E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help with N52 engine noise.

07-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Help with N52 engine noise.

Hello, and thanks to anyone who can help.

Last night when I was driving home, I started to hear a weird noise, it sounded like something flapping around on the front of the car. I wasn't far from home, and no warning light came on.

I noticed that the noise didn't seem to change with RPMs, I didn't feel any loss of power, or vibrations, and the noise continued when I stopped, and took the car out of gear.

The noise appears to me to be coming from, or at least is the loudest, on the passenger side. I took the below video when I got home, the engine was hot, so the fan was going, later today I might take another video with the engine cool, so may be able to hear the noise better.

I have not read for codes yet, will do that later today.

To me, it does not sound metallic, and almost sounds like air. Is it possible that this is related to the PCV valve heater? If the valve melted, could I be hearing air pushed out from the crankcase? Or, are there any vacuum hoses I need to check?

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

OK, so I was checking out other video's on N52 noises, and this one sounds like the noise I heard. Could my PCV have failed because of PCV valve heater recall problem?

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0