E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pioneer Appradio 2 SPH-DA100 install (double din)

11-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I may have my App Radio 2 for sale.

Thinking of putting the new Alpine dab nav unit in.

£250 delivered if anyone is interested. 11 months warranty on it and boxed like new.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #24
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I may have my App Radio 2 for sale.

Thinking of putting the new Alpine dab nav unit in.

£250 delivered if anyone is interested. 11 months warranty on it and boxed like new.
Interested, still have this?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, still have it.
Really quite like it, so haven't been in a desperate hurry to swap it out. But would let it go as that would force me to go for the Alpine. Just not sure the Alpine is worth £600 extra!?

If you're interested blip me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #26
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

SO.......
I have my car back but it got to go back as the aerial is fooked from the repair and requires new rear glass. Gonna wait till all that's sorted before fitting. but it will be done before xmas as i'm going belgium after and need it for the trip. Also on a side note should be getting some black 230 wheels fitted soon too. then on to my Alpina spoilers.

Out of interest has anyone had any issues tapping into the 12v from the cig lighter?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooli9 View Post
Out of interest has anyone had any issues tapping into the 12v from the cig lighter?
No. But it is ignition switched.

If you are having problems finding a 12v permanent feed it is either from the fusebox or the battery, only two places.

But these installs should be done with a steering wheel adapter and pdc adapter to retain everything you need working properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
Danno1975
Rep
Drives: 2006 320d msport touring

Good luck with the install, I'm looking to fit this to my E91 touring, just bought a new S-Max which has all the bells and whistles, makes my Beemer seem low tech, this seems a perfect way of getting everything for a decent price. Looked ad the Eonon and Dynavin units but can't convince myself!!?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

Soooooooo

The repair saga is finally finished with the alignment, aerial and windows all sorted after the repair. Had a nice little 62 reg 118d coupe, which was the other car of choice when looking at e92, glad i got the e92.

Anyway, the radio is finally in. A moment of silence...........

11am - 4pm - testing then install

A few points......

Galaxy S3/Note owners you will need a 5 pin to 11 pin usb adapter.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...EPL-FU10BEBSTD

this is not readily available in UK samsung stores and i am waiting to here back from the flagship store in stratford, so will update you guys.

The instructions you get with the kit are worse than ikeas. Use the dynavin guide i posted earlier and you'll be fine.

You will need to trim the sides of the air con controls to it fit in the bottom (mine sticks out currently as i need a file).

Cd-AH200C - the red cable is very short, i recommend lengthen it as the fuse on the end is a pain the tuck away. Also don't do what id did. the correct 12V feed is the thick red cable going into the cig lighter not the brown one.

Fuse box - I'm currently going through trial and error with the fuse location. I tried the one not used below 45, that cut out after 20 mins so settings gone, so moved to 35 and am testing. If anyone knows the correct one please share because my fat hands can barely fit in the opening.

The fasica kit is a bit cheaply made but looks the part. the brackets used to fix the radio in place are made of plastic too, which i think should have been metal for the price paid.

There was just enough space to shove all those wires the the cavity. I drilled a hole through the base of the cig lighter so the usb lead is rooted there. and ipod lead is rooted through to the little glovebox to the right of steering wheel (RHD).

Other than that no issues, rooted the GPS and mic via left A Pillar. GPS is in the corner of the dash. A Pillar is removed by screw behind plastic airbag tab and sliding up and out. Front roof light is removed by unscrewing sun visor screws closest to light and popping light out from behind headliner.

Other than that no issues. If anyone gets stuck give me a shout and i'll post some pics of mine soon, after i get the controls flush. As i test i'll report back also so stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #30
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

oh and i picked up so some nice genuine black 230 style wheels. But since i have just gotten 4 brand new tyres, i'm gonna wait till like march before i swap unless someone wants to bite my arm off for a set of 157 wheels with brand new conti run flats
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #31
Danno1975
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Soooooooo

The repair saga is finally finished with the alignment, aerial and windows all sorted after the repair. Had a nice little 62 reg 118d coupe, which was the other car of choice when looking at e92, glad i got the e92.

Anyway, the radio is finally in. A moment of silence...........

11am - 4pm - testing then install

A few points......

Galaxy S3/Note owners you will need a 5 pin to 11 pin usb adapter.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...PL-FU10eBEBSTD

this is not readily available in UK samsung stores and i am waiting to here back from the flagship store in stratford, so will update you guys.

The instructions you get with the kit are worse than ikeas. Use the dynavin guide i posted earlier and you'll be fine.

You will need to trim the sides of the air con controls to it fit in the bottom (mine sticks out currently as i need a file).

Cd-AH200C - the red cable is very short, i recommend lengthen it as the fuse on the end is a pain the tuck away. Also don't do what id did. the correct 12V feed is the thick red cable going into the cig lighter not the brown one.

Fuse box - I'm currently going through trial and error with the fuse location. I tried the one not used below 45, that cut out after 20 mins so settings gone, so moved to 35 and am testing. If anyone knows the correct one please share because my fat hands can barely fit in the opening.

The fasica kit is a bit cheaply made but looks the part. the brackets used to fix the radio in place are made of plastic too, which i think should have been metal for the price paid.

