E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone Get Their Airbag Recall Done Yet?

10-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #331
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Got mine done two weeks ago .. took them about an hour to do!
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #332
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I got my notice last month and super happy with how it all went down.

Scheduled a time to drop my car off mentioned my wastegates had rattle and I have a 3rd party warranty.

They gave me a 2017 330xi to drive around for a week while they did the airbag recall and replaced my turbos.

I dropped my car off with an custom MHD tune still installed and FBO. No one said anything about my car being modded.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #333
Flyboy161
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW E92 335i  [0.00]
Got mine done finally in Macon, GA last Saturday! Only took 2 years!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #334
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Finally got my notice in Florida for a 2011.

However, trying to organise it with Braman BMW they want me to bring the car in (a one hour trip) just for them to order the part and will not keep the car.

Looking for another dealer even if its further to avoid an additional wasted trip. Not sure why they can't order the part, or have a stockpile of these airbags ready.

Did everyone else have to make two trips like that?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #335
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Got my letter. Don't care to bring it in anytime soon. Still pissed off it took this long.
My 2005 Stang GT was done last summer less than a year after I got the letter. Maybe I should've took my 335 to Ford and had them do it at that time.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #336
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjones View Post
Finally got my notice in Florida for a 2011.

However, trying to organise it with Braman BMW they want me to bring the car in (a one hour trip) just for them to order the part and will not keep the car.

Looking for another dealer even if its further to avoid an additional wasted trip. Not sure why they can't order the part, or have a stockpile of these airbags ready.

Did everyone else have to make two trips like that?
I just had mine done yesterday, my local dealer only needed my full VIN when I called about making the appointment. They were able to check the status of the recall, verify parts in stock, and schedule a time for me to drop off the car.

I got a 320i (aka ultimate commuting machine edition) loaner for the day. Some nice touches in the technology department, light steering that I keep hearing so much about, and no sport seats. It was pretty powerful for a 2.0, but I did miss some of the pick up of my 328i. (335 owners need not chime in on the power haha). They also suggested I have my vcg, ofhg, and tensioner replaced at a tune of almost 3k (no thanks, I'll DIY).
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #337
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
I just had mine done yesterday, my local dealer only needed my full VIN when I called about making the appointment. They were able to check the status of the recall, verify parts in stock, and schedule a time for me to drop off the car.

I got a 320i (aka ultimate commuting machine edition) loaner for the day. Some nice touches in the technology department, light steering that I keep hearing so much about, and no sport seats. It was pretty powerful for a 2.0, but I did miss some of the pick up of my 328i. (335 owners need not chime in on the power haha). They also suggested I have my vcg, ofhg, and tensioner replaced at a tune of almost 3k (no thanks, I'll DIY).
I contacted the service adviser and he is ordering the part without me going in - just needed the mileage, presumably to log it with BMW.

I'm waiting to see what they say about my check engine light (due to downpipes) and see what price they quote me to look into it
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #338
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Have mine finally scheduled for next week at the dealership I bought my car from in 2006. Looking forward to seeing the SA's reaction when he records the mileage

Getting both a-bag recalls done at the same time.
Okay, so I had my car in the dealer yesterday. The SA scanned the key and looked at me and asked, "Does your car really have 333,000 miles on it?" I found the question funny because why would the key lie. I guess he may have thought the reader wasn't functioning correctly. It was a bit amusing. Anyway, we got to chatting and he turned out to be a car guy; he drives a 2010 M3. He's been an M guy for a long time and with the dealership well over a decade.

So of course the obligatory "vehicle check" was performed, like they are doing me a favor... with the report showing:

Now they are correct about the tires and suspension. The brakes are complete BS. I last changed the brakes at 298,000 so I'm just over 35,000 into the new pads and rotors, keep in mind the last two sets of brakes - all four (BMW OE) went an average of 112,000 miles each set, so how they show them red at this point... And you'll notice they did not check the clutch operation... humm.

Worst off, when they did the passenger seat mat, they reloaded the car's software. Well, that took out the CBS oil life monitor fix (that I paid the dealer to do so it was in their service records). Now I have to go back and have them reinstall the CBS software patch. You'll notice that they recommend my car have the coolant flushed, and power steering flush performed because "no service records found", so one would assume they actually looked at the service records; I had the CBS oil software patch done at the dealership in July 2017... humm. When I called the SA back last evening she realized I was pissed, and talking tech stuff beyond her expertise, so she sent me to the shop manager. He's a cool guy, but said "oh you had the seat mat recall done, that reflashes the software so it would have taken the patch out; you should have told us." I said, "when you guys did the patch in July 2016, you said the only thing that would change it is of the KOMBI was disturbed, like removing the gauges; so I don't think it was on me to tell you that the patch was in the software." Minor issue I guess and an honest mistake; but nonetheless caused by BMW having the oil life monitor go defunct in the first place .

Anyway, thought I'd follow up with my previous post.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-14-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #339
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, so I had my car in the dealer yesterday. The SA scanned the key and looked at me and asked, "Does your car really have 333,000 miles on it?" I found the question funny because why would the key lie. I guess he may have thought the reader wasn't functioning correctly. It was a bit amusing. Anyway, we got to chatting and he turned out to be a car guy; he drives a 2010 M3. He's been an M guy for a long time and with the dealership well over a decade.

