E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > eBay Bluetooth Streaming Box DIY and Reveiw

07-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #199
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Edit.

Last edited by solo118; 07-19-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #200
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Hey, I picked one of these up a while ago and have been procrastinating with the install. I currently don't have a way to code besides ProTool.

Is there a line in the code that exists that may just need a active / inactive toggle for the CDC? Or will I need to code in a new line with the proper tools?

I briefly looked through the MOST, FRM, CAS and other entertainment module lines but nothing stuck out.

Also, will I be able to physically install this and still be able to use the radio without coding? In theory the loop should be completed right? It just wont recognize the device until coded?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #201
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Yes there is a line in the Pro Radio that say's cdc nickt aktiv
where you take out the nicht . Also in the Idrive but I don't
know which file the early idrive has many.

You need NCS expert for that as far as I know.

This has been described in the early part of this thread read it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #202
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Nice,

For Protool app..

Under the Entertainment menu, then Radio sub-menu, enter "expert coding" and the first option will be the CDC - Aktiv/Nicht Aktiv toggle. After finalizing the radio will reboot. The CDC option appears in the menu when you toggle from CD Player, AUX, radio... Done.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #203
flyrr100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, F150 crew cab

I though I'd nailed it! I was playing with BimmerCode's Expert section, and there it was.... CDC Activate! So I activated it, hit CODE, and it came back ECU not supported. UGH!
2008 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #204
GUnited
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i auto coupe

outstanding write-up, going to emulate this
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #205
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Hey I read this thread over a few weeks, but don't remember if this was asked. Does this eBay MOST bluetooth box accept audio stream into the USB port? Or does it just play music files off a USB stick like MP3s? The tablet I have can output digital audio via the USB port (for input into an external DAC), and this would be lossless audio if the box can accept it as input.

thx!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #206
karmatose
Rep
Drives: '09 182i

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1987 BMW 325is  [0.00]
Just installed this again today after pulling it out of my E90 and into a 2009 128i. Just a couple notes incase someone stumbles across it.

As far as pulling out the center stack, the hvac controls and heated seat controls come out as one piece. I'm not sure about other configurations, but that's how it was in my car. I just went caveman style and yanked it out. You also need to remove the trim above the stereo to get it to come out and for that I used a trim removal tool.

When it comes to power, I used a fuse tap at fuse 74 for OBD2 as it provides fulltime power. In my previous install I used Fuse 2 which is also supposed to be OBD2, but there's no power there. I got ground off the T30 bolt beside the fusebox (just like I did on my E90 install). It is a pain in the ass to get to the fusebox but I found that it was easier to remove the glovebox completely to just get it out of the way. One thing to note, I learned WHY this box needs full time power. If it doesn't have power, the speakers make this annoying ticking noise. I assume because the stereo thinks something is missing and keeps trying to 'call home' for it. So yeah, give it full time power.

The most curious part though is that I do not have a CD changer in my car (that I am aware of) but when I had everything connected properly, I did not have to do any coding. I didn't pull the VO off my car beforehand so I'm not sure if $694 is just there by default and will show up if a CDC is connected, but that's how it worked for me.

Also, it wasn't completely obvious but I have USB and factory Bluetooth in my car. I flipped dip switch 4 on the bottom of the unit which disabled phone bt on the box and allows me to use the factory system for that. Also, i was worried about the USB on the box interfering with the factory system. It does not. Just works. Just treat it like it's not even there.

Overall, much simpler to install the second time around now that I know what I'm doing, even if it was slightly different. Thanks again for the directions, Nickco43.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #207
karmatose
Rep
Drives: '09 182i

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1987 BMW 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenene View Post
Does this eBay MOST bluetooth box accept audio stream into the USB port?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivenene View Post
Or does it just play music files off a USB stick like MP3s?
Exactly this.

Still a worthwhile purchase. I've had mine nearly 2 years now and love it.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #208
thefrog1394
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Also to switch sources between sd card , usb and bluetooth
streaming you have to double tap the on off button to cycle
to the next source . This is not explained in the instructions very well
or at all.
Hmmm... I wonder if this is the source of the sporadic issue I have periodically where my phone is connected via BT but the box gets stuck on "Track 01" and doesn't play anything until I re-power the device (which based on how I have it powered means turning off the car and locking it and letting it sit for 20 minutes ). If so this would be a lifesaver!!

