E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FAQ: Tuning the 335i (XEDE info)

11-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #23
BMWnewbie1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Besides an answer to my emissions questions I would like to see, if you would indulge me, a dyno of repeated runs of stock vs. XEDE mod. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #24
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnewbie1
Besides an answer to my emissions questions I would like to see, if you would indulge me, a dyno of repeated runs of stock vs. XEDE mod. Thanks.
We've already conducted tailpipe emissions tests and, even with the exhaust (with 2 less cats) the emissions are well below max limits. As for stock vs. xede dyno runs, there are a number of them already posted on this forum. Digging up another assortment of dyno results when all the dynos are between 20min and 20hrs away from me is going to be difficult

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #25
Rob66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S5, MB CLK 320,

Hi shiv!

Thanks for all the postings you have done until now in the forum!
My question: Will you offer your products to us in europe also?
Can we get a plug and play Xede?

Greetings Robert
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #26
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Yes they will ship worldwide.
Just be carefull to request the correct US octane map.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #27
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
I'd be happy to ship overseas. But without confirming that the european cars have the same ECU code/functionality as the ones in North America, I wouldn't want to risk it. I have received a couple of emails lately from folks in europe asking me to come out there to install and tune Xedes. I'd certainly be up for it if there is sufficient demand.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #28
CassiesMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Sorry, I really didn't mean to make fun of you questions. My point is that unless you want to pay a massive premium guarding against something that simply wont happen, the idea of a tuning shop offering a drivetrain warranty on performance items isn't going to happen. I really don't want to charge an obnoxious amount of money for a upgrade kit that delivers 50% of what it should. And the majority of people don't want to pay for such a kit either. Even if it does include a very-limited warranty coverage claim.
^Thats why the Dinan stuff is so expensive. There is no difference between the Dinan CAI and mine, but the Dinan stuff comes with a warrenty. If anyone wants to mod their car, its a risk your just going to have to take. You don't even need to mod it to risk hurting it, driving it hard will put added stress on as well.

Basically, if you want warrenty, go Dinan. If you want more affordable for the exact same thing, then you'll have to forgo warrenty. All I know is the first thing I do when I get my 335i, I'm getting one of these XEDEs.

E46 Orient Metallic Blue 325i
Mods:
-Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake
-Sirius Sportster Radio
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #29
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Shiv,
If youre answering this disreguard my PM. I have contacted vp fuels and they have 100, 103 and 109 unleaded. Do you think we could try some 103 or 109? They dont recommend leaving the 109 in the tank very long. I'm interested in stretching the octane limits (safely of course). Please give us your thoughts on how high we can go on the octane. My primary interest is using this at the drag strip. Thanks for your time.
Danny
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #30
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

Danny,
Keep in mind that stretching the octane limit may not afford you any more power, just more money. At a certain point the size of the turbo is going to limit the power, not the octane in the tank. Exactly what octane is yet to be determined. However, MS109 is a fantastic fuel. We have been using it for quite some time in evos. (And for those with that can get sunoco, GT+ is the same as VP's 109).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys 335i
Shiv,
If youre answering this disreguard my PM. I have contacted vp fuels and they have 100, 103 and 109 unleaded. Do you think we could try some 103 or 109? They dont recommend leaving the 109 in the tank very long. I'm interested in stretching the octane limits (safely of course). Please give us your thoughts on how high we can go on the octane. My primary interest is using this at the drag strip. Thanks for your time.
Danny
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #31
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
I'd be happy to ship overseas. But without confirming that the european cars have the same ECU code/functionality as the ones in North America, I wouldn't want to risk it. I have received a couple of emails lately from folks in europe asking me to come out there to install and tune Xedes. I'd certainly be up for it if there is sufficient demand.

