E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Service Indicator gone back up to 12000!!!

12-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Question Service Indicator gone back up to 12000!!!

Just noticed today as i started up, my service indicator has gone back to 12,000 still with 08/09 date.

Weird thing was last i noticed it was 4800.

Anyone else had this happen?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
coodem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M335d

How many miles since your last service? Is yours on a service plan?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coodem View Post
How many miles since your last service? Is yours on a service plan?
Not been serviced yet.

57 plate i picked up in September and it said 12,000 miles then, and came down to 4800 miles over 4000 miles since i've had it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
its conditioned based servicing so ...either its got a fault in the ecu or have you been doing a lot of urban driving and hammering it and then a lot of long motorway at easy pace.

The variation is a bit extreme though???

Wheres TONE.....The ORACLE when you need him.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Just noticed today as i started up, my service indicator has gone back to 12,000 still with 08/09 date.

Mine was not quite the same but was acting a bit strange! It actually counted upwards instead of down, gradually increasing the miles left until next service! Got up to about 24,000 miles at one point! Quite strange as most of my journeys are short and I am a relatively low mileage driver (less than 10k per yr). My Audi before counted down from 18,000 miles very quickly and said it was due for a service after about 9k miles.

Mine changed after it went in for some work to BMW - when it came out, the service indicator had dropped to about 8k miles. It now says I have 2.5k miles left and the car has done about 10k miles. I am guessing it was some sort of software glitch that was sorted whilst in the dealer. I meant to ask but forgot!

Mine is an 07 plate car and not been serviced as yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
its conditioned based servicing so ...either its got a fault in the ecu or have you been doing a lot of urban driving and hammering it and then a lot of long motorway at easy pace.

The variation is a bit extreme though???

Wheres TONE.....The ORACLE when you need him.
No different to the journey in my S3 for 3 years and the service indicator never went back up on that.

I did take it easy over the past 2 days as i was very low on fuel. But i can't imagine 25 miles of easy driving having that sort of effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

The thing with the CBS (condition based servicing) is that for instance if the car thinks your front brake pads have only 2000 miles till they need to be replaced, it will show "next service due in 2000 miles", regardless of whether anything else needs changing or not. It can be a little irritating as you will find over time that you will be taking the car in more frequently than you might think normal.

In your instance, without knowing what the initial service requirement was at 4800 miles, it's hard to say what has changed. It is actually most likely to be the brake pad wear sensors - sometimes they go a little haywire and give overly-pessimistic wear warnings. This is especially true of the rear brakes - if they have been used a lot recently (via the DSC coming on in the wet, greasy weather) then the mileage-left counter will decrease. As someone has already said, if you then go for long motorway trips and use the rear brakes less, the system resets itself to calculate normally.

Go into the the iDrive Menu, go to "info sources", then scroll to "service". In that menu you'll be able to scroll through all the different items to see what is required for servicing and when
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Mine was not quite the same but was acting a bit strange! It actually counted upwards instead of down, gradually increasing the miles left until next service! Got up to about 24,000 miles at one point! Quite strange as most of my journeys are short and I am a relatively low mileage driver (less than 10k per yr). My Audi before counted down from 18,000 miles very quickly and said it was due for a service after about 9k miles.

Mine changed after it went in for some work to BMW - when it came out, the service indicator had dropped to about 8k miles. It now says I have 2.5k miles left and the car has done about 10k miles. I am guessing it was some sort of software glitch that was sorted whilst in the dealer. I meant to ask but forgot!

Mine is an 07 plate car and not been serviced as yet.
FWIW i do 6 miles to work and back urban/country road driving. So short journeys for me usually too.

I might call up BMW when i get back from hols, and see what they say if the problem persists.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

The service indicator can count upwards as well as downwards - if the driving style has adopted a more relaxed and easy-going nature, the car will increase the CBS counter as it will assume there will be a slower rate of wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The thing with the CBS (condition based servicing) is that for instance if the car thinks your front brake pads have only 2000 miles till they need to be replaced, it will show "next service due in 2000 miles", regardless of whether anything else needs changing or not. It can be a little irritating as you will find over time that you will be taking the car in more frequently than you might think normal.