Edit: well just tried double tapping, and without a second source, it doesn't do anything. So I don't think I was accidentally triggering this or anything. Fingers crossed that the double tap trick will wake the system up when I hit the issue in the future but don't have super high hopes.

Last edited by thefrog1394; 12-08-2020 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #209
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

When it's on bluetooth streaming the display is stuck on selection one.
And you have to have bluetooth music playing on your phone with
bluetooth selected on the phone as the output.
If you have the Pro Radio in order to change sources you have to push
the on off button twice to do to the next source (usb, sd , bluetooth , aux)

and there has to be something plugged into the source .

The most wonky thing about the box is this source selection method
and there is really no explanation of how this works in the instructions.
THE INSTRUCTIONS PRETTY MUCH SUCK

phone connects automatic if you use it but I still don't know how to use the menu's
on that since I don't use it that much I don't care . But I can answer and make calls
and that's about all I care about.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #210
jivenene
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
When it comes to power, I used a fuse tap at fuse 74 for OBD2 as it provides fulltime power. In my previous install I used Fuse 2 which is also supposed to be OBD2, but there's no power there. I got ground off the T30 bolt beside the fusebox (just like I did on my E90 install). It is a pain in the ass to get to the fusebox but I found that it was easier to remove the glovebox completely to just get it out of the way. One thing to note, I learned WHY this box needs full time power. If it doesn't have power, the speakers make this annoying ticking noise. I assume because the stereo thinks something is missing and keeps trying to 'call home' for it. So yeah, give it full time power.
Just to clarify, are you saying when the box was not on constant power, the speakers would make a ticking noise, even with the radio OFF? Would there be an issue to have this box receive power ONLY when the radio turns on? I have to review the electrical system in this car from that long PDF......
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #211
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

I have an Australian 2007 e93 with the Nav display on the dash, CCC Idrive and bluetooth (for phone only). I also have an upgraded sound system that includes a Dension500 (MOST) with an ipod connector and 6 CD shuttle hanging off of it. I have a 8.8" android head unit and carplay dongle but the sound from the Android is terrible. I have tried to connect a Bovee (and clones) to the ipod connector but, while it streams from my iphone and I can see the radio is getting a signal (a new aux source pops up on the enterntainment /aux/root/source menu), nothing streams. I have a few options and was hoping for some input:
1. keep stuffing around, throwing more 30 pin bt dongles at the ipod connector.
2. figure out how to make whatever signal is coming from the Dension, to play. I recall a very old thread where one had to start the stream with the ipod then switch to the dongle?????
3. local Dension supplier says that there is no BT addon for my 500 MOST and is tring to sell me a Grom plus BT addon for $500. ouch!
Get a newer android head unit with better sound and better Idrive integration $500, ouch
4. Use the device which started this thread but I cannot find it on ebay anymore.

Please help.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #212
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Cheap android head unit that feeds your music though and aux is most
likely the problem. Dension should be not problem for USB .
But I really don't understand because the Android Head unit should have usb.
The Dension should be at least as good if not better than the cheap bluetooth
box so I don't even know why you are pursing this thread.
Bluetooth audio is always worse than Usb.
(given the same bit rate files)
Does the Android Head unit have Bluetooth?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

there is a lot of discussion on fidelity of bluetooth in the above thread.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-18-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #213
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Not sure whether the head unit feeds it through the optical fibre connection or through another Aux. At any rate, the sound quality really sucks compared to CDs or the Ipod (via the Dension). If the HeadUnit had Bluetooth, how would that help anyway - it would be via the aux (as you stated).
I believe there is a lightening connector for the Dension.

OK, let me explain what I am trying to do.
I listen to Spotify on the head unit via a USB Carplay dongle attached to my head-unit. This is preferred over using the native Spotify app n the head unit because CarPlay has all the apps I need and phone integration....Again, even the native app would use the aux connector.
These dongles now have an option to "use bluetooth" for sound. Alternatively one could airplay to a connected bt speaker.
If I can get BT through the ipod connector, I would have amazing sound.

