E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Engine Warning Light

12-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
allanmcc
Rep
Drives: 325D MSport

Engine Warning Light

Happy Xmas to you all first. Now the problem, just tried fitting a DPT tuning unit to my 325d. Was pretty straight forward. Started the car everything sounded ok. Then the engine warning light came on (Yellow) not red. Did not like the look of this so I took the unit back off and installed the connectors back to normal. Now the engine management light will not go off. Car seems to be going ok. Can I do anything with this or do I have to visit my local dealer and will it do any harm driving the car with the warning light on.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
the_oracle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

Shouldnt of done any damage mate, unless your tuning box was faulty and damaged something, the light may go out with the amount the time your ignition comes on and off, there is a self check everytime your ignition is on and if the fault doesn't come back, it still may store it for up to 40 ignition on/offs. Sit in your car, start it up, wait a couple of seconds, then turn it off, take the key right out of the slot, and wait till the start stop button illumation goes (about a minute) then start it up again, do this process about 5 times and you might be lucky enough to fix it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

You may need to visit your dealer as there will be an engine fault registered within the ECU datalogs. The dealer will use their coding machine to analyse the fault and remedy thereafter. With this in mind, if you decide to go it is important you have returned the engine bay to its original state, and make sure there are no tell-tale signs of a tuning box having been installed. And on no account admit that there has been a tuning box in. Although BMW ultimately will honour the warranty on the car, they may be very difficult to deal with if they know the car has been fiddled with. Unless you're exceptionally friendly with your dealer, keep quiet!

Good luck...

Oh, and if it's just a yellow warning light, there shouldn't be any harm in driving moderately...

Last edited by E92Fan; 12-26-2008 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
allanmcc
Rep

Thanks for the replys guys. Will try the first suggestion before contacting my dealer in the new year. Will the log files in the car register that something has been fitted.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
allanmcc
Rep

Thanks. Tried the first post and it worked after the second try. Now a happy man all is working again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
the_oracle
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

Sweet!. Thats what BMW does now, they have a logistics counter for faults, say for example, if something fails, and then all of a sudden its okay, it counts down from 40 ignition on/offs, and if the same fault doesnt re-occur, it doesnt permantly store a fault in the dash
Appreciate 0