E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > FRM3 Resurrection Thread

03-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #353
tomvleeuwen
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 E85 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptoR228 View Post
Hello,
i have an error when i try to write / read / erase or something else.

"Unknown MC9S12 device. Part ID: 0x0204C486"

I use the X-Prog V5.5.5
My port connection the xprog seems to be fine: Com7 (Xprog-Box)

You have some idea to fix it?

Thank you.
X-Prog clone v5.5.5 can't read or write FRM3 reliably.
Downgrade to X-Prog v5.5.1 and use a dump from the Internet (v5.5.1 can't read D-flash) or buy a new Xprog v5.6 or newer. It's best to buy genuine off coarse. Genuine UPA-USB works flawlessly as well if you think X-Prog is too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #354
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

hi. Friend of mine got FRM dead after reading errors with ISTA. Which dump file shall i use for him , if he has 2011 e92 LCI with adaptive lights (xenons)?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:47 AM   #355
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post a picture with the label
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #356
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najt View Post
hi. Friend of mine got FRM dead after reading errors with ISTA. Which dump file shall i use for him , if he has 2011 e92 LCI with adaptive lights (xenons)?
You don't need a dump. Just read the dflash and extract the eeprom.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #357
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

Such an amazing thread. Thank you all!

Last edited by SLF80; 07-06-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #358
Vincentnini2011
Rep
Drives: Mini F56

Hi guys,
Just ordered a XProg 5.55 to restore FRM.
Have seen all your posts about how to do that and I should achieve that easily now.

1 questions remains : is it possible to restore frm to virgin ? No vin, no VO/fa nothing as if it was new ?

Thanks for your answers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #359
danzio2020
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnini2011 View Post
Hi guys,
Just ordered a XProg 5.55 to restore FRM.
Have seen all your posts about how to do that and I should achieve that easily now.

1 questions remains : is it possible to restore frm to virgin ? No vin, no VO/fa nothing as if it was new ?

Thanks for your answers
Slim chance of a successful restore with China clone XPROG 5.5.5. I’ve tried with several FRM3’s and only 1 managed to get a successful read twice in a row (read+verify). Usually there’s a verify error and you can’t get two of the same dflash dumps. Ordered a genuine UPA-USB hopefully it works better than XPROG 5.5.5 clone.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #360
enriqxxx
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 2010

frm3 update

FRM3 9390490

https://mega.nz/#!zV5SmSaJ

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #361
Vincentnini2011
Rep

Thanks

My xprog is on it’s way, I should have it within the next days and a friend of mine has a Workshop with many dead FRMs in stock he gave me some to try.

When repaired (if working) I’ll try to fit them into a car.

As FRM vin change is easy (if I’ve a good memory) I’ll won’t try to restore it to virgin.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #362
Vincentnini2011
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvleeuwen View Post
X-Prog clone v5.5.5 can't read or write FRM3 reliably.
Downgrade to X-Prog v5.5.1 and use a dump from the Internet (v5.5.1 can't read D-flash) or buy a new Xprog v5.6 or newer. It's best to buy genuine off coarse. Genuine UPA-USB works flawlessly as well if you think X-Prog is too expensive.
Same Promblem, how to downgrade to 5.51 ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #363
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep

I have a strange problem with one frm3. Someone sent it back because he had errors on the door lock. When i ve got the frm back and test it, the module it was actually dead. I tried to read the d flash but gave error that the chip is secured. I erased the chip and wrote only EEE as i had a backup of it. Everything went fine and the EEE was written correctly but the FRM is still dead, no communication to CAN!

Does anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #364
tomvleeuwen
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 E85 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnini2011 View Post
Same Promblem, how to downgrade to 5.51 ? Thanks
You need a way to program the AVR in-system, for example using a AVR ASP. These programmers are available for a few bucks. Another Xprog will work as well.

Search for "xprog isp" on Google and you will find a tutorial.

Find a file called x-prog551.rar for the correct firmware.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:27 AM   #365
Vincentnini2011
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvleeuwen View Post
You need a way to program the AVR in-system, for example using a AVR ASP. These programmers are available for a few bucks. Another Xprog will work as well.

