E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW 335d problem - bad service from BMW

11-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Beamer335d
Rep
Drives: e91 335d

BMW 335d problem - bad service from BMW

A few months ago (when my car was still in warranty) there was a problem with the soot filter (a filter that make's it more ecological). The dealer hold my car 3 days with them and replaced it. Since 2 weeks, my car had some "power" and "reaction" problems. Normally my 335d with 580NM Torque would go loose direct after hitting the gass. This time he was verry lame. I went to the dealer who checked what the problem could be, and they said the car was just fine (because there computer doesn't show any problem . They said they just replaced some cables "yeah right..." When driving back home, I noticed that nothing was changed (exept my music cd, someone had changed my music while the car was in the garage ... ) I made a new apointment the week later (those people of BMW think that we have all the time of the world and don't have to go to work) for checking the problem again, same result -> nothing was done and they claimed that the car was fine. Driving back home (again... ) I noticed (again) that the car is still driving like shit! 2 Days later went back to dealer and I stayed with them, eventualy they admit there is a problem with the soot filter (which normally was already changed). When I made the remark that I thought it was already changed they just ignored it and denied it... (I couldn't proove it because it's a company car... I don't have invoices of it). At this moment my car is already 3 days at the dealer for replacing it (or they are saying that they are replacing it).

I hade the same problem with this and an other dealer concerning LMM air flow meter... Before my 335d I had an e46 330d and needed to change the air flow meter 2 times, same problem with my 335d. I also had to obligate the dealer to change it, because they first denied that there was something wrong.

Some guy's of you had the same problem with their dealers, or do I just have the luck of choosing the bad dealers...
      11-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The dealer may have updated the software. I wouldn't worry about the radio stations. A technician has to drive the car to make sure everything is running ok. Strange that they would take the car in for DPF replacement and not do the work. It's also strange that they would not give you a copy of the work order.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
The dealer may have updated the software. I wouldn't worry about the radio stations. A technician has to drive the car to make sure everything is running ok. Strange that they would take the car in for DPF replacement and not do the work. It's also strange that they would not give you a copy of the work order.
Earlier this month the dealership had to keep my 335d (US version) for ten days.The diesel fluid pump (anti-pollution) went bad and it took them a couple of days to diagnose it and then,once diagnosed,it took a week for them to get a replacement pump from Germany.In the several months I've owned this,my first BMW,my car's been unavailable for 10 days versus the zero days I was without my two previous cars (both Infinitis).
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Earlier this month the dealership had to keep my 335d (US version) for ten days.The diesel fluid pump (anti-pollution) went bad and it took them a couple of days to diagnose it and then,once diagnosed,it took a week for them to get a replacement pump from Germany.In the several months I've owned this,my first BMW,my car's been unavailable for 10 days versus the zero days I was without my two previous cars (both Infinitis).
Doesn't surprise me with the volume dealerships have to handle these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
bballfreak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Service at dealerships

I warned my service advisor that I will check the color of the engine oil after they claim it was changed. I take a white towel, and check the color.
If it looks anywhere near black, I refuse to accept. Same thing I do is with the brake fluid flush.
I do know that oil turns black after the car is driven a bit after oil and filter change. But I check it before I leave the dealership.
I found that once the oil looked black and may be they never changed it
or was partially changed. They changed the oil and looked a lot better.
I bring white paper towels.
I am a Chemical Engr. worked for ExxonMobil.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
I warned my service advisor that I will check the color of the engine oil after they claim it was changed. I take a white towel, and check the color.
If it looks anywhere near black, I refuse to accept. Same thing I do is with the brake fluid flush.
I do know that oil turns black after the car is driven a bit after oil and filter change. But I check it before I leave the dealership.
I found that once the oil looked black and may be they never changed it
or was partially changed. They changed the oil and looked a lot better.
I bring white paper towels.
I am a Chemical Engr. worked for ExxonMobil.
So, how do you check the oil quality on a modern BMW?

Guys, please let bballfreak answer since he's the chemical engineer who used to work for Exxon.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
bballfreak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

checking oil quality

What I did was to immediately check the color of the oil which the dealer
Claimed ti done the oil change. I found that either they did not wait
Long enough to be sucked out or drained. The oil was still
Black immediately after they claimed it was changed.
You can send out the oil for analysis which gives the
Composition especially if there are any metals.
Generally what wears out is the additive package in
Synthetic oils. What drains out the last is basically more
Of the sludge etc.
I generally change the oil out myself every 4000 miles.
Because I get the oil relatively cheap at $5.95 per quart
From my sources.
Appreciate 0