E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2021 Smartphone retrofit options for E92 2011 LCI

01-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
eku1s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M Sport 2011 LCI

2021 Smartphone retrofit options for E92 2011 LCI

Hi,

Car: BMW 325i M Sport LCI - build date 1/2011 (UK spec).
Multimedia options: S609, S612, S615, S616, S620, S633, S694, S698, S6AA, S6AB, S6VC

I have spent hours researching this online and have learnt many things, however I have some key questions to ask before I go ahead and retrofit options, as many posts are out of date and no longer applicable. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything I'm about to say!

My car does not have 6FL or 6NR and I would like to retrofit either one of these to allow charging of my phone and audio capabilities at the same time. I have an iPhone XS so could use the ConnectedDrive features if they were available.

The good news is that, although the car is pre 3/2011 (something changed on this build year?), it has a combox. BMW Services shows on the CIC which from my research is indicative of no 6NR.

6NR - I understand this option allows for lightning iPhones to connect to the combox and utilise ConnectedDrive functionality including the BMW apps. I have seen a lot of talk about generating FSC codes, so I'm guessing this is now possible to retrofit?

6FL - I understand this is to be used in combination with a Y-cable, which was aimed at the original 30-pin connector iPhones and also allows playing music from a flash drive.

My questions to start with are as follows:
  1. 6FL - With the exception of playing music from flash drives, does this option give me any benefit in 2021 considering the Y-cable is not really an option?
  2. 6NR - Can this be retrofitted relatively easily, given I have the combox? There was talk of FSC codes but gather this might not be relevant as it's been 'cracked'
  3. 6NR - Can this be used as a traditional 'iPhone dock', whereby the song that's playing, album art etc is shown on the screen with the ability to use steering wheel buttons?
  4. 6NR - If I were to retrofit this, are the apps available '2011' apps, or will they be the latest available? How do the apps get updated on the combox? Is there a modem in the car, or do they get updated through the phone?
  5. Will the ConnectedDrive online services still work given the age of the car? And is there a subscription necessary? Will BMW care if I've retrofitted it myself (without obtaining an FSC code)?
  6. Can 6FL and 6NR exist at the same time?

I am a technical person so nothing is much of a challenge if it's just standard coding, although at this time I only have a K+DCAN cable as I did some basic bits to an E82 and E87 I owned in the past.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks, Luke.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You need go to to the coding and idrive sub forums also .
The idrive forum will know what's going on with the options.
My understanding is if you have the right idrive with the proprer
software and a combox all you may need is antenna's and a microphone.

You might need and ICOM to code a 2011.
The cutoff year was 3/07 for most bus coding with a K/D can cable I believe.
Appreciate 0