Search for "xprog isp" on Google and you will find a tutorial.

Find a file called x-prog551.rar for the correct firmware.
Thanks,
I've soldered the wires to the dead Xprog and i'm stuck here, i've an other working xprog but don't know how to process then..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #366
Vincentnini2011
Rep

Hiii;

Finally (i think) managed to restore FRM3.

here is my story and maybe help if i can :

Bought a Xprog clone (bad one) and read Dflash. convert to EEE but always corrupted. Vin was showing WMWXXMyy0102Y7yy93 for example. I didn't notices this immediatly so i've flashed with this EEE. Too late to read DFLASH again as it was now only 0x0.

So, i bought New Xprog clone, was not working for an hour then suddenly it started working and it always works now (chinese clones pleasures)

I didn't have Dflash, it was 0x0 as i flushed it with the first Xprog.. So I found a EEE file online for my FRM part number.

BUT, writting file i always had many verrify errors.
>> I disabled verrify check and it worked.

At the end, i Have :
DFLASH : 0x0 which i think it the expected value
EEPROM : made a new read and compared it with the donwloaded file : They are exactly the same.

If you see anything i made wrong do not hesitate, i didn't test the FRM for the moment.

EDIT : I tested 4 and they're fully working

Last edited by Vincentnini2011; 10-24-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #367
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Has anyone outside of the US market got their FRM replaced due these issues? If so, did they (BMW) send out a different bulletin to each region?

I’m currently working with someone in Peru where the FRM failed. And, their dealer claims they’ve never heard of the extended warranty for the FRM. Not that their car isn’t eligible (which it meets all criteria), but they physically have not heard of that extended warranty.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #368
Virtual Factoid
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011 N52K AT

Seeking expert opinion on something I am planning to do:

So, I got the dreaded Death Warning from Carly a couple months ago about impending FRM3 malfunction which stopped me in my tracks and I left it at that. My FRM3 module works perfectly at the moment. I have disconnected the battery multiple times for other work and that did not affect my FRM3. I guess it would have gotten bricked by now if I had overridden the Carly warning and gone ahead with coding back then.

Here's my plan:

1) Remove the module
2) Read D-Flash using Orange5. Note that my Orange5 is a clone but suffers from none of the instability issues that xprog clones have (yes I tried xprog 5.55 from China and gave up in frustration after endless "verify errors" while reading D-Flash. In fact, I couldn't get a single clean read). Another bonus is that EEE does not need to be completely busted for Orange5 to be able to read, unlike xprog.
3) Use tomvleeuwen's converter to create EEE binary from D-Flash
4) Write that back to EEE using Orange5

Note: I tried my Orange5 experiments on a known busted module that was not from my car.

Do you think doing the above would let me start from a clean slate as far as Carly's Death Warning is concerned? Will restoring EEE from D-Flash re-start the counter for the firmware death-bug? Or would I just be back to square one with no improvement in my situation at all? I need to code/change a few minor settings but will not take the risk if bricking was a serious possibility.

------------------------------------

*Edit: I have come to realize upon further reading on this topic in other forums that there is no D-Flash partition in a good FRM3 module. So all I can do is save the current EEPROM content and write it back when it goes bad. My question then is can I do that preemptively? Would that achieve anything at all? Will that reset the "brick" counter from "imminent" to some later date in future?

Last edited by Virtual Factoid; 11-03-2019 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Update on assumptions made
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:16 AM   #369
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

You are correct in what you say.

In your position I'd look for an existing good eee dump and program that...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #370
BMW_Detlef
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Unknown MC9S12 device

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptoR228 View Post
Hello,
i have an error when i try to write / read / erase or something else.

"Unknown MC9S12 device. Part ID: 0x0204C486"

I use the X-Prog V5.5.5
My port connection the xprog seems to be fine: Com7 (Xprog-Box)

You have some idea to fix it?

Thank you.

