E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

06-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #7833
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Thanks for the shout We have tuned a few track only n54's with stock and upgraded turbos. I got off teh dyno with one today actually. The car has never even been registered to drive on the street. it is strictly a track car. It's an 08 135i with a MASSIVE widebody and full custom cooling vents for front and rear brakes. The car is incredible looking.

We will be working with them on a few fun projects coming up and have joined up for the upcoming track seasons to keep his car running the way it should with full support of PTF Tunes for all of his events. His pump gas only (93oct) tune today made HUGE power under the curve on RB turbos
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #7834
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF
Thanks for the shout We have tuned a few track only n54's with stock and upgraded turbos. I got off teh dyno with one today actually. The car has never even been registered to drive on the street. it is strictly a track car. It's an 08 135i with a MASSIVE widebody and full custom cooling vents for front and rear brakes. The car is incredible looking.

We will be working with them on a few fun projects coming up and have joined up for the upcoming track seasons to keep his car running the way it should with full support of PTF Tunes for all of his events. His pump gas only (93oct) tune today made HUGE power under the curve on RB turbos
Is this the one that national speed in Wilmington nc?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #7835
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
You will be fine running agressive with that mix for sure. You can always log it to make sure the car is happy as well. Sport vs Agressive is slightly higher boost and timing targets.
Thx, Major General! I'll give it a shot next week and throw up some logs. I've tried the Aggressive map once on that mix but it was also the only time I used the linear throttle and I hated it.

I think that may have biased my experience with the Aggressive map since the Sport ST map felt faster by comparison. Cant wait to give the Aggressive ST map a try and see if I can tell any difference.
      06-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #7836
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
This is that car but it was built at a different shop. The owner of the car used to work there
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #7837
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
I've seen my N54 pull timing, presumably because of high IATs (ambient at 95 F or higher). The oil gets hotter but, stays just under 250 F. This is with street driving, though.
charge temps will certainly do it esp. on pump gas.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #7838
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
This is that car but it was built at a different shop. The owner of the car used to work there
I can't see the pics but as soon as I read wide body 135i I knew it had to be that one. Seen it in person. It's immaculate. I believe his name was bobby? Anyway there's a thread on it on importsnc with some cool pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #7839
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Hey guys, just loaded Stage 2+ FMIC Agressive, and I do see timing pull from my initial pulls 2nd -3rd gear but the last pull i don't see any timing pull which was in 4th gear. Is it possible that the ECU didn't adopt yet on the initial pulls?

My mods are:
VRSF 3" Catless DPs - just installed
VRSF 5 in Front Mount Intercooler
K&N Drop In filter
Stock Exhaust
BMS Oil Catch Can
ER Charge Pipe with Stock Diverter Valves
Car is 2008 335i e92 Manual Trans

Here is the file from 2nd to 3rd gear pull WOT (with timing pull)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha9b10s81s610kx/datalog3.csv

Here is the 4th gear pull (last pull which shows no timing pull)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kma9332feued2g2/datalog4.csv

Will do more runs but the car is so fast dont want to end up in jail so have to find a good straight. Just need your thoughts.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #7840
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
More than likely it's the CATs that are working against you, at least at first. It doesn't take long on a road course for the CATs to get hot and kill your power. After that then oil/ECT temps are next on the list of suspects.

If you're serious about tracking the car then this problem will probably need to be addressed on a couple different fronts.

Talk to @Jake@ptf about a map specifically for road coursing the car and, if it is allowed by your sanctioning body, methanol injection. The chemical cooling effects meth injection offers is awesome.

Then look into running a better oil cooler setup than the stock unit. I know @MDORPHN has a really slick setup on his 1M and he probably is one of(if not THE) top track guys on the forums. So you may want to talk to him.
Thanks for the reply. Could you help me understand how hot cats kill power? Are they heating up the block, and therefore the oil? Would you expect power to begin fluctuating as I'm experiencing at 260* on the gauge?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #7841
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Thanks for the reply. Could you help me understand how hot cats kill power? Are they heating up the block, and therefore the oil? Would you expect power to begin fluctuating as I'm experiencing at 260* on the gauge?
I didn't mean "catalytic converters" I meant "Charge Air Temps". The DME will begin reducing timing advance as charge air temps begin to climb.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #7842
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
I didn't mean "catalytic converters" I meant "Charge Air Temps". The DME will begin reducing timing advance as charge air temps begin to climb.
That makes much more sense. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #7843
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra View Post
Hey guys, just loaded Stage 2+ FMIC Agressive, and I do see timing pull from my initial pulls 2nd -3rd gear but the last pull i don't see any timing pull which was in 4th gear. Is it possible that the ECU didn't adopt yet on the initial pulls?

