E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade Review?

11-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #45
Halston@bsw
Rep
Drives: 99 M3 - 89 325i - 86 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos View Post
Great!
but a couple of questions.
Will it amp the under seat subs? and at what ohms?
If it will amp the under seat subs what will be the power going to them?
Should be they then be upgraded ?
Are you coming out with an upgrade to the underseat subs?
if not will the stock amp still be supplying power to the under seat subs?
will there be any cutting or splicing of any wires?
Will not amp the underseat subs.

We are probably not going to have an upgrade for those subs. The testing we did simply did not provide the upgrade we were looking for.

No splicing!

Will get the new speaker specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #46
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos View Post
meanwhile could you answer my question?
+1
the info on the website just says speakers, and has some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #47
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@bsw View Post

We are probably not going to have an upgrade for those subs. The testing we did simply did not provide the upgrade we were looking for.

No splicing!

I really don't understand the "upgrade" that you are selling then...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #48
pengful
Gearhead
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E90 - 320i Black-on-black

I think he meant only the 4" mids and tweets. Underseat subs are not part of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #49
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengful View Post
I think he meant only the 4" mids and tweets. Underseat subs are not part of the deal.
What I don't personally understand is how you can significantly upgrade the E9x sound system without the OEM subs. Even the Individual Audio sounds better by only changing the OEM subs, even when its OEM amp can't handle them.

But that's me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #50
pengful
Gearhead
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E90 - 320i Black-on-black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What I don't personally understand is how you can significantly upgrade the E9x sound system without the OEM subs. Even the Individual Audio sounds better by only changing the OEM subs, even when its OEM amp can't handle them.

But that's me.
I wonder too.....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #51
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Come to think of it, theres no sub replacement, which is a big contributing factor to the horrible sound system we have. The BSW stage I upgrade sounds seems interesting to try out, but at 600, it is WAY overpriced.
      11-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #52
Halston@bsw
Rep

Quote:
I really don't understand the "upgrade" that you are selling then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengful View Post
That is correct. The stage 1 is

Quote:

But that's me.
Many owners are not looking for a bass upgrade. It is simply not something they are looking for. We will never force customers into products that also add bass. To many having any sort of excessive bass just would not work for them.

Our stage 1 upgrade is strictly a sound quality upgrade. We replace the interior drivers to allow for crisper and cleaner mids/highs. We do this with better quality components. It really does work.

From m5board. E60 M5 w/ Logic7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssigarto View Post
Today I installed the BSW Stage 1 Audio Upgrade. Before getting to the sound quality, a few words about the installation process.

The installation instructions are straight forward and while I was a little concerned about the air bags in the front door panels I mostly followed the directions. I started with the rear deck speaker replacements. These are really simple to replace and took about 5 minutes a piece. You have to make sure you use one of the mid range drivers that has the additional wires for the tweeters. The rear deck and the front door drivers have the additional wires for the tweeters. The rear doors and the center channel do not have the additional wires since there are no tweeters there.

Next I did the rear doors. The 1st door took the longest time since it was the 1st one I did. The clips are quite sturdy and require a little force to get the out. Subsequent doors went faster. I took the rear panel completely off and then replaced the drivers. Reconnecting the rear doors is straight forward process. Reconnect all connectors and LEDs, realign the clips, make sure that the door lock rod is in the hole and everything clipped back into place.

On the front doors, I did not follow the instructions to a tee. After removing the clips and the panel came free and off the door, I left all the wires connected and simply rested the door pannel on a box without pulling on the wires. There is sufficient clearence to do all the driver removal without disconnecting any connectors.

Now the good part. The sound is totally different. All the harshness of the tweeter and the mid range is gone . I spent an hour simply enjoying the sound. The blending of the base with the mid range and the tweeters is smooth and the sound is incredible. Readjusting and playing with the equalizer was actually fun and rewarding since the sound system was actually responding and while clearly projecting the right frequencies the blending smooth and pleasing.

In my opinion, well worth the money if you enjoy your music.

Halston and bsw,
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
Come to think of it, theres no sub replacement, which is a big contributing factor to the horrible sound system we have. The BSW stage I upgrade sounds seems interesting to try out, but at 600, it is WAY overpriced.
I know I will sound biased here but 'value' is always very subjective. It is hard to put an exact value on the upgrades but we have yet to have a negative review and all say they enjoy the upgrade and most say if they had a chance to do it again they would.

Before I was employed here I was always wary of the product, I did always want to try it. Got the chance and love it in my M3

Let me know guys if you have any other questions!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #53
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
That is correct. The stage 1 is

Many owners are not looking for a bass upgrade. It is simply not something they are looking for. We will never force customers into products that also add bass. To many having any sort of excessive bass just would not work for them.

Our stage 1 upgrade is strictly a sound quality upgrade. We replace the interior drivers to allow for crisper and cleaner mids/highs. We do this with better quality components. It really does work.

From m5board. E60 M5 w/ Logic7

I know I will sound biased here but 'value' is always very subjective. It is hard to put an exact value on the upgrades but we have yet to have a negative review and all say they enjoy the upgrade and most say if they had a chance to do it again they would.

Before I was employed here I was always wary of the product, I did always want to try it. Got the chance and love it in my M3

Let me know guys if you have any other questions!
I am interested in a "Stage I/2" speaker upgrade.

No sense replacing the rear speakers if the ears are up front only.

When will you have an upgrade for the fronts only?

