Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Those who drive car in winter

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Those who drive car in winter

Do you use "peformance" winter tires or regular winter tires?

I'm not to sure anymore. Was going Michelin X ice xi3 but for abour 40$ more I can get Pirelli - WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 which appareantlt are a "performance" winter tire for more sporty cars?

I have a 335is.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Caffeine Powered
Keep it moving
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

I had Blizzaks on my fwd Audi and it made a difference here in Wisconsin. That being said, our 4Runner also wears Blizzaks in the winter and is the go to option when there's more than three inches on the road. Braking, control and starting are all improved if you don't drive like you're invincible.
      10-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

You have performance car....get performance winters to match.
if you have camry and drive like old lady get x ice.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Do you use "peformance" winter tires or regular winter tires?

I'm not to sure anymore. Was going Michelin X ice xi3 but for abour 40$ more I can get Pirelli - WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 which appareantlt are a "performance" winter tire for more sporty cars?

I have a 335is.
I would get the Michelin Pilot Alpine over the Pirelli. If you drive a lot of dry roads during the winter (many of us), the extra dry-road performance and decreased wear is valuable. In this use of the word "performance", they're not talking about winter/snow/ice performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
You have performance car....get performance winters to match.
if you have camry and drive like old lady get x ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I would get the Michelin Pilot Alpine over the Pirelli. If you drive a lot of dry roads during the winter (many of us), the extra dry-road performance and decreased wear is valuable. In this use of the word "performance", they're not talking about winter/snow/ice performance.
But that's the thing, as floydarogers is saying, when they say performance they're not talking traction wise for winter right? It's more for dry roads?

This winter I see myself driving very tame so that's why shouldn't I just get a very good normal winter tire. I will also try to avoid driving on the street with snow of about 10 to 5cm that is unplowed.

And a non performance winter tire seems to be even better if you are just driving normal. Just trying to see where it fits. I know my open diff RWD will have a hard time and just looking for my best options for best traction.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
When you're in the middle of a snow storm you're going to want the all the snow traction available. Get the blizzaks and never look back.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

I just bought some IX3. They're quieter than Blizzaks and just about as good in the snow. Like you, I wasn't looking for superb performance in the winter. I can easily lose traction with my current MPSS on dry pavement so I didn't bother looking at 'performance' winter tires, instead I decided to go with a tire that can handle the worst conditions.
      10-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
When you're in the middle of a snow storm you're going to want the all the snow traction available. Get the blizzaks and never look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
I just bought some IX3. They're quieter than Blizzaks and just about as good in the snow. Like you, I wasn't looking for superb performance in the winter. I can easily lose traction with my current MPSS on dry pavement so I didn't bother looking at 'performance' winter tires, instead I decided to go with a tire that can handle the worst conditions.
Ok thanks, this confirms it I'll get normal winter tires.

And yeah, it's either the WS80 or X ice xi3 for me right now, not sure what to get. Heard the blizzaks last lest longer but the michelin are a little less good.

We will see what's in stock I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Blizzak 1000% , my car is a tank in the snow. I know all XI's are ok , but still tires make a world of deference even with the XI.
My winter set drive quite and smooth what more could you ask.
Get a used set they are everywhere on here, don't forget to check born on date new or used.
      10-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
Blizzak 1000% , my car is a tank in the snow. I know all XI's are ok , but still tires make a world of deference even with the XI.
My winter set drive quite and smooth what more could you ask.
Get a used set they are everywhere on here, don't forget to check born on date new or used.
Might aswell can a set of new I did not pay for my winter wheels. Used them from my old car.
Appreciate 0