E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > RMC BMWCCA Spring Drive - June 6, 2010

06-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #67
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Fun drive, had a good time overall.

Side note, if that's how the members of BMWCCA are gonna act when a potentially shitty situation is about to happen, then I'm done and won't be renewing my membership this year. I can't believe they just watched it happen and didn't try to help stop it.

My girlfriend later told me that some asshole had their phone out like they were taking a picture of it right after it had just happened.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #68
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Huh? Can you please elaborate???
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #69
chanceparker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Whoa, what happened?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #70
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post

Side note, if that's how the members of BMWCCA are gonna act when a potentially shitty situation is about to happen, then I'm done and won't be renewing my membership this year. I can't believe they just watched it happen and didn't try to help stop it.

My girlfriend later told me that some asshole had their phone out like they were taking a picture of it right after it had just happened.
Sorry to see it happened. I wish I had seen it before it happened. I would have tried to honk or something

Last edited by 16M4; 06-06-2010 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #71
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Great time today all. Amazing weather.

My car was a mess when I got home, had to run it through the carwash.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #72
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

What happened?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #73
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
What happened?
You didn't come, you don't get to know...Top secret stuff here...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #74
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post

Dude, that really blows, I only heard about it after the fact. Did people really just stand around and watch it happen? At least there is insurance man, because for sure shit does happen (I also know all too well)

Except for that incident, it was a pretty good drive overall, my car was/is filthy too, but I was just not in the mood to clean it this afternoon.

Berthoud pass was pretty damn fun, had the car sideways pretty good through a hairpin. Crotch rocket was trying to keep up, but had to give up halfway, lol. Caught up with Chance too!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #75
jimk
Captain
Rep

What happened???
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #76
mattsfeir
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I definitely wish that wouldn't have happened, at least the rest of the day turned out great.

I was the 3rd car back and didn't even know anything had happened until you got out of your car. Still didn't know what happened until I heard about it later.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #77
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Trail Ridge road was a complete disaster, and terrible choice. Got into the park and it was literally unpaved dirt/gravel/mud for MILES UP MILES, then on after the summit AGAIN!! Then we get caught in a downpower and 30mph traffic all the way back from Estes but missed the hail.

I advise no one to drive over 34 and Trail Ridge this summer. Had I known it was like that I gladly would have gone the other way.

Also, note to self....put sunscreen on left arm and above left knee cap....boy did I get burnt badly....hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #78
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

all this suspense is killing me!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #79
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Definitely a bummer that happened, hope it doesn't cause ya too much trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #80
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It just frustrates me that there were at least 4 people watching and not doing a damn thing to help stop it. Dan (the guy in the Z3) was pretty annoyed about it as well. I'm paying for it out of pocket because the parents don't want it going on insurance. Our rates are already sky high and there isn't really an alternative. Just sucks overall.

Me and my girl took winterpark to 70 and avoided all the problems the group had. She was tired, I was tired, it was just a better route for us. Having seen the way the drivers were behaving in my group and how some crazy inexperienced lady in a Z4 was driving like an idiot and putting the cars behind her in danger, I will NEVER go on another RMCBMWCCA drive.

For being a group of supposedly more "mature" drivers, I was not impressed. Myself and Dan drove hard to catch up since none of the group leaders wanted to wait for everyone to be ready out of the parking lot in the beginning.

Having said all of this, I think we as a group represented well. None of us were making the drive unsafe and we had fun overall. E90post ftw.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #81
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
AlpineSwift, I wasn't there and I don't know what happened, but I don't really care. I too am a member of RMC of BMWCCA and I don't want to see a fellow member leave. Have you considered talking to the ride organizer? It sounds like the person in the Z4 needs to have a conversation with the organizer. I'm sorry that you have to pay for something out of pocket, that sucks. Just know that there are similar people like you in that club. Again, I hate to see anyone leave.