-shiv
Oh something tells me that there would be.
      12-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #32
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
Danny,
Keep in mind that stretching the octane limit may not afford you any more power, just more money. At a certain point the size of the turbo is going to limit the power, not the octane in the tank. Exactly what octane is yet to be determined. However, MS109 is a fantastic fuel. We have been using it for quite some time in evos. (And for those with that can get sunoco, GT+ is the same as VP's 109).
Dustin,
Thanks for responding. I know Shiv is working on a 100 octane tune Can you ask him if hes willing to try a 103 tune to compare to the 100 when he comes to Florida? If you can run this by Shiv I'd appreciate it. I know hes busy and doesn't get to his PM's much. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #33
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Here are some Q’s & A’s for you guys to contribute in this amazing product. Thanks to Calvin, V, & Dustin for helping me so much, continue your great work. Please excuse me if some are repeats. Thank you and enjoy.

*The following are for the 335i XEDE by Vishnu Tuning.

Q: Will future maps be free?
A: Yes, maps are always free with XEDE.

Q: Is the XEDE 100% undetectable by the dealership?
A: Yes, as long as the XEDE with all components are removed carefully and completely. The dealership can though notice a great change if they driver the car with the XEDE in play.

Q: When will the XEDE ship upon order?
A: In about 2 weeks.

Q: What are the octane variations available?
A: 91,93,94, 100+

Q: How much is custom tuning and when will it be available to me?
A: Vishnu travels to major cities at least 2 times a year with custom tuning being $250 hour plus dyno renting.

Q: Will XEDE work with steptronic and paddle shifted 335i’s?
A:Yes

Q: What are these “maps”?
A: Maps are a given number of offsets loaded into the XEDE and tells it what to do and what the car to do.

Q: Will the XEDE be self adaptable to future aftermarket upgrades such as exhausts, etc?
A: No, but one should load a new map to maximize the potential power when available or ship the XEDE back to us for this configuration.

Q: What happens if I order a 94 octane XEDE and fill up with 91?
A: Take it easy with the car until one can burn off the tank or turn the XEDE back to stock.

Q: Where is this “switch” to switch maps?
A: The switch is part of the XEDE harness & we are working on a indoor cabin switch as well.

Q: What is the difference between ordering the XEDE and getting it custom tuned?
A: Not all cars are the same and with that we are able to make more power with a few slight tweaks.

Q: Can the XEDE be connected to the sport button allowing it to be turned on and off?
A: There probably is, but we have not explored that as we want to make sure that the XEDE is not intrusive to the car.

Q: Will constant installing and uninstalling of the XEDE cause problems, etc?
A: No, as long as it is safely and completely removed.

Q: Will I get any gains if I have a 91 octane XEDE and put race fuel in my car or anything higher?
A: Although it won’t negatively affect the car in any way, one can’t take full advantage of the gas without the proper map loaded.

Q: Where is the XEDE harness connected to?
A: ECU

Q: Is there anyway to get the XEDE tuned before it leaves the factory on order?
A: Because every car is different, having an aggressive map at start would not be ideal.

Q: What are the expected numbers for 91 octane with just the XEDE?
A: 320whp & 350rtq.

Q: How do I update the map from my computer?
A: The XEDE works with a serial port cable. One can buy a serial cable to USB cable to link to more updated computers that don’t have serial ports. The maps will be on our site as a open source and free for anyone to download.

Q: I am very interested on installing a BOV such as the upcoming one from CP-E, any problems?
A: It is best for one to resist the temptation of the BOV as our cars were not designed to release excess boost pressure into the atmosphere. Doing so will effect your tuning and cause the car to run poorly. The car was designed to recalculate that excess air back into the intake system, bleeding off the air that was accounted for by the MAF sensor will confuse everything.