So of course the obligatory "vehicle check" was performed, like they are doing me a favor... with the report showing:

Now they are correct about the tires and suspension. The brakes are complete BS. I last changed the brakes at 298,000 so I'm just over 35,000 into the new pads and rotors, keep in mind the last two sets of brakes - all four (BMW OE) went an average of 112,000 miles each set, so how they show them red at this point... And you'll notice they did not check the clutch operation... humm.

Worst off, when they did the passenger seat mat, they reloaded the car's software. Well, that took out the CBS oil life monitor fix (that I paid the dealer to do so it was in their service records). Now I have to go back and have them reinstall the CBS software patch. You'll notice that they recommend my car have the coolant flushed, and power steering flush performed because "no service records found", so one would assume they actually looked at the service records; I had the CBS oil software patch done at the dealership in July 2017... humm. When I called the SA back last evening she realized I was pissed, and talking tech stuff beyond her expertise, so she sent me to the shop manager. He's a cool guy, but said "oh you had the seat mat recall done, that reflashes the software so it would have taken the patch out; you should have told us." I said, "when you guys did the patch in July 2016, you said the only thing that would change it is of the KOMBI was disturbed, like removing the gauges; so I don't think it was on me to tell you that the patch was in the software." Minor issue I guess and an honest mistake; but nonetheless caused by BMW having the oil life monitor go defunct in the first place .

Anyway, thought I'd follow up with my previous post.
So if I get my airbag fixed since I used NCS Expert I will lose my retrofired bluetooth in idrive because they will flash everything back to the spec of the car? I also have the ability to roll my windows down with the key. I will lose that? Or is this just for the sensor matt.. Which by the way just went bad on mine but I have an 09 BMW so I guess its not covered.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #340
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
So if I get my airbag fixed since I used NCS Expert I will lose my retrofired bluetooth in idrive because they will flash everything back to the spec of the car? I also have the ability to roll my windows down with the key. I will lose that? Or is this just for the sensor matt.. Which by the way just went bad on mine but I have an 09 BMW so I guess its not covered.
I really can't answer, other than the shop manager said doing the seat mat recall resets the software.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #341
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have comfort folding mirrors and kombi digital speedometer coded. Both of these were left unchanged during my driver airbag this week.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #342
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

I finally got my letter !!!

OMFG, I must be the last person to get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #343
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

I got my letter right before the hurricane hit and just called today to schedule the replacement.
My Service Guy said "Well, you're number 198, we will call you when it's your turn." Ugg, this is going to take forever.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:22 AM   #344
Dobiwallah
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2000 Z3 2L

I filled in my vin number on a BMW website in New Zealand and got a call within a couple of days. Changing the airbag activator was only a 10 minutes job. I don't think they will "reset" software changes. At least on my E91 all the settings where still the same. Japanese import.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #345
BryGuy11
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i coupe 6sp

I got a letter in the mail, scheduled an apt. It was replaced in about an hour & they fixed the wiring recall as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #346
Dobiwallah
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2000 Z3 2L

They only did the drivers side though. Passenger is low risk?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #347
DCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 91 Fox

I received my notice a few weeks ago. Cant take in for any recalls due to waiting going on 5 weeks now for my docrace kit. I guess if it doesn't drive, it can't break or have a need for the recall right??
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #348
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Curious, has anyone received a settlement check yet? I hadn't thought about this issue for 14 mos., then my buddy sent me an email re: Audi, so I called. The guy said you should get a check between today through 1/31/19, as they have up to 180 days from 7/31/18 to do so. I remember filling out a claim form and following the directions. I have no idea whatsoever what the $ amount is and they did not mention. But I believe BMW really fought it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #349
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

I got a "Important Limited Warranty Info" letter and my service adviser said,

"That letter indicates there is a warranty extension for those two components. It is NOT a recall so you do not need to bring it in for those repairs. Now if there is an issue with those components first we would need to diagnose the vehicle to ensure it does fall under that category. And if it does, the components would be covered as listed.

The initial diagnosis fee is $235.98 – If we determine those components need replacement, then we will replace them and BMW will cover for the diagnosis fee as well. If it happens to be something else un-related then you would be responsible for the diagnosis and repairs if you would like to get it repaired."

I've got a 2006 325i, is the airbag in that fuked up and needs to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #350
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurribaggio View Post
I got a "Important Limited Warranty Info" letter and my service adviser said,

"That letter indicates there is a warranty extension for those two components. It is NOT a recall so you do not need to bring it in for those repairs. Now if there is an issue with those components first we would need to diagnose the vehicle to ensure it does fall under that category. And if it does, the components would be covered as listed.

The initial diagnosis fee is $235.98 – If we determine those components need replacement, then we will replace them and BMW will cover for the diagnosis fee as well. If it happens to be something else un-related then you would be responsible for the diagnosis and repairs if you would like to get it repaired."

I've got a 2006 325i, is the airbag in that fuked up and needs to be replaced?
Use the BMW recall site and search your VIN and it will tell you if you have any recalls open on your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #351
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

I got it done like 2 months ago.

They gave me a Hertz rental. Took them about a week to fix. When I picked up my car however, the windows wouldn't roll down and blinkers didn't work. I took it back and this time they gave me a 2019 X3. Had that for another week and a half. They shorted my FRM so I got a new one.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #352
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I haven't got it done yet, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to get the value of the airbag.

I was planning on upgrading to a sport steering wheel.
But if I do that and bring it to the dealer for the recall; they won't do it.

So was thinking if I get the value for it, then I can buy a full sport steering wheel including the airbag?

Or has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks.
Appreciate 0