>If not, I may just have to make my own. Been wanting to drive to Aspen and
>go over Independence Pass ever since I moved out here

Let's do it. Personally, I'm looking for a shorter day drive but that is a fine drive. Getting people from this forum to do a drive (and not a European GTG) is, well, I thought one reason to ~join~ this forum.

On another note, I will be going to HPR on June 18th and on June 25th, if anyone else is interested, please join me, HPR is wicked fun. (I'll start another thread for that.) Matt, I pulled the trigger on KW V3s and Vorshlag camber plates. I'll soon find out how much louder the interior road noise is with the camber plates...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #82
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
On another note, I will be going to HPR on June 18th and on June 25th, if anyone else is interested, please join me, HPR is wicked fun. (I'll start another thread for that.) Matt, I pulled the trigger on KW V3s and Vorshlag camber plates. I'll soon find out how much louder the interior road noise is with the camber plates...
Cool Alex, the V3's will be awesome. So the 18th I have a golf tourney down at the AF Academy. But I will certainly think about the 25th. That sounds great.

V3's should be very nice, with their adjustability and the camber plates will also be very nice with the added adjustment range. Good purchases!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #83
jimk
Captain
Rep

So, something the lady with the Z4 did that caused damage? Can someone please explain what happened?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #84
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Alright, I'm a little disappointed with this thread. I told myself I wouldn't jump into this but....

Long and short of it (and I had already left so I hope I'm not included in the list of people that apparently saw it happening) Alpine mistakenly backed into a Z3 that was behind him at the first stop up in Ft Collins. They exchanged insurance info and that is the end of it. Mistakes (and accidents) happen and it wasn't the end of the world. Both drivers still enjoyed (I thought) the drive and seemed to be pretty civil about the situation.

I'm sure if there would have been time, the folks that were in fact standing around would have most certainly said something. From what I understood it happened pretty quickly so it's hard to blame anyone that was hanging around that didn't get a chance to let Alpine know a car was there.

As for the level of enthusiastic driving, that is just the way these drives are. I have been on two spring drives and there is always a bit of horse play on the roads but from what I saw there were not double yellow passes as they requested. But plenty of mph's.

Alpine, if you don't feel comfortable going on another one, I understand. I will llikely skip it too because of all the rocks that my car took due to the sandy roads. But don't quit the BMWCCA because of an accident.

Last edited by forza1976; 06-07-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #85
jimk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Alright, I'm a little disappointed with this thread. I told myself I wouldn't jump into this but....

Long and short of it (and I had already left so I hope I'm not included in the list of people that apparently saw it happening) Alpine mistakenly backed into a Z3 that was behind him at the first stop up in Ft Collins. They exchanged insurance info and that is the end of it. Mistakes (and accidents) happen and it wasn't the end of the world. Both drivers still enjoyed (I thought) the drive and seemed to be pretty civil about the situation.

I'm sure if there would have been time, the folks that were in fact standing around would have most certainly said something. From what I understood it happened pretty quickly so it's hard to blame anyone that was hanging around that didn't get a chance to let Alpine know a car was there.

As for the level of enthusiastic driving, that is just the way these drives are. I have been on two spring drives and there is always a bit of horse play on the roads but from what I saw there were not double yellow passes as they requested. But plenty of mph's.

Alpine, if you don't feel comfortable going on another one, I understand. I will llikely skip it too because of all the rocks that my car took due to the sandy roads. But don't quit the BMWCCA because of an accident.

Matt, thanks for sharing this with the rest of us and I agree with you.

Alpine, I wasn't there to see it either and I'm sorry that it happened. At least you both are ok. I've been a CCA member for 8 years and I can certainly vouch that most of the club members are stand up guys, like the ones in this group. Unfortunately, there are some that will put a dent in the comradeship the club was meant to offer. At the end of the day, I choose to stay a member because I wouldn't let a few losers or some minor incidents spoil a good thing.