Q: Has the rev-limiter and speed limiter increased or removed?
A: No

Q: What happens if I have a 91 octane XEDE and my gas station doesn’t have “true” 91 octane fuel?
A: Slight variances on octane will be fine true or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #34
Backattack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (Dec 13th)

Garage List
2000 M5  [0.00]
YO! Haven't seen these answered; do you have an 89 octane map to save some $$$. Is there a 335i SEDAN exhaust setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #35
CassiesMan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n
Q: I am very interested on installing a BOV such as the upcoming one from CP-E, any problems?
A: It is best for one to resist the temptation of the BOV as our cars were not designed to release excess boost pressure into the atmosphere. Doing so will effect your tuning and cause the car to run poorly. The car was designed to recalculate that excess air back into the intake system, bleeding off the air that was accounted for by the MAF sensor will confuse everything.
I was under the impression that the 335i motor used MAP, not MAF, and therefore, it measures air inside the manifold, not after it gets pumped through the turbo. Therefore, when venting to atmosphere with a BOV, the air that gets vented isn't measured (unlike the MAF), so teh vented air never makes it to any sensor, and therefore you don't run the chance of going rich or lean.

Mods:
-Sirius Sportster Radio
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 12:41 AM   #36
CassiesMan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backattack
YO! Haven't seen these answered; do you have an 89 octane map to save some $$$. Is there a 335i SEDAN exhaust setup?
I doubt there will be a map for 89. Most turbo cars need that higher octane. I've put 89 in my E46 325i a coupla times just because of the cash situation at the time, but I think with a high compression turbo motor, you need to run 90+.

Mods:
-Sirius Sportster Radio
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #37
Jonn335
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F07 535 GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
I was under the impression that the 335i motor used MAP, not MAF, and therefore, it measures air inside the manifold, not after it gets pumped through the turbo. Therefore, when venting to atmosphere with a BOV, the air that gets vented isn't measured (unlike the MAF), so teh vented air never makes it to any sensor, and therefore you don't run the chance of going rich or lean.
this is what i thought as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #38
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Added Hl0m4n Q/A, and sorted the questions into topics.
This is getting a little long and crazy, its quite hard to keep up with all the questions/answers coming up.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #39
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backattack
Nope, no 89 maps. We don't even have a production exhaust for the coupe yet, but when we do, we will have one for the sedan as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #40
Borti
Borti
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
Danny,
What about an E-85 kit like you are running on your EVO? I mean, demand is not high enough, but would you guys be willing to do a custom setup for an E-85 powered 335? If that be the case then are there any long-term concerns of using E-85? Thanks...

Also, FWIW I owned an A4 2.0T and I have seen logs of a certain tuner's 'dynamic mapping' and it is just like you said. It is basically a 100 octane map that relies on the ECU's ability to pull timing when 91 or 93 is put in. One of the logs showed that the tuner was requesting 16 PSI at Redline from a K03! The most those things make at redline is probably 10-11 PSI at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnt
Drivers over here get their license with MT. Most cars have MT, and all of my friends can drive MT. My chick had an auto once and she sold it in less than a year because she didn't like it. The only replacement to MT for me would be shifters in the steering wheel (ala F1)! Still MT but no clutch.
I don't drink,smoke,eat in my car, ever. And I don't hold the hand of my GF of her thigh or anything else unless there is traffic or stoped in a traffic light. When the car moves, I'm meant to drive it both hands... and god I do it with pleasure

Kudos!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #41
pauly1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nikes

Quote:
Q: Is there anyway to get the XEDE tuned before it leaves the factory on order?
A: Because every car is different, having an aggressive map at start would not be ideal.
So you're saying that once you specify your octane and mods on Vishnu's website and then place the order, the XEDE arrives with a basemap? Is this an acceptable map to run if you don't feel like dealing with a dyno. (I realize you might be missing 10 hp, because it's not specifically tuned to your car? ) but if that's acceptable to you, are you good to go? I only ask because anytime you change Engine Mgmt, it's suggested that you check your air/fuel to make sure your are not running rich, or more importantly LEAN! Can you see if you can get an answer to this, and possibly add it to the FAQ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #42
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ask one of the Visnu Nerds, and i will definately post it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #43
pauly1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nikes

Don't they check this forum?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #44
pauly1
Enlisted Member
Rep