E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not had a 'help with new car search' for a while...

07-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

+1 on the terrible pedal position in the manual A5. I had a 2.0tdi manual as a courtesy car and the driving position felt terrible compared to the auto a3 that I had.

I've always been a die hard member of the manual brigade but my experience with a 4 pot BMW diesel manual and an A3 diesel with DSG changed that. Case would maybe be different on a bigger diesel but I can't imagine it would due to the natural characteristics of diesel engines. I'd certainly try the autos back to back against the manuals just to see. It will probably make more sense if you are going to be doing more miles and are used to free revving petrol engines.

I also think I'd try to hang about for a bit of a price drop on the e92 when the replacement surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Yes, I had forgotten about the pedal position - I've never driven an A5 and now remember why I never want to after sitting in one. It's obviously not such a problem with an auto but the manual has the clutch where the brake pedal should be!

How can Audi be so lax in engineering what is a relatively new and 'premium' design (and the A4 also suffers the same IIRC) - I don't think I've sat in any other modern car with pedals offset so much.

Roger....it's been said already - forget the manual and buy the car you should be considering - a 335d!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Roger....it's been said already - forget the manual and buy the car you should be considering - a 335d!
When I got my first car I told my self that every time I change cars it has to be better/more powerful than the car it's replacing...it's one of the targets I give my self in life to make me work harder...Do you seriously want to go from a RWD, LSD equipped 300bhp+ sports car to a diesel burning rep mobile with half the BHP?*

I think the 335d is your only real choice if your going to be end up going down the diesel route. But get a calculator out and actually work out how much money a diseal would save you. I did this with my 335i, comparing it the wife's diesel Civic I think for the same mileage my car cost something like £2.5 extra per day in fuel costs. I than asked my self what I can buy for £2.50? That's barely enough for a big mac *at McDonalds....

The last time I checked most M3s came loaded with spec..what else are you going to get for £20k with the same performance/toys...plus most of the depreciation has been done already and quite a few come with manual box, so actually you would be silly not to buy one

Last edited by gangzoom; 07-19-2012 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Rodger, Mercedes currently have a fantastic offer on their new SLK250 CDI (twin turbo diesel engine) - 6 months down. 10k pa - £199 a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
You mean this one (or similar)...
http://www.clvr.org.uk/deals.php?for...ortConvertible
...another helpful member pm'd it over.

Great deal. Just can't really commit yet as my hood is still dodgy.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #28
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
You mean this one (or similar)...
http://www.clvr.org.uk/deals.php?for...ortConvertible
...another helpful member pm'd it over.

Great deal. Just can't really commit yet as my hood is still dodgy.
Tbh I would not put this off too risk, go to the doctors ASAP and ask for some cream
Appreciate 0