My mods are:
VRSF 3" Catless DPs - just installed
VRSF 5 in Front Mount Intercooler
K&N Drop In filter
Stock Exhaust
BMS Oil Catch Can
ER Charge Pipe with Stock Diverter Valves
Car is 2008 335i e92 Manual Trans

Here is the file from 2nd to 3rd gear pull WOT (with timing pull)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha9b10s81s610kx/datalog3.csv

Here is the 4th gear pull (last pull which shows no timing pull)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kma9332feued2g2/datalog4.csv

Will do more runs but the car is so fast dont want to end up in jail so have to find a good straight. Just need your thoughts.
LOL - This is why I cant post up any more logs till my Valentine 1 gets here!

Do a 3rd - 4th gear WOT pull, then when it shifts into 5th look at the speedo!!! I'm pretty sure the result of that would be the Beemer impounded and a trip to jail if busted at those speeds, or just hold down WOT and hope he never catches up (and you dont die trying to evade him in the process) lol
      06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #7844
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
I believe at 265* you'll hit limp mode, your teetering on the verge of limp mode and badly need an oil cooler (shitty for u the 07 didnt have one stock)

Mine oil temp always runs about 230* now with my Helix FMIC (Yes, the FMIC dropped my OIL temps about 10+ degrees) If I beat on it like hell it'll get up to maybe 245*, and this is with 100*+ Ambient air temps and the stock oil cooler.

My only cooling upgrade is the Helix, which by the way, I found the fitment of to be a POS and I would not buy it again for that reason. They should be ashamed for claiming it to be "direct fit, no cutting required" that statement is complete bu****it, and I couldn't even finish putting the shit in w/o going to the hardware store for fender washers, heavily modifying the mounting brackers with a drill/grinder, and trimming the hell out of the plastic in front of the intercooler to get it in. Oh yea, and the Hard J pipe was too long, and 90* bent hose was too long too. Literally the only part of the kit which didn't need modifying was the straight silicon hose, and it was 1/4" too short!
      06-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #7845
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Not sure if the question was asked and I did search. Can you reset all service info with COBB? Like oil change, brakes etc...? It mentions that COBB reads ECU codes and can clear them, although did not find any about service info. Of course all service info can be reset manually, but just checking if COBB can do that too.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #7846
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
Not sure if the question was asked and I did search. Can you reset all service info with COBB? Like oil change, brakes etc...? It mentions that COBB reads ECU codes and can clear them, although did not find any about service info. Of course all service info can be reset manually, but just checking if COBB can do that too.
no but you can do that directly through the car computer or bt cable or inpa
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #7847
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335XI///M View Post
I believe at 265* you'll hit limp mode, your teetering on the verge of limp mode and badly need an oil cooler (shitty for u the 07 didnt have one stock)

Mine oil temp always runs about 230* now with my Helix FMIC (Yes, the FMIC dropped my OIL temps about 10+ degrees) If I beat on it like hell it'll get up to maybe 245*, and this is with 100*+ Ambient air temps and the stock oil cooler.

My only cooling upgrade is the Helix, which by the way, I found the fitment of to be a POS and I would not buy it again for that reason. They should be ashamed for claiming it to be "direct fit, no cutting required" that statement is complete bu****it, and I couldn't even finish putting the shit in w/o going to the hardware store for fender washers, heavily modifying the mounting brackers with a drill/grinder, and trimming the hell out of the plastic in front of the intercooler to get it in. Oh yea, and the Hard J pipe was too long, and 90* bent hose was too long too. Literally the only part of the kit which didn't need modifying was the straight silicon hose, and it was 1/4" too short!
That sucks to hear. I have the Helix and 09+ pipe as well and didn't have any of those problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #7848
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Depending on the type of driving I'm doing, I've been switching between stg 0 and stg 1 aggressive LT with no issues for a few months.

Yesterday, I switched to stg 1 aggressive LT and did a few 3rd gear pulls. Each time triggered a limp mode with reduced power and a p30ff boost leak code. I went out and did a couple pulls today, this time with logs.

