E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Another Water Pump/OFHG Question

05-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
motoringobsession
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 Jerez Black DCT M3

Another Water Pump/OFHG Question

Hi Guys,

This past weekend I noticed my radiator fan was spinning at full blast however I had no CEL on. I ran my MHD DME scanner and I got the 2E82 Electrical Cooling Pump: Switch Off error. My question is I am receiving quotes for $1100+ taxes at Indy shops to do the Thermostat and Waterpump + additional cooling hoses if needed. I also want to get my Oil Filter Housing Gasket done but I am receiving quotes for an additional $500-$600.

Searched around the forums I am reading a lot of the DIYs but the pictures have expired on many of the posts so my question is, isn't it the same process for replacing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket since I have to drain the coolant anyway? Based what I am reading it seems like a few more bolts to get to the gasket since most of the stuff is coming off for the Thermostat/Waterpump. In total I am getting quoted around $1700 from 2 Indy shops. I wanted to see if the additional $500-$600 in labor for the OFHG is justified considering I was quoted $500-$600 just to do that alone.

By the way the car just rolled over to 60k miles. 2009 335I.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Not sure about NJ area but WP+Tstat is around $900 and OFHG is around $400 from an indie. The two are not related and you cannot combine labor.

If you are strapped for cash, consider DIY on the OFHG. It takes less than 2 hours and $40 in tools and parts. WP can be a chore without a lift. It's still doable if you have ramps.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
bimmerlove335
Private
Rep
Drives: Black '09 335i

I did my water pump and t-stat with ramps in about 7 hours start to finish. It really wasn't that bad of a job, just time consuming. It was actually about 5 hours of disassembly, 1 hour of assembly, and 1 hour of cleanup and coolant filling.

I actually opted to have the ofhg done by a mechanic because it was cheaper and I didn't want to mess with removing the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0