There was just enough space to shove all those wires the the cavity. I drilled a hole through the base of the cig lighter so the usb lead is rooted there. and ipod lead is rooted through to the little glovebox to the right of steering wheel (RHD).

Other than that no issues, rooted the GPS and mic via left A Pillar. GPS is in the corner of the dash. A Pillar is removed by screw behind plastic airbag tab and sliding up and out. Front roof light is removed by unscrewing sun visor screws closest to light and popping light out from behind headliner.

Other than that no issues. If anyone gets stuck give me a shout and i'll post some pics of mine soon, after i get the controls flush. As i test i'll report back also so stay tuned
Any photos of your install?.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #32
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

Forgot to mention you have to fiddle the aerial adaptor into place although it looks like it's designed wrong it will fit.

Heard back from Samsung that adaptor is not available. You can buy the mhl adaptor that gives you full hdmi port and 11 pin usb but this then replaces the pioneer provided Mel adaptor in the CD-ah200c kit. And Samsung one has a very short lead plus it would mean it works only with newer Samsung device like S3 and galaxy note.

The air con controls have filed back. The fascia is designed to stick out a bit at the bottom. They could have made it flush but it's not a deal breaker. The alternative is the other fascia kit with DIN on bottom but I think the radio is too low.

And finally for all you 12v enthusiasts.

I found the constant 12v in the fuse box. After 5 attempts and accident disconnecting my steering controls. I am using fuse 38 which is one of the engine fuses. There mystery solved. This may be applicable to European diesel cars but there's enough of them about.

Pics soon I promise
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #33
Danno1975
Rep

Looking forward to the photos, tempted to fit in my BMW and smax

Quote:
Update

Forgot to mention you have to fiddle the aerial adaptor into place although it looks like it's designed wrong it will fit.

Heard back from Samsung that adaptor is not available. You can buy the mhl adaptor that gives you full hdmi port and 11 pin usb but this then replaces the pioneer provided Mel adaptor in the CD-ah200c kit. And Samsung one has a very short lead plus it would mean it works only with newer Samsung device like S3 and galaxy note.

The air con controls have filed back. The fascia is designed to stick out a bit at the bottom. They could have made it flush but it's not a deal breaker. The alternative is the other fascia kit with DIN on bottom but I think the radio is too low.

And finally for all you 12v enthusiasts.

I found the constant 12v in the fuse box. After 5 attempts and accident disconnecting my steering controls. I am using fuse 38 which is one of the engine fuses. There mystery solved. This may be applicable to European diesel cars but there's enough of them about.

Pics soon I promise
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #34
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi as promised some pics

I still haven't secure the bottom, trying to get it as flush as possible. see pic

Also just a note, i found setting the rear speaker output to subwoofer get a beetr sound from the floor subs.

If you want specific pics let me know
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
Danno1975
Rep

Quote:
Hi as promised some pics

I still haven't secure the bottom, trying to get it as flush as possible. see pic

Also just a note, i found setting the rear speaker output to subwoofer get a beetr sound from the floor subs.

If you want specific pics let me know
Cheers mate, looks smart, any pics of its running, ie Netflix, sat nav, mp3 etc ?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #36
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Still got one of these for sale.

SPH-D1000 boxed as new.
9-10 months of warranty remaining.

£220 delivered.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #37
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll post more pics when my 5 pin to 11 pin usb adaptor comes

Also those worried about losing the ability to reset to computer you can still do it through the stalk

Just tap bc button until you get to the value you want to reset the hold bc button for a couple seconds
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 MT

I have the same fascia in my car and I've never managed to make it look flush, bad design but its the best one out there at the moment.

Alpina D3 sold 2015
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #39
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Congrats on the install looks like a good head unit mate. Its not so important if the trim doesnt sit flush, if you wanted flush you would have went with OEM. So all is well.

Is that a wrap on your trim? or piano black finish? Also whats up with the Gear selector? Is that a wrap on there too?

Pioneer ftw
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #40
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina-d3 View Post
I have the same fascia in my car and I've never managed to make it look flush, bad design but its the best one out there at the moment.
Indeed the janus design fascia is better done although the unit is at the bottom which i didn't like
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #41
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Congrats on the install looks like a good head unit mate. Its not so important if the trim doesnt sit flush, if you wanted flush you would have went with OEM. So all is well.

Is that a wrap on your trim? or piano black finish? Also whats up with the Gear selector? Is that a wrap on there too?

Pioneer ftw
I have piano black trim (best one) and the gear selector is scratched to bits. bought a used replacement the other day but it won't stay on lol. i'm such a cheapstake lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #42
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

i just ordered the appradio2 (£199 in halfords). hows you're experience been? any issues/annoyances?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #43
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

none really, but if you have a new samsung phone you will need either the TIP adapter or the full hdmi adpater to convert the pin out. The full hdmi adpater is used instead of cd-ah200 but you will need a 3rd party cig usb charger also.

other than that it's all good
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #44
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I took mine out.
It was pretty good though, just not the sound quality I was looking for and I found switching to app mode a bit of a ball ache, two very different interfaces, didn't flow as well as it should imho.

But overall not bad at all.

I put a Pioneer DEH-80PRS in my Merc, the sound quality is just immense, but it lacks the looks and features of the App Radio.
Plus I was not sure what was happening with the iPhone 5, but see there is now a cable for it, although £90 which is a bit steep imho!!
Appreciate 0