faulty sensor that needs replacing?

3. I have a fuel leak, only when I fill up a full tank though. I’ve read other threads about the breather pipe becoming perforated. Assume this needs a new pipe but also know that the tank needs to be either fully or partially dropped to inspect/replace.

4. I’ve been told there’s a small leak so I need the ZF kit which will sort the issue

5. Car is in need of a brake fluid service

Seems like I’m going to have to throw a little money at the car either way. I’ve had it 7 months and its now just hit 134k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Update. Cars been up on the ramp. There's defo a leak, but its not the EGR cooler. Appears to be from the back of the engine. It's booked in for saturday to locate the leak and fix.

Will have some of the other issues addressed too, cost dependant.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash330D View Post
List of issues I have on the e90 330D.

1. I’ve probably gone through about 15L of coolant in the last month or so. I’ve checked for obvious leaks, there’s no white smoke or residue on oil cap or filler cap. I’ve had the EGR delete done (it’s been blanked off). The place where I had my car mapped, said it could be my EGR cooler?

Any ideas or thoughts? I’m trying to get it in to my mechanic for inspection. Another question here is, is the EGR cooler and EGR two separate components?

2. In the in car service menu, I’m not able to the oil level on screen. It says it’s unavailable. Assuming this is just a faulty sensor that needs replacing?

3. I have a fuel leak, only when I fill up a full tank though. I’ve read other threads about the breather pipe becoming perforated. Assume this needs a new pipe but also know that the tank needs to be either fully or partially dropped to inspect/replace.

4. I’ve been told there’s a small leak so I need the ZF kit which will sort the issue

5. Car is in need of a brake fluid service

Seems like I’m going to have to throw a little money at the car either way. I’ve had it 7 months and its now just hit 134k miles.
What year 330D do you have? One place where I had a coolant leak which took ages to find was the "cylinder head connector" it sits under the intake manifold bolting directly to the cylinder head. The issue you have at the moment is the coolant has spread a lot making it more difficult to narrow down but the easiest starting point would be to start at the top of the engine.. the coolant will always work it's way to the bottom so dont start there start at the highest points and try to pinpoint. Working from the coolant expansion tank follow the thick coolant hoses as one will go under the intake manifold onto the cylinder head connector.

Brake fluid service is a DIY job or I've seen Chemix charge around £45 for a brake service.

ZF service is expensive unless you do it yourself, if your servicing the transmission you'll want the genuine ZF kit as the genuine ZF fluid is a must and would cost around £200 but a garage will cost around £600+ I believe.

If EGR cooler was leaking you'd have white smoke, EGR and EGR cooler are separate.

I'd consider reading up a lot about this car as it doesnt seem "too bad" but when you're relying on a garage that's when things change dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Update. Cars been up on the ramp. There's defo a leak, but its not the EGR cooler. Appears to be from the back of the engine. It's booked in for saturday to locate the leak and fix.

Will have some of the other issues addressed too, cost dependant.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Electronic dipstick will read unavailable until it's measured the oil level, may take a minute or two to get a reading
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:25 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

could also be the water pump,,on my old e46 i had one from there,,pump had quite a bit of play in it,,new pump/stat/all belts coolant while it was in bits and fixed the leak,,i did get a low warning on dash for coolant,,only had to put around 1 ltre in to get it back to level,,so the low warning triggers quite early
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #7
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Electronic dipstick will read unavailable until it's measured the oil level, may take a minute or two to get a reading
No reading what so ever.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
What year 330D do you have? One place where I had a coolant leak which took ages to find was the "cylinder head connector" it sits under the intake manifold bolting directly to the cylinder head. The issue you have at the moment is the coolant has spread a lot making it more difficult to narrow down but the easiest starting point would be to start at the top of the engine.. the coolant will always work it's way to the bottom so dont start there start at the highest points and try to pinpoint. Working from the coolant expansion tank follow the thick coolant hoses as one will go under the intake manifold onto the cylinder head connector.

Brake fluid service is a DIY job or I've seen Chemix charge around £45 for a brake service.

ZF service is expensive unless you do it yourself, if your servicing the transmission you'll want the genuine ZF kit as the genuine ZF fluid is a must and would cost around £200 but a garage will cost around £600+ I believe.

If EGR cooler was leaking you'd have white smoke, EGR and EGR cooler are separate.

I'd consider reading up a lot about this car as it doesnt seem "too bad" but when you're relying on a garage that's when things change dramatically.
Cheers dude. its a 2007. It's currently in the garage being looked at.....

watch this space.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Brake fluid change =£45

still looking for the coolant leak - they need to take some bits off to confirm the source but they will let me know the cost shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Diagnosis = leaking coolant flange. Replaced that, o-ring and a bolt and washer apparently. Will have to keep an eye on it just in case.

Brake fluid done and service light reset.

Will get the final bill when I go to pick it up.

Didn't get round to the oil level sensor as he was still awaiting price and availability of the part, however I think it's circa £50
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #10
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

final bill = £252 all in.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #11
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Bringing this thread to life.

Had to car serviced and decided to replace the oil level sensor (£80!) as there was no point doing it before due to the oil having to be drained in order to fit the new sensor.

So, new sensor - but still can't get a reading? Does this sensor need to be activated? Or will it only work at a certain time etc? I've never seen a reading inside the car.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:00 AM   #12
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

The BMW electronic oil level sensor is the worst invention known to man!

It does not respond immediately like a conventional dipstick but you have to drive the car around for a while before it considers that you might want to know the oil level.

Many new owners over fill their engines because the sensor gives them a low oil warning, so they pour a litre of oil in and check the level again without driving the car and it continues to tell them that the oil is low. They pour in more oil and by the time the sensor responds there is too much oil in the engine!

Oh, of course, it means when you look to buy a pre-owned car you cannot simply pull out a dipstick to visibly check the condition of the oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:02 AM   #13
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:

Had to car serviced and decided to replace the oil level sensor (£80!) as there was no point doing it before due to the oil having to be drained in order to fit the new sensor.

So, new sensor - but still can't get a reading? Does this sensor need to be activated? Or will it only work at a certain time etc? I've never seen a reading inside the car.
Is the screen reporting a different error to before?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #14
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Is the screen reporting a different error to before?
Nope - this is what it said before!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Nope - this is what it said before!
How long have you driven your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #16
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

nearly 350 miles since the sensor was replaced..... and

45 mins on another journey.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
nearly 350 miles since the sensor was replaced..... and

45 mins on another journey.
You did clean the plug and the inside of the oil sensor plug to right?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
You did clean the plug and the inside of the oil sensor plug to right?
I didnt no, but i'll ask the mechanic do fitted it!
Appreciate 0