E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New MSD81 software installed: Quick update

10-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
New MSD81 software installed: Quick update

I just had my car updated with the newest DME software version this morning. Before this, i was running software circa late 2008. The car does seem to idle smoother with the update. Other than that, I really can't tell too much difference in terms of drivability.

However, there is certainly something different in terms of catalyst inefficiency detection. I'm running completely catless. And as expected, running with the PROcedes 02 modifier at 100% (no o2 sim feature), the car tripped catalyst inefficiency codes within 20 miles of highway driving. However, I did find a range of settings that didn't trip the code and they are VERY different than what was needed with older software versions. Give me a few more days to do testing and I should have settings that will keep things happy. For your race cars, of course. This certainly explains why some cars with some DME versions don't respond well to o2 simulators.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I just had my car updated with the newest DME software version this morning. Before this, i was running software circa late 2008. The car does seem to idle smoother with the update. Other than that, I really can't tell too much difference in terms of drivability.

However, there is certainly something different in terms of catalyst inefficiency detection. I'm running completely catless. And as expected, running with the PROcedes 02 modifier at 100% (no o2 sim feature), the car tripped catalyst inefficiency codes within 20 miles of highway driving. However, I did find a range of settings that didn't trip the code and they are VERY different than what was needed with older software versions. Give me a few more days to do testing and I should have settings that will keep things happy. For your race cars, of course. This certainly explains why some cars with some DME versions don't respond well to o2 simulators.

shiv
awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Really glad to hear that Shiv. My car was upgraded and the check engine light has been driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
cocoturkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 335i

Quote:

shiv

so my assumption was correct.... THANK YOU, SHIV~~ YOU"RE DA MAN!!!! I've been driving with the codes for weeks already~~~~ and i guess you will find more codes as you try it more at higher speed and rpm. however, knowing that you've updated to the lastest DME software makes me feel safe cuz' I know you will solve every single problem with the lastest DME software. Thank you for doing that!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
thwgw24
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: RB PWRED E90 N54 6MT

Garage List
07' E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

shiv

shiv,
you should have done this earlier. I was so tired of trying different % for the o2 sim for the past month and actually traded my Procede for a JB3. Now I'm all regretted.
      10-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good info Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
thwgw24
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: RB PWRED E90 N54 6MT

Garage List
07' E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by got psi View Post
I see what you did there. You traded the PROcede due to the 02 simm % for a JB3 that doesnt have an o2 simm built in AT ALL hoping it will solve your issue.

Got it.

PM me, I have a bridge I need to sell if you're interested.

I already have the JB3 with the built in BMS o2 sim.
      10-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwgw24 View Post
shiv,
you should have done this earlier. I was so tired of trying different % for the o2 sim for the past month and actually traded my Procede for a JB3. Now I'm all regretted.
Sorry about that. Unfortunately, I could only get my software updated while bringing my car in for another issue. In this case, I had to get my stereo amp replaced which requires a software update. It suddenly stopped working just a few days ago. And based upon what i'm seeing with the new dme software, i now understand why the suggested o2 sim settings weren't working. My current settings are so much lower than I could ever get away with on the older dme software. I'm currently at 20% and I have yet to throw an o2 response slow/low code. Before, dropping it below 85% would trigger that. It seems that the newer dme software is very picky. Easy to fix. Just need to test the max and min allowable ranges.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Hey Shiv, do you have to remove a bunch of stuff when going in for service? With being a known tuner, im surprised that bmw doesnt treat your car differently.

(fedor vs rogers soon )
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Hey Shiv, do you have to remove a bunch of stuff when going in for service? With being a known tuner, im surprised that bmw doesnt treat your car differently.

(fedor vs rogers soon )
I've never been in for engine/drivetrain reasons so I've never had
to remove any parts. Steering lock and amplifier failure is unrelated. And I'm still on the original clutch

Rogers is going to last about 5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
I've never been in for engine/drivetrain reasons so I've never had
to remove any parts. Steering lock and amplifier failure is unrelates. And I'm still on the original clutch

Rogers is going to last about 5 seconds.
Wow so you leave your mods in there, when its not a engine related warranty issue? Too scary for me.

And come on, arlovski lasted longer with fedor then rogers. Rogers is gonna go at least 12 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

almost tried every % of o2 sim , still getting that check engine light.

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0