E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Do I need an ICOM cable or a K/D-Can cable to code my head unit?

05-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #23
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

But the point is to be able to code it to Hi Fi.
Or anything else you want to code it to.
Or are you saying this would cause a VO Read.
Process the car seems like an option that is not
recommended here.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #24
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

The answer appears to be Yes - I do need an ICOM to code the head unit

Your milage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:28 AM   #25
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
I have the same error while coding my 2URAD, I guess its because our cars are from 2009++.
How ever I was able to reset at least MULF2HI to default with DCAN (which is also on MOST like 2URAD).
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765036
I think in theory it should be possible to reset 2URAD to default too.
The key is to "Process car" all modules at once, you still get error, but module will be reset to default.
Of course it will reset all modules so you will lose anything if it was adjusted/tuned/coded... So you must backup what you can.
It resets modules in that order how they are listed in NCSExpert, but the problem is that MULF2HI is in front and 2URAD is at the end, so MULF2HI is being reset first and then you get error, and reset process stops, not sure if you can continue after that.

One option would be to remove all modules which through errors (like MULF2HI) before 2URAD, so 2URAD would get its reset turn. But not sure if its doable?
Other option would be some how to change the order of modules listed in NCSExpert when doing "Process car". Does any one know if that is possible?
Mine is a 2011 328i e90 with base stereo recoded to HIFI, for reference. So dunno about the 2009+ part unless you're possibly dealing with CIC,CCC

I don't believe you have to process the whole car as someone tried that and their files look like a mess now.

As part of adding $676, did you also remove the old base stereo option code (trying to remember that number and if I removed it - I remember researching and looking, but I think it was just the radio option that can't be deleted)? Once you've added $676 in there, highlight it (click it), then process the FRM and CAS, then 2urad (which you seem to be having issues with). Are you sure you're using the right profile each time?

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=13639605
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #26
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Mine is a 2011 328i e90 with base stereo recoded to HIFI, for reference. So dunno about the 2009+ part unless you're possibly dealing with CIC,CCC

I don't believe you have to process the whole car as someone tried that and their files look like a mess now.
I have BMW professional radio with base audio in E92, not CIC or CCC. If its not the year which make this coding restriction maybe its E92+year? Or the radio unit? For some reason its called 2URAD in NCSExpert. Is your called 2URAD too (picture with "Get coded: 2URAD")?

I did "Proces car" on my own car. You must have backups and know that this will reset all modules (unless it will get error and stop, like MULF2HI/2URAD throws errors). I restored one module, and MULF2HI was reset, after that it stopped reset because it gets error on MULF2HI, and did not reach 2URAD. If it would be possible to change modules order of "Proces car" it would be great.

Last edited by Hotter; 05-21-2019 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #27
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have BMW professional radio with base audio in E92, not CIC or CCC. If its not the year which make this coding restriction maybe its E92+year? Or the radio unit? For some reason its called 2URAD in NCSExpert. Is your called 2URAD too (picture with "Get coded: 2URAD")?

I did "Proces car" on my own car. You must have backups and know that this will reset all modules (unless it will get error and stop, like MULF2HI/2URAD throws errors). I restored one module, and MULF2HI was reset, after that it stopped reset because it gets error on MULF2HI, and did not reach 2URAD. If it would be possible to change modules order of "Proces car" it would be great.
Mine is 2URAD.

You can see my previous post with a failed attempt to read it with K+D can cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #28
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post
Quote:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/vzVwdXR/sdsdf.png[/img]

Mine is 2URAD.

You can see my previous post with a failed attempt to read it with K+D can cable.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post

[img]https://i.ibb.co/vzVwdXR/sdsdf.png[/img]

I believe you're correct and 2URAD is for US specifically. I'll see if I have time to go back in and confirm. Sorry I'm just commenting from memory.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Bimmergeeks' cable should work.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #30
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Bimmergeeks' cable should work.
I don't think so. I think my K+Dcan cable was from Bimmergeeks.
It works just fine on MHD and XHP.
Just can't code the 2URAD module with it. I can't even read from it !!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #31
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lithuania gets the US spec?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #32
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

This was discussed a lot on the stereo and UK boards .
At some point you could not program most bus modules
with a K/D can cable alone. Some say it was 3/07 build where
they went from a K can bus to a D can bus . But the details as
to why never had a solid response. Or what year which Icom
became the rule.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-21-2019 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #33
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

Mine is 2URAD.

You will need an ICOM to code yours using the MOST bus.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #34
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
You will need an ICOM to code yours using the MOST bus.
Yup, thanks !
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #35
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
I don't think so. I think my K+Dcan cable was from Bimmergeeks.
It works just fine on MHD and XHP.
Just can't code the 2URAD module with it. I can't even read from it !!
Are you 100% sure it's the bimmergeeks pro cable? I've used that on MOST-bus modules plenty of times. Working with MHD and XHP doesn't mean much.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #36
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is some production build point where K/D can cables
do not work for programming Most Bus Modules.
There are all kinds of things not clear about this.
When this started to happen for what production dates
For which modules in which cars.
Some say it was 3/07 when they changed from k can to d can.
Other nebulous reports say not until 2009 .
Some say it effects the pro radio and not the idrive units.
It would be nice to have it nailed down.

The article on the Pro Radio with USB and Sat built in seem to
indicate it could be programmed on an older car.
But not a newer one. Makkan00 on the stereo board was
adamant that this could not be done with out Icom . I believe
he had a bench setup that with icom for programming.
He no longer does this stuff however.(Also was a Londoner)

Last edited by ctuna; 06-03-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
lordbmw270.00