In your instance, without knowing what the initial service requirement was at 4800 miles, it's hard to say what has changed. It is actually most likely to be the brake pad wear sensors - sometimes they go a little haywire and give overly-pessimistic wear warnings. This is especially true of the rear brakes - if they have been used a lot recently (via the DSC coming on in the wet, greasy weather) then the mileage-left counter will decrease. As someone has already said, if you then go for long motorway trips and use the rear brakes less, the system resets itself to calculate normally.

Go into the the iDrive Menu, go to "info sources", then scroll to "service". In that menu you'll be able to scroll through all the different items to see what is required for servicing and when
Thanks for that suggestion.

Makes a lotta sense

In fact i'll go have a look now!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion.

Makes a lotta sense

In fact i'll go have a look now!!
Go and give it a good thrash, that should sort it out.
      12-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The service indicator can count upwards as well as downwards - if the driving style has adopted a more relaxed and easy-going nature, the car will increase the CBS counter as it will assume there will be a slower rate of wear and tear.
My car has NEVER experienced a relaxed and easy-going nature

Why would it lose 15,000 odd miles tho after a dealer visit!? Have checked brake pads etc, they say over 10k and 15k miles left on them so can't be that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Go and give it a good thrash, that should sort it out.
Good idea, i'll do that after i've had a look at a the car

Looks like it is Oil Change that's gone back up to 12,000 miles (i say that but i never looked at it when the SI said 4800 and only assume because it's now lowest)

Rears/Front brakes are on 20,00 and 47,000 miles!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
My car has NEVER experienced a relaxed and easy-going nature

Why would it lose 15,000 odd miles tho after a dealer visit!? Have checked brake pads etc, they say over 10k and 15k miles left on them so can't be that.

Well, let's assume that out of a list of say eight items, the one in most need of service got you to put your car into the dealer. That item has theoretically been serviced, and the counter reset. Then when you come out of the dealer, the iDrive system has worked out that the next closest item in need of service would be in 15k miles time. Once the car goes in again and you have it serviced, that particular item should be reset. Then it will be the turn of the next closest to advise you of when the next service should be.

This is the problem with BMW and CBS - the dealers only service what the car tells them to. They don't bother to do the rest, waiting only until the computer tells you to go in again. There was a customer I remember at Sytners who had taken his car in for an oil service. Left the car for a whole day, picked it up in the evening and promptly discovered it needed another service in 4000 miles. He was pretty angry, demanding to know why he would need to pay for another service so soon. The service guy just told him that the front brakes would need changing in 4000 miles. When asked why they hadn't told him earlier and done the brakes now, the service guy said it was too early and the car wasn't ready to have new brakes... Stupid huh?!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the service guy said it was too early and the car wasn't ready to have new brakes... Stupid huh?!
Cars have feeling too Tony, you can't just rush into these things.
      12-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

My car would hate me then....!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Getting back on topic, I just recently booked mine in for 1st service, told them oil was due Jan and brake fluid due Feb they said they would do it on same visit. Lets hope they do.
      12-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, let's assume that out of a list of say eight items, the one in most need of service got you to put your car into the dealer. That item has theoretically been serviced, and the counter reset. Then when you come out of the dealer, the iDrive system has worked out that the next closest item in need of service would be in 15k miles time. Once the car goes in again and you have it serviced, that particular item should be reset. Then it will be the turn of the next closest to advise you of when the next service should be.
I do understand all that bit, but the car never got anywhere near telling me it needed attention (other than breaking all the time). It went in to have warranty jobs sorted, can't remember what now? I was finding it odd that it was climbing up so high and was OK being serviced after another 24k miles (it had already done about 5,000 at that point!!) considering the engine 'unfriendly' driving I do. Similarly to Mr s3 I also mainly do small commutes to work, which normally lowers CBS intervals?

The thing is, since it came back with a 'sensible' mileage indicator, it has dropped steadily, again indicating that the 'glitch' has been resolved and the CBS mileage indicator is working OK now.

Very strange
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:33 AM   #19
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I had the same happen to me with my 320d. With about 6000 miles left until the service suddenly when I started it one day it had reset to 16000 and the clock had been reset as well. After setting the clock back after a few days it was back to normal and reading service in 4000 miles. I am currently on 17k miles.
Appreciate 0