E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Road to 600+ WHP

05-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoasis View Post
The set of stage 2+ turbos I had made 675 whp at one point and even now over 600whp with the next owner. Well into 70k+ miles now.
Out of curiosity, which brand? And how much boost were/are they normally run at + what supporting mods? I'm assuming by the time you did the turbos you were FBO (or at least catless DP, DCI and FMIC) and I know the inlet options we have now make a big difference in longevity of these aftermarket turbos but I'm curious as to how much outlets and other things help in the long run.
I thought only Vargas have 2+? And what's better for longevity for turbos with inlets? Stock location, or re-location?
      05-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #24
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIPutHere View Post
I see, I've read about some people having major issues though. I don't know all the facts or side stories. I'm just a bit hesitant to buy purchase since it is either the product, or maybe the customer who had them installed improperly. I feel bad since there are rumors on the threads about what brands are reputable and it's hard to know who to believe. What I am looking for is mid 500s on pump gas (if that is plausible) and north of 600whp with an e50 mix
If your location is correct, you're in CA, so you have the worst fuel... ACN91. To make 500+ on that without meth or alcohol in tank you'll need to run significant boost and not a lot of timing. In that case I'd tend to recommend a size up turbo wise from what someone with access to 93 octane would want. Most guys talking about what they'd make aren't familiar with just how piss poor Arizona/California/Nevada fuel is... it's more comparable to 89 octane in any other state -big difference when it comes to reasonable timing targets -ask any of the tuners of your choice.

Any of our turbos at/above Stage 2 will make 600+ on ethanol (2, 2+. GC lite, GC's, Stage 3).

If I can help, feel free to shoot me an email, I'm happy to discuss options and what we can do for you.

Chris
Yea California has horrible gas. I'm leaning towards the 2+hybrid. I see that they're on sale right now, I don't plan on buying any until at least June. Just thought I'd prepare by researching turbos and getting opinions, will they still be on sale then?
      05-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #25
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Stock or relocated doesn't really matter a lot for longevity, both versions have options that breath well. Longevity usually comes down to something involving shaft speed, all else equal. Good breathing inlets matter, outlets matter too but the hot compressed air is less sensitive to flow disruptions.

The 2+ is a long standing favorite -they're currently on my car (old version). I bought them before I started working for VTT and have enjoyed them for years. When you're ready to pull the trigger ping me first -I'll make sure to take care of you.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #26
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Stock or relocated doesn't really matter a lot for longevity, both versions have options that breath well. Longevity usually comes down to something involving shaft speed, all else equal. Good breathing inlets matter, outlets matter too but the hot compressed air is less sensitive to flow disruptions.

The 2+ is a long standing favorite -they're currently on my car (old version). I bought them before I started working for VTT and have enjoyed them for years. When you're ready to pull the trigger ping me first -I'll make sure to take care of you.

Chris
I see, I was hoping to run mid 500whp on pump gas, and that is possible with Cali gas? Car is FBO, already have inlets and will plan on getting outlets. Thanks for your help by the way! Definitely will have more questions to ask
      05-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #27
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Mid 500's on ACN91 with a realistic tune will require a lot of turbo. We did it on the GC's with a low timing target but it isn't a map I'd drive around all the time. I haven't seen it on anything smaller than GC's unless they use some small ethanol blend or spray some methanol.

Chris
Appreciate 0