E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Do I have an alarm or not?!

12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #23
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Yeah, I am taking care to only press the lock buttone once. I've followied the instructions and locked the car, and the red light in the little inverted dome under the rearview mirror blinks continually. I have also tested that it blinks intermittently if I press the lock button aga9in, straight after locking the car.

So, with the alarm 'activated', and the light blinking, what exactly do I have to do to trigger the alarm?

I have also tried holding down th eunlock boot button for 3 seconds, which is supposed to set the alarm off, but nothing happens.

I am particularly concerne3d because last night somebody picked out the little centre caps from all 4 of my alloys.
The red clown nose will blink continuously when you first arm the alarm. After a short period it will then start blinking at a slower rate. It's possible you're disabling the motion detector before the alarm has fully armed.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
If all else fails, check for the three elements: a bonnet switch about 1/3 of the way across the cowling from the left; a sonic sensor in the dome light fixture; the whisperer, er, siren, above the wheel well liner at the left rear. If they're all there then the alarm is there.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #25
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Talking You monkeys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Get the supplying dealer to supply a full spec for the car, this should give you an idea. If not get it booked in.

At the UK6 meet, Carlos, Booforty and I were trying to set Vivs' alarm off by jumping all over the car but it didn't go off.
That explains the footprints:

Name:  viv.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  168.9 KB

I wondered why Tracker were ringing me at 4.30am on that Sunday morning, asking if I'd like the electrocution circuit in the roof switching on.

It looked like 3 chimps had been trying to get up the side of the car, but one of them couldn't make it past the side skirt- guess that was Carlos, then, Will?!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Viv, car looks da bomb.
      12-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #27
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Viv, car looks da bomb.
Thanks Shamoo, but watch where you're walking next time, ok.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 06:19 AM   #28
Thetoycollector
The Toy Collector
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 08 320D SE E90

Garage List
I thought my 2005 model 320D ES had an alarm (the red light always switched on) but when some muppets smashed the side window in to get at my sat nav the alarm did not go off!

When I checked with the dealer that it did indeed have an alarm (and glass breakage detectors) they said it had.

It was mentioned that I could have accidently pushed the lock button twice to disable the senors but I don't remember ever doing that and it would be a coinidence that I had at the very time someone broke in.

I personally think it is a weak alarm system.

In 2 models of E90 I have never had an alarm go off.
      01-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
Steve748
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Corvette & Jeep Commander

lock the car then open the boot with the key and it should go off
Appreciate 0