E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replace steering rack DIY?

07-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Replace steering rack DIY?

I did some googling and couldn’t find a tutorial for replacing the steering rack. I have a M3 rack coming that I’m swapping into my 328. I’ve already read about the details of mating the M3 rack to the 328i steering shaft... but what about the general removal and installing the new rack...

Are there any “one time use” fittings or crush washers that need to be replaced?

Is there a procedure for bleeding the steering pump/reservoir/rack?

Do you need to drop the subframe to do the steering rack swap?

Are there any other details that might make this tricky?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

So I’ve doing some more reading and watching YouTube videos (in Spanish lol)...

And I’m feeling good about steering rack swap actually looks very easy. Unbolt tie rods from gearbox, there’s 2 bolts hold rack to subframe, and then one pinch bolt for the steering shaft. Box is now detached, correct?

Then 2 fluid lines attached to the gearbox which I will replace the 4 crush washers on.

Steering Rack Pressure Line Crush Washers P/N:
07119906464 - Need 2!

Steering Rack Return Line Crush Washers P/N:
07119906463 - Need 2!

After reversing everything for install bleed by filling reservoir and rocking steering with engine running, same as any other steering bleed.

So this looks like maybe a 1 hour job tops.

That sound right?

Does anyone have the torque specs for the lines to the gearbox and the mounting bolts?
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Not even well seasoned tech can do it in 1h let alone someone that had to come on here to ask how to go about it. Regarding torque specs: unit to subframe torque to 56Nm, small banjo torque to 35Nm, large banjo torque to 40Nm. You don't bleed the system (perhaps people use that term?), just top off the tank, start engine, wait for power steering fluid to get to room temperature, like 20'c, then turn steering wheel to full left and right lock few times, straighten the wheels and check for leaks and fluid level.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      07-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Not even well seasoned tech can do it in 1h let alone someone that had to come on here to ask how to go about it. Regarding torque specs: unit to subframe torque to 56Nm, small banjo torque to 35Nm, large banjo torque to 40Nm. You don't bleed the system (perhaps people use that term?), just top off the tank, start engine, wait for power steering fluid to get to room temperature, like 20'c, then turn steering wheel to full left and right lock few times, straighten the wheels and check for leaks and fluid level.
Thank you sir, you da man!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
tyackerman
Rep
Drives: rare 328i

NEED help. E90 XDrive steering rack replacement

I have to replace my steering rack in an 09' 328i xDrive with a 6mt. Can somebody walk me through the steps. At the least can you tell me how to remove it.

In desperate need of help here. Anything is better than nothing when it comes to advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyackerman View Post
I have to replace my steering rack in an 09' 328i xDrive with a 6mt. Can somebody walk me through the steps. At the least can you tell me how to remove it.

In desperate need of help here. Anything is better than nothing when it comes to advice.
I did my rack swap and what is written in this post is all you need to know. The 2 Torx bolts that hold the rack to the subframe are single use bolts and Realoem.com will help you get the part numbers for those.

Anchor your steering wheel inside the car so it stays pointing straight ahead. I used cargo tie downs from the steering wheel to the passenger door pull. Wrap a rag around the wheel under the tie down cause the tie down will mar the leather on the wheel if you don’t. Same for the door pull.

I measured the length of shafts showing out of the rack on each side to get it equal before install. This way with the steering wheel centered and the shaft length on the rack equal when you bolt them up obviously you will have no issues. Still will need an alignment after though!

You can use large hose clamps or strong zip ties to hold the large plastic accordion boots to the rack when you are done. (These boots cover the tie rod ends where they attach to the rack. Under these boots the tie rod ends are large (maybe 32mm not sure about that at all) hex that I used a giant crescent wrench to unscrew from the rack. So make sure you have something handy for that, other wise it’s straighforward no special tools or anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #7
JeanCa
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 2011 & F10 M5 2013

Daaamn, m3 rack! your white e92 just keeps getting better. Congrats
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      03-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #8
tyackerman
Rep
Drives: rare 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyackerman View Post

I did my rack swap and what is written in this post is all you need to know. The 2 Torx bolts that hold the rack to the subframe are single use bolts and Realoem.com will help you get the part numbers for those.

Anchor your steering wheel inside the car so it stays pointing straight ahead. I used cargo tie downs from the steering wheel to the passenger door pull. Wrap a rag around the wheel under the tie down cause the tie down will mar the leather on the wheel if you don't. Same for the door pull.

I measured the length of shafts showing out of the rack on each side to get it equal before install. This way with the steering wheel centered and the shaft length on the rack equal when you bolt them up obviously you will have no issues. Still will need an alignment after though!

You can use large hose clamps or strong zip ties to hold the large plastic accordion boots to the rack when you are done. (These boots cover the tie rod ends where they attach to the rack. Under these boots the tie rod ends are large (maybe 32mm not sure about that at all) hex that I used a giant crescent wrench to unscrew from the rack. So make sure you have something handy for that, other wise it's straighforward no special tools or anything.
I'm just worried about xDrive components getting in the way of removing and installing the rack
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #9
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Have a steering rack leak coming from the hard lines - not the banjo bolt / crush washers. Is this serviceable or do I need a new rack?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #10
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

This is the video from FCP Euro that should help you guys out:

Appreciate 0