E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ABS, DSC, transmission malfunction, engine malfunction etc.

07-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
WhosGotTheLoud
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

ABS, DSC, transmission malfunction, engine malfunction etc.

Hey guys so yesterday my 335i started acting super crazy. Was driving home about 10miles and stopped at a store on the way. Once leave the store I went through a Starbucks drive through and that's when all the lights on dash started coming on. First was engine malfunction drive with caution, then transmission malfunction along with ABS, DSC and a few other lights I cannot recall. Once I got my drink at the window, I tried taking off but realized the stall would not go into drive position so I turned off the car and reinserted the key, started it up again, and was able to put in in drive but it sounded like the car went into drive a bit rough. Then once out on the street I noticed my idrive screen was not turned on anymore, and my turn signal was not working and then car shut off on me! I had to take the key out and re insert and the car turned on no problem, but once again went into drive pretty rough. Didn't want to risk anything so I got it towed.
Earlier that same day I did get a notification to add +1 quart of oil since my oil pan gasket is leaking and I was low oil. Was thinking maybe as a precaution of being low oil, the car shut off, but I added more oil today and let the car idle for about 10 min. Soon as I got out of the drive way and got to the corner of my block, the ABS light comes on, and idrive says transmission malfunction before the screens turned off again. Pulled a U-turn and gave the car some gas, ABS lights turns off and idrive comes back on.
Could it be my alternator? Or faulty battery or terminals? Or is this a serious issue where something else is happening?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
WhosGotTheLoud
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I woke up this morning to take another look at the car and the battery is completely dead! No welcome lights come on, door didn't even unlock with key fob.
I'm thinking it's definitely the alternator now :/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Jr335idaily
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan

What was the problem did you figure it out?
      10-26-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
2xturbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosGotTheLoud View Post
So I woke up this morning to take another look at the car and the battery is completely dead! No welcome lights come on, door didn't even unlock with key fob.
I'm thinking it's definitely the alternator now :/

Have the same problem, it would be great if you can tell me what did you find out, what was the issue.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
WhosGotTheLoud
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Definitely was the alternator. Battery wasn't being properly charged. Replaced both alternator and battery and everything went back to normal
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
2xturbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xturbo View Post
Have the same problem, it would be great if you can tell me what did you find out, what was the issue.

Thanks
Replaced battery and alternator, everything is back to normal.

Thanks
Appreciate 0