Last edited by Aussieatlarge; 01-19-2021 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #214
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Cheap android head unit that feeds your music though and aux is most
likely the problem. Dension should be not problem for USB .
But I really don't understand because the Android Head unit should have usb.
The Dension should be at least as good if not better than the cheap bluetooth
box so I don't even know why you are pursing this thread.
Bluetooth audio is always worse than Usb.
(given the same bit rate files)
Does the Android Head unit have Bluetooth?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

there is a lot of discussion on fidelity of bluetooth in the above thread.
ctuna,
Forgive me, I am proposing a work-around solution rather than stating the issue. Let me start again. Here is my setup:
'07 E93
with iDrive Professional CCC, 8.8" dual slot.
upgraded speakers and sub-amps(?) in my doors
a Dension 500 Gateway (MOST)
in my boot, next to my CD shuttle
connected to a 30 pin ipod connector
a switch in my armrest that allows me to select "ipod" or "CD".
an older Android 8.8" head unit in my dash.

Playing CDs or songs off my ipod is amazing.
Anything out of the Android head unit is terrible. Flat basically.

I use a USB CarPlay dongle to listen to Spotify through the Android head unit which sounds terrible. I have noticed that the new firmware on the dongles has to option to output sound to BT rather than through the radio. (which is why I started down the BT route)

In order of preference I would like to see the following outcome:
1. ability to control Spotify on my head unit, streamed from my phone using CarPlay, without losing audio quality
2. ability to listen to Spotify without losing audio quality. (I would forgo the control just to get good audio from Spotify.)

I have been told that my model of Dension has no BT option. https://www.dension.com/automotive/p...ns/gateway-500
There is a lightening connector option but I assume one cannot stream Spotify through a lightning connector. ??
The local Dension dealer has suggested a GROM MST4 with a BT dongle but that seems crazy considering I have invested in the (older) Dension.

I have read that the sound quality on the newer Android Units is a lot better but that is very subjective.
I have noted that some of the head-units advertisements mention "keeping the optical connection". I am dubious as to whether they are actually using it for audio or Canbus data. If they use the optical for so audio, should that guarantee better sound than Aux?
Finally, I see some instructions to "look on the plug at the back of the radio for 8 wires which indicates whether one has a optical amp". Is that relevant?

Your support is much appreciated.

Last edited by Aussieatlarge; 01-19-2021 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #215
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you have a Dension that indicated you have an optical connection through that device.
Most Bus is just two optical fibers and in and out connected to each module in the chain.
People have indicated that normal bluetooth always looses something over USB.
Aptex bluetooth codex are suppose to be better as per the thread I published but
both your phone and the receiver must have the aptex codec for that one.
As far as I know lightining cable uses the aux for music which is why the quality
stinks.
I have the cheap bluetooth box and I can say is sounds as good as the cd player when
playing the same files. It does not sound as good over bluetooth playing the same
files from my phone. I have about 1500 bucks worth of speakers and amp so it's
a great sounding system but my choice is to record my own library on usb
and not depend on a subscription service.
These are 320 kbit mp3 files.
Spotify is suppose to play 320kbit files but I don't know if that is for sure or not.

There are many cheap Chinese Head Unit's now what they do to the sound is
a total unknown.

Not much choice here .
I thought the dension had bluetooth on some models.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-20-2021 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #216
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I am not in love with the cheap Android Units and frankly the 8.8" screen is quite small. If I could find a good double din unit from the likes of Kenwood that covered these requirements, I would be ecstatic
.great sound
.Idrive integration
Steering wheel Integration
.Car Play

Is that a Pipedream?

guaranteed good sound and Idrive steering button integration, I would jump at that option
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:46 AM   #217
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Anyone know more about the device "Dension Clone" which is the subject of this thread. It seems to no longer be available. Was it the Grom?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #218
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

https://www.amazon.com/Most-Bluetoot...1157075&sr=8-4

https://mr12v.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #219
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ctuna,
You are a legend. I think this will be my best option. It might not be as crisp as you would like but at least it will go through my amp and sound better than my android head unit. Comes in at half the price of the Grom and BT connector. There is a local distributor who I can return it to. There may be a CD shuttle and Dension 5000 Gateway for sale pretty soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #220
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If somebody would make one of those android head unit's that would attach
to the Most Bus the way the this box does it would be a pretty good thing.
Appreciate 0