I'm not experienced with interpreting logs, but I wanted to see what you guys think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalog16.zip (6.2 KB, 65 views)
      06-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #7849
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks to hear. I have the Helix and 09+ pipe as well and didn't have any of those problems.
That's what I thought, especially after all the positive stuff i've heard on here.

Issues

1. No Washers were supplied in the "Kit" & the hole in the mounting tabs is so big the bolt goes right through without a 1.25" washer with only a 1/4" hole in the center.

2. The plastic in front of the intercooler prevents it from moving forward enough for the back to be flush with the radiator (only an issue I suppose is you intend to put the Rad fan back in LOL) In other words, quite to the contrary of Helix's claim to fame.... Cutting was/is required of the car... Really sux, because this was a main reason for going with Helix

3. After trimming the plastic, the intercooler still does not move forward enough to be flush with the radiator allowing the fan to fit back into place, cutting about 1/2" slot into the mounting tab was required to move the intercooler into the correct position.

4. The hard J pipe was literally 3" too long and would not fit at all. I had to bust out the hacksaw at 1am and cut that bitch to have any hope of driving to work in the AM.

5. The 90* Elbow was also too long, and was interfering with all the stuff in that area in general, the space there is at a premium, and this was unacceptable. Had to be trimmed also to fit in the given space.

6. This leaves only the straight silicone hose, which I was sure wouldn't be right by this point. So I took measurements to cut it to length, and it needed to be 6 1/4" long.... Too bad it was only 6". So I didnt have to cut it, but now my clamps have literally less than 1mm between the edge of the clamp and end of the hose because of it being 1/4" too short.

Long & Short of it - IMHO the fitment of the Helix FMIC is total shit and I wish I would have bought any other IC because of it. Namley COBB or HPF 5" maybe, all in all thought now that it's in my hacked up car it seems to be doing it's job pretty well....

Sorry for the rant but that whole indecent really irritated me... If anyone here needs a new FMIC I suggest you not get the Helix, unless fitment is of no concern to you.
      06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7850
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
I've seen my N54 pull timing, presumably because of high IATs (ambient at 95 F or higher). The oil gets hotter but, stays just under 250 F. This is with street driving, though.
My Cobb will be here tomorrow. How do I know if my car is pulling timing? It is completely stock as it stands right now. What else should I look for in terms of the car running correctly. How will I know if I am getting misfires?

Tks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #7851
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
My Cobb will be here tomorrow. How do I know if my car is pulling timing? It is completely stock as it stands right now. What else should I look for in terms of the car running correctly. How will I know if I am getting misfires?

Tks.
You'll definitely know if you get misfires. The car will run like crap when you try to hammer on it and then it will start shutting down cylinders and then it will run even worse.

As far as the other stuff goes, you'll need to datalog. Give this a read http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472

Last edited by Ænema; 06-03-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #7852
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I'm loving the Cobb stage 1 aggressive. Car runs great, but hotter than before with temps going a bit passed the middle 250 where it'd never go with just ppk.

Will a FMIC and stage 1+ help with these oil temps or does that have nothing to do with it? Car has stock oil cooler.

Will an intake help? I have a drop in kn filter currently, no other mods. Looking at either injen or bms; although the dinan intake looks the best.

Butt dyno from 1 to 1+: significant or just more consistent?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #7853
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
I'm loving the Cobb stage 1 aggressive. Car runs great, but hotter than before with temps going a bit passed the middle 250 where it'd never go with just ppk.

Will a FMIC and stage 1+ help with these oil temps or does that have nothing to do with it? Car has stock oil cooler.

Will an intake help? I have a drop in kn filter currently, no other mods. Looking at either injen or bms; although the dinan intake looks the best.

Butt dyno from 1 to 1+: significant or just more consistent?
Neither of those will drop your oil temps. You need either a bigger oil cooler core to keep temps at 240* full time with the stock t-stat, or get BMS's thermostat delete with your stock/aftermarket core to have oil flowing through it full time.

1 to 1+ is a big difference and you will feel it. 1+ is more powerful than Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #7854
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Quote:
Neither of those will drop your oil temps. You need either a bigger oil cooler core to keep temps at 240* full time with the stock t-stat, or get BMS's thermostat delete with your stock/aftermarket core to have oil flowing through it full time.

1 to 1+ is a big difference and you will feel it. 1+ is more powerful than Stage 2.
A vented hood should help out a few degrees as far as engine temps