E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > First Speeding Ticket

06-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

First Speeding Ticket

So I just got my first speeding ticket last night. I was said to have been doing 65 on a 45 road but I am more than positive I have not passed 60. The cop spouted some BS saying I might have even been doing atleast 70 because he had to go 75 to catch up which doesnt make much sense because I was a good distance from him which might have led him to believe I was going 70+. I am planning on just paying the ticket and going to traffic school simply because the court date was set to September 25th which is after the date I would be leaving to go back to college. Any tips on what to do? I really want to fight this case and am not sure as to how to approach as the court hearing is set at the worst possible time for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

20 over is a bad break. I would recommend a lawyer to fight it. That ticket will really hike your insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I've never gotten a ticket in my car but I've gotten a few on my motorcycles.

The first time i paid a lawyer to essentially reduce it to a no-points type ticket. I got running a stop sign, 85 in a 60, and careless and imprudent. To this day I insist I did none of those things. Maybe I rolled the stop sign I can't remember. But I was on a 400cc single cylinder motorbike with a top speed around 87mph and when I asked the officer to show me the radar he just called me a "fucking moron" and threatened me with more charges.

The second time I deserved it. I was simply going too fast. The state trooper gave me a ticket for 74 in a 55 if I remember right. Whatever it was he let me off easier than I deserved, like if he wrote 1 more mph it would have been 20 over.

I literally called the county prosecutor myself and I was like hey is there anything I can do about this ticket and he basically just said yeah I'll reduce it but you gotta go to in-person driver ed (not online). No lawyer involved or anything it seemed way too easy and I'm not sure if I could reproduce that if i got another ticket.

I went to driver's ed, it wasn't bad at all and that was that. Maybe you could try something like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

don't admit guilt on the ticket, try going to court and worse case, they do nothing. best case, you get off. likely you'll end up somewhere in the middle. the few that I've had, I talked to the prosecutor (or cop) in the lobby and they've always reduced/eliminated the points.

Once, when i first got my e46 I was coming over this hill on an empty highway, well into the triple digits. Sure enough there was a cop sitting on the side at the crest of the hill. I didn't even wait for him to turn his lights on, i just pulled over.

He came to my window, I explained that there was no excuse for my speeding. I was in sales and lost, almost late for a big meeting with the CFO at Sony's Mfg plant. He took my license and when he came back to my window, handed me the docs, said turn right at the next exit and the plant it just down the road. I was shocked, no ticket.

About a week later, my new bride calls me while I'm at work. "What the F&&& is this letter from the PA DOT?!?!" The basterd mailed me the ticket.

I plead not guilty and drove about an hour to plead my case. I saw the cop in the lobby and explained how sorry I was, that I understand the dangers. I'm young in my career and this ticket will likely force me to find a new line of work. He agreed to dropping it to 2 points and a $400 fine.

The Judge berated the cop. I've never seen an officer so pissed. The judge didn't accept the agreement.

While we were walking out, he told me to appeal it and he'd make sure he was off on vacation when it gets rescheduled. Sure enough, two months later I went the supreme court of this podunk little town outside of Pittsburgh and the cop didnt show. The judge said, "I can't believe I'm saying this but NOT GUILTY".

This was my one get out of jail free card and I certainly learned my lesson. Could have ended up way worse for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
8thgenE92
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i coupe

I would fight it, if you didn't get clocked with a laser then you can get it reduced. I used to work in Law Enforcement
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
shreedamin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 335i E92

Appreciate 0