E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Handover of Web App

09-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Handover of Web App

Hi guys,

Once a project concludes and the freelance developer hands me the source code - can i ask him to sign a document to ensure all the code is his work and nothing has been copied which may lead to me getting sued ?

Just hoping for some insight & advise on how to handle this final stage in a project!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Shouldn't that sort of thing be in your initial contract/statement of requirements?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
Shouldn't that sort of thing be in your initial contract/statement of requirements?
Thanks for the reply

We have a verbal contract via email exchange. He'd be singing something official right before I take delivery.

I'm just curious if a contract goes to that extent of specifically mentioning plagiarism and who the liability sits with?

Another way, is it socially acceptable to to ask a developer to sign a document that opens themselves up to legal issues if their work doesn't hold up?

I'm not a techi but I understand strings of code can be copied and hard to detect until the IP owners come knocking.

Any advice welcome !
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

If anyone ever has the same question as me, this is the clause you need:

INDEMNIFICATION. The Developer agrees to indemnify, defend, and protect the Client from and against all lawsuits and costs of every kind pertaining to the software including reasonable legal fees due to the Developer’s infringement of the intellectual rights of any third party.
Appreciate 0