Best of luck with this. Hope to see you around.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #86
16M4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What matt said was well described. I also hope that I am not one of those people you said could have done something to prevent it from happening. Yes I was in front of the z3, yes I heard the z3 driving screaming, I THINK, (not so loud though), but at the same time, I was backing up and everything happened so quickly. Even if I was there standing next to you, I'm sure I couldn't have stopped you fast enough to prevent it. Also, you may feel that someone could have prevented it from happening, but that's probably not true as not everyone reacts to things quickly. No one had anything against you (at least I don't think anyone did); I don't see why anyone would let something like that happen. It was an accident. Accidents happen. I totally understand your frustration, but you shouldn't blame anyone or expect anyone to watch for you. Sorry this had to happen to you. I probably wouldn't have stayed as cool as you were and still went for the cruise if that happened to me.

I'm with you guys with the no more mountain cruise. Too dangerous going in such a high speed in curvy mountain roads. I'm too old for doing this crazy stuff hehe

Last edited by 16M4; 06-07-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #87
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post

Its not the incident that completely makes me want to leave the BMWCCA. Dan and I had a good time despite the collision. We did what we needed to do and moved on. Still, like I said, I was told someone was taking a picture with their cell phone right as it happened. Very disrespectful and immature if they were taking it as a sort of "Ha ha look what I just saw happen" thing.

Having said that, I felt it was unnecessary for the drive to be as aggressive as it turned out to be. Too many people were pushing their cars beyond their experience levels and capabilities. I too share the distaste in the fact that my front end was trashed by road debris. I couldn't believe the amount of garbage on the roads that was being kicked up. One guy from e46fanatics caught a rock to the face apparently (Black e46 4 door). I hate to say it but I think I would rather go to a bimmer burger night at one of the sonics than do another drive.

There are some nice people in the club. I will say that. But from what I saw, a good majority of them need to calm down or spend some time at some of the driving schools or track days. I know I'm a pretty young member and I'm EXTREMELY fortunate to have the car I have, but I honestly think some of the older members in the club that were on the drive need to grow up.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #88
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
What matt said was well described. I also hope that I am not one of those people you said could have done something to prevent it from happening. Yes I was in from if the z3, yes I heard the z3 driving screaming, I THINK (not so loud though), but at the same time, I was backing up and everything happened so quickly. Even if I was there standing next to you, I'm sure I couldn't have stopped you fast enough to prevent it. Also, you may feel that someone could have prevented it from happening, but that's probably not true as not everyone reacts to things quickly. No one had anything against you (at least I don't think anyone did); I don't see why anyone would let something like that happen. It was an accident. Accidents happen. I totally understand your frustration, but you shouldn't blame anyone or expect anyone to watch for you. Sorry this had to happen to you. I probably wouldn't have stayed as cool as you were and still went for the cruise if that happened to me.
I'll make this clear for you and Matt. I'm not blaming either of you guys because I know you both were in the same boat as me trying to concentrate on getting out of there without hitting anything. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky. The dark blue dinan M3 guy was trying to back up at the same time as me which was stupid in my opinion. I checked behind me to make sure no one was back there when I started to move and apparently with me focusing on the cars around me, Dan managed to get behind me. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances and just a total cluster F$%# trying to get out of the lot.

That is one aspect that needs to be addressed is people moving out of parking spaces. It goes one at a time in an orderly fashion. Not this "everyone race to get in line" like the group leaders had instructed. That was a severe lack in judgment on their part for doing it that way.

Dan probably should have honked his horn at me to alert me. There could have been other people watching that could have honked. The earth could have exploded. The universe could have imploded.

Get the picture? I'm over it guys. Really, I am. There's nothing gained from being upset about it anymore because what's done is done. Dan, My girlfriend, and myself are all ok. No one was hurt. His car will get fixed and my ass end will probably get me buffing out the scratches. As for the small and isolated paint cracks, I'm not even gonna mess with it until it becomes a long term issue.

There are nice people in BMWCCA. I admit that. But after being on this drive, it makes me question attending any events that involve driving.
Appreciate 0