Hello,
I have the same problem with the error message "Unknown MC9S12 device" as described in #365.
In very few cases, data was read, but then the error message came when verifying.
I also use XProg Clone V5.55.

By chance I found a solution to avoid this error:

I wrongly selected the processor "9S12XD" (Subtype: Freescale 9S12XD / Device: MC9S12XD256_FLASH) and tried to read the Flash.
Here I get also the error message "Unknown MC9S12X device". (It's ok because this is actually the wrong processor).

If I now choose the right processor (Subtype: Freescale 9S12XE / Device: MC9S12XEQ384_D-FLASH) and then read the D-Flash,
there is no error message and the data is reliably read out.
Repeated reading also reliably produces the same results (some files compared with WinMerge).

If someone also succeeds with this method, I would appreciate a short message here.

Kind regards
BMW_Detlef
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:49 AM   #371
Robikson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Unknown MC9S12 device

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Detlef View Post
Hello,
I have the same problem with the error message "Unknown MC9S12 device" as described in #365.
In very few cases, data was read, but then the error message came when verifying.
I also use XProg Clone V5.55.

By chance I found a solution to avoid this error:

I wrongly selected the processor "9S12XD" (Subtype: Freescale 9S12XD / Device: MC9S12XD256_FLASH) and tried to read the Flash.
Here I get also the error message "Unknown MC9S12X device". (It's ok because this is actually the wrong processor).

If I now choose the right processor (Subtype: Freescale 9S12XE / Device: MC9S12XEQ384_D-FLASH) and then read the D-Flash,
there is no error message and the data is reliably read out.
Repeated reading also reliably produces the same results (some files compared with WinMerge).

If someone also succeeds with this method, I would appreciate a short message here.

Kind regards
BMW_Detlef

It worked for me.
Thank you, it helped me a lot.

Robikson
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #372
Malibu_rod
Rep
Drives: Bmw #28i

Just reading through the pages of this thread and I see a lot of different programmers mentioned and there are some hit and misses. What is a reliable source and programmer to pick up. Lots of mention of the Xprog clones and UPA USB Programmer clones but is there a reliable vendor. Looks like my FRM3 just took a dump last night after my wife left the lights on and her coworker jump the car. She called me and said the head lights stay on but no turn signals and the windows don't work. So it looks like I need to pull it. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by Malibu_rod; 03-03-2020 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #373
danzio2020
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu_rod View Post
Just reading through the pages of this thread and I see a lot of different programmers mentioned and there are some hit and misses. What is a reliable source and programmer to pick up. Lots of mention of the Xprog clones and UPA USB Programmer clones but is there a reliable vendor. Looks like my FRM3 just took a dump last night after my wife left the lights on and her coworker jump the car. She called me and said the head lights stay on but no turn signals and the windows don't work. So it looks like I need to pull it. Thanks in advanced.
Clones will never produce reliable reads and leave you frustrated; especially the Xprog 5.5.5. A genuine UPA USB works flawlessly, however it costs quite a bit more than any china clones. I've repaired over a dozen modules with it and had no issues like I had with aliexpress clones. You can order it directly from the manufacture through the link below.

https://www.elrasoft.com/uusps.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #374
Malibu_rod
Rep
Drives: Bmw #28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
Clones will never produce reliable reads and leave you frustrated; especially the Xprog 5.5.5. A genuine UPA USB works flawlessly, however it costs quite a bit more than any china clones. I've repaired over a dozen modules with it and had no issues like I had with aliexpress clones. You can order it directly from the manufacture through the link below.

https://www.elrasoft.com/uusps.htm
Thank you for the response don't mind spending the extra money on a genuine programmer as I've read its hit and miss. One question is there are a lot of buying options ($255.00 programmer only, not bad). Looks like I don't need any type of adapter right?, I just wire it off the D-Sub connector. I'm assuming they give you a data sheet with the pin outs listed. Then I just wire up the pins I need (BKGD, RESET, VDDR (5v), VSS). Thanks again for the link.

Last edited by Malibu_rod; 03-04-2020 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0