Seems like an easy thing to do for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #54
Halston@bsw
Rep

Once we get solid stock we should be able to offer the speaker pairs for these as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #55
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

thanks for still avoiding the question about the specs. dont really get anything out of it just by saying they are better
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #56
Halston@bsw
Rep

I emailed my engineer. I am waiting for the full detailed specs. It is not something I have in front of me. It is coming.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #57
Halston@bsw
Rep

I decided to extend this through Sunday. That will be the final day!!!

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $200. No catches, no restrictions. FREE Ground Shipping inside the CONUS.

10% Off ANYTHING. Can be combined with the above Free Shipping. Use the code and get 10%. This can add up quickly!

Use Code bsw10bf

$100 Off uf110 Subwoofer System for BMW e9x

Use Code uf110bf
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #58
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

uf110 Subwoofer System.... Ordered!

Thanks for the discount - between the $100 dollar coupon, and free shipping.... not a bad deal
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 05:29 AM   #59
scampos1984
Spaniard member
Spain
Rep
Drives: E90 & E91 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post

Thanks for the discount - between the $100 dollar coupon, and free shipping.... not a bad deal
I wonder how this sub would work in an E90 or E92, where the trunk is that isolated ... I suppose it would work great in an E91.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #60
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Are you saying that SWS-8 (or a similar replacement for the slim profile under-seat sub-woofers) would provide excessive bass????...

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #61
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Do you have any dates yet as to the release for the 335i coupe?

Will this trip any error codes by replacing the stock speakers or is there any way for the dealerships to know that they were changed other than the sound? My car is leased and I just want to make sure it doesn't void any warranties.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #62
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Have you ever taken a close look at the OEM 4" drivers (other than the underseat OEM woofers) used in the Individual Audio system? Their construction, materials used, frequency response? They are either component or coaxial, and the front component system has a separate crossover module instead of a inline cap as the other OEM systems.

Personally, they do not need replacement, they need power. Because all and each of these OEM 4" drivers are also 4 ohms, adding aftermarket amps is easier as there is no constraint in wiring options (parallel connection) as the other OEM systems and their 2 ohms speakers. And once as plenty of power is fed to them they sound great, with nice, not harsh highs, well define voices and solid mid bass down to 150Hz.

So you can actually keep these OEM 4" drivers, replace the underseat woofers with the SWS-8 and amplify all these speakers with some 1000W RMS: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=235880

I don't think that new drivers will make up my biggest dissappointment with the Individual Audio: muffled voices.
So this thought applies only to the individual audio system and not the Logic 7 system? In your opinion would Logic 7 owners benefit from the BSW speaker only upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #63
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
We are shipping Wagon/Sedan now. Coupe/Vert coming soon.

Right now it will be full stage 1 but we will soon offer individual upgrades as time allows. In the beginning thought it will be full upgrades.
really? when? On your website it still says pre-order.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #64
Halston@bsw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post

Definitely a good deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubern00b View Post
Are you saying that SWS-8 (or a similar replacement for the slim profile under-seat sub-woofers) would provide excessive bass????...
We don't want to make a subwoofer upgrade part of the stage 1 speaker upgrade. Many customers are looking for a sound quality upgrade with no additional bass. So we separate out the packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftconstruct View Post
Do you have any dates yet as to the release for the 335i coupe?

Will this trip any error codes by replacing the stock speakers or is there any way for the dealerships to know that they were changed other than the sound? My car is leased and I just want to make sure it doesn't void any warranties.

Thanks
We have never had a tripped OBC No voided warranties, that will not be a problem at all!

335i Coupe I hope to have THIS week... Bugging the shipper and my engineers to get it packaged and to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
So this thought applies only to the individual audio system and not the Logic 7 system? In your opinion would Logic 7 owners benefit from the BSW speaker only upgrade?
Quote:
really? when? On your website it still says pre-order.
We have installed in both Standard and Logic7. All customers have been more than pleased with the results. We basically offer 2 Stage 1's and they are totally different. 1 for Standard and 1 for Logic7. We have done this since the beginning.

We have installed our uf110 in Coupes/Sedans/Wagons both with and without skipass and fold down seats. All customers were happy with the result. No worries on that front
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #65
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that was my response to the member question about an Individual Audio upgrade.

About Logic7 owners benefit of this BSW upgrade, this will only can be determined by the owners themselves. The main problem that I see with the Logic7 and any other significant upgrade -other than this BSW component upgrade that is- is that it will involve the addition of aftermarket processors and amps on top of speakers. For the vast majority of Logic7 customers that would be a big no-no, so the BSW upgrade is the only game in town so far for a quick and easy upgrade.

How big of an upgrade, that's where I have my reservations.

I would guess that the biggest improvement would be this BSW stage 1 and the BSW trunk sub for the 330i/328i/325i customers. For the 335i crowd, the BSW stage 1 and a pair of SWS-8 with its own amp would be the ticket IMO, as once this sonic "opening" in the new 4" drivers is appreciated the OEM underseat woofers deficiencies will start also to be appreciated.

Again, if a Logic7 owner is happy with the bass out of the OEM underseat woofers then the BSW stage 1 apparently -I have not sit in a car with this upgrade or any of the E46 upgrades before- will make it sound better than before.

For the standard system, my personal opinion is very simple: replace the everything from the OEM amp itself down. For a little over the cost of the BSW stage 1 that can be done and the results will be more than substantial.

Last edited by Technic; 12-01-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #66
Trelos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 white 335xi & 89 white 325i

Quote:

No splicing!

Thanks for the answers.

So the new amp will be 100% plug and play and only amp the front and rear speakers on the non L7 cars correct?

Will the old amp still be in place to amp the under seat subs?

And specs would be a great help.

I was impressed with stage 1 and can't wait for stage 2
Appreciate 0