E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Which tweeters?

10-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
daveyM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red M3

Which tweeters?

I have an E90 with the basic stereo system (no tweeters). I'm upgrading the head unit to a Pioneer DEH-8400 which has a built in amp.
http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25...0BT/index.html
I want to add some tweeters to give a bit more clarity, so my question is can anyone recommend which tweeters to get?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
If you're sticking with the stock door speakers, get a pair of the Logic 7 tweeters from BMW. They're supposed to be a good match.

O/T: That's a sexy HU I wish I didn't have iDrive.
      10-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Hi i would recommend changing the door speakers also they are pretty useless with the base stereo. You have logic 7 speakers or jenhert or bsw which are straight fit . You will need to get tweeter mouldings for door. You probably already know but when you replace factory stereo you will loose pdc etc and the ability to code car.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
daveyM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Hi i would recommend changing the door speakers also they are pretty useless with the base stereo. You have logic 7 speakers or jenhert or bsw which are straight fit . You will need to get tweeter mouldings for door. You probably already know but when you replace factory stereo you will loose pdc etc and the ability to code car.
I ended up going for the BMW HiFi tweeters. Hopefully they will improve the sounds slightly which is all I'm looking. I won't keep this car too long so don't want to she'll out loads of money on it. I got a harness from Connects2 which keeps the PDC and multi function wheel etc, along with tweeter housings for the new tweeters. Here's hoping it brings the sound up to a half decent level!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
daveyM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
If you're sticking with the stock door speakers, get a pair of the Logic 7 tweeters from BMW. They're supposed to be a good match.

O/T: That's a sexy HU I wish I didn't have iDrive.
It is nice isn't it
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
brettp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d (E92)Coupe M Sport

Hi, did you just add in the HK tweeters and tweeter covers? looking to do this also. Did it before on my 123d but wondered if it could be done the same.

You dont have any part numbers to hand at all do you?

Did you notice a big improvement for adding the tweeters alone? want to add the earthquakes again but want something now rather than spending loads.

Cheers in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
daveyM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettp View Post
Hi, did you just add in the HK tweeters and tweeter covers? looking to do this also. Did it before on my 123d but wondered if it could be done the same.

You dont have any part numbers to hand at all do you?

Did you notice a big improvement for adding the tweeters alone? want to add the earthquakes again but want something now rather than spending loads.

Cheers in advance
I haven't had a chance to get it all installed yet because the connects2 harness I ordered was faulty. I should be able to answer your question on how it sounds in a few days when I get the replacement harness. I went for the tweeters from the Hifi upgrade, not the HK. They were only £56 so I thought i would take a chance on them. Part numbers are 65136964012 for the tweeters. I also got the tweeter housings, but I don't have the part numbers for them. I got all the parts through Cotswolds BMW. Guy called Ben was very good to deal with and gave the best prices I could find.
Also remember if you have the base head unit in your car simply adding tweeters will not improve the sound because the EQ settings on the head unit are set for the base speaker system, I.e. no tweeters. I'm not bothered about this as I'm changing the head unit for an aftermarket one.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
brettp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d (E92)Coupe M Sport

thanks Davey, much appreciated. Was looking to an in a amp shortly so that should help.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
daveyM3
Private First Class
Rep

Finally got the new head unit and tweeters installed and I'm happy to report that the sound has improved quite a bit. It's not at a level that would keep any audiophile happy, but for a small investment I've got it to a level that I can be happy with over the next 12 months that I will keep the car. I recon changing the front mids would improve the sound even more as the standard ones are pretty pants. I'll probably keep an eye out for a second hand set, but for the moment I'm very happy.
Appreciate 0