E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Just flashed MHD and the car feels really weird

05-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt

Just flashed MHD and the car feels really weird

So I just flashed my (what I think is stock) 2011 335i 6mt with stage 1 mhd and immediately I noticed that the engine isn't as rev happy as before. It's way easier to shift smoothly now and I believe the car is making more power in the high end but the engine revs up way slower in general and there isn't much torque down low. It also takes longer to rev down when I lift my foot off the gas. I also noticed it starts from stop a lot smoother than before. I was wearing my rears really quickly before but I thought that was just because I was shit at driving manual. Now I'm thinking it was maybe the tune that was on it before.

I bought this car from its second owner who thought the car was maybe dinan tuned before he bought it but from what I read I should have a dinan sticker somewhere under the hood, right? How can I figure out what tune was on it previously?

At first I flashed with the linear throttle option and it felt absolutely awful. Then I flashed without linear throttle and it felt way better but not like it was before. Flashing back to stage 0 feels worse than any. Also the car is way quieter at startup and when idling, but it's idling at the same rpm as before. I just flashed to stage 1+ and it feels closest to what I had before but still strange.

I didn't back up the ECU because I'm pants on head retarded.

Overall I like the tune but I'm really disappointed by how slow and laggy the throttle feels...do you think this is normal?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Try logging it to see if something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Will do. I also just noticed the mhd thread so I posted there instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
flexinator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Check your codes with the MHD app. I bet there's some, boost leak? The OEM plastic charge pipe often cracks near the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Perhaps the tune you had before just had a very sensitive throttle pedal mapping.

"At first I flashed with the linear throttle option and it felt absolutely awful. Then I flashed without linear throttle and it felt way better but not like it was before."
This does suggest to me that you're used to a sensitive throttle pedal. I think that is what's really making it feel weird to you, not the actual power difference.

Get some logs if you can though, would be helpful to see if your car is running well. If you can, a 3rd gear pull from 2000rpm to redline is ideal (don't go full throttle before 2000, not good for the engine).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Perhaps the tune you had before just had a very sensitive throttle pedal mapping.

"At first I flashed with the linear throttle option and it felt absolutely awful. Then I flashed without linear throttle and it felt way better but not like it was before."
This does suggest to me that you're used to a sensitive throttle pedal. I think that is what's really making it feel weird to you, not the actual power difference.

Get some logs if you can though, would be helpful to see if your car is running well. If you can, a 3rd gear pull from 2000rpm to redline is ideal (don't go full throttle before 2000, not good for the engine).
But even if I quickly tap the accelerator to the floor in neutral, the engine revs to like 2k or 2.5k. On my last tune if I did that it would rev to like 4k. Something feels very wrong with the throttle (or it's working as intended and I'm just not used to it)

Here's that log: http://datazap.me/u/katatonia/third-...og=0&data=4-12

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

That's normal I think. Also sometimes the car will limit to 3k when parked, but maybe just the DCT/auto does that.
If your old map had, say, 90% throttle at 40% pedal travel, then your quick tap of the pedal is effectively holding >90% throttle for longer.

And in response to the MHD thread, yes your charge pipe is the stock one. Running aftermarket tunes will make that thing explode at some point, best you get an aftermarket one.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post
Check your codes with the MHD app. I bet there's some, boost leak? The OEM plastic charge pipe often cracks near the engine.
MHD isn't showing any codes actually unless I'm doing something wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's normal I think. Also sometimes the car will limit to 3k when parked, but maybe just the DCT/auto does that.
If your old map had, say, 90% throttle at 40% pedal travel, then your quick tap of the pedal is effectively holding >90% throttle for longer.

And in response to the MHD thread, yes your charge pipe is the stock one. Running aftermarket tunes will make that thing explode at some point, best you get an aftermarket one.
But it used to climb to 4k faster than it climbs to 2.5k now. Does that have anything to do with throttle sensitivity?

Also my exhaust was really loud and deep at low rpms before, and now it's quiet until I rev it out

Here's a clip I recorded a few months ago (at the time I thought it was stock, but it doesn't sound like it, does it?)

Last edited by katatonia; 05-13-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Maybe the tune or DME version you had before behaved differently in neutral?

Maybe the MHD tune just finished off an already week wastegate solenoid? You need to replace it regardless I think.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11747649407

I just took a second look at your log and switched on timing corrections. Woah that looks bad! Really bad. I think that's your problem!
You probably need new spark plugs, maybe coils.

Could someone with some knowledge look at that and give a second opinion?

I think you should avoid driving your car hard for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe the tune or DME version you had before behaved differently in neutral?

Maybe the MHD tune just finished off an already week wastegate solenoid? You need to replace it regardless I think.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-11747649407

I just took a second look at your log and switched on timing corrections. Woah that looks bad! Really bad. I think that's your problem!
You probably need new spark plugs, maybe coils.

Could someone with some knowledge look at that and give a second opinion?

I think you should avoid driving your car hard for now.
Okay, thank you for the heads up. Maybe I should flash back to stock for now?

Also my plugs are pretty new - like 7000km stock gap. Original coils though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonia View Post
But even if I quickly tap the accelerator to the floor in neutral, the engine revs to like 2k or 2.5k. On my last tune if I did that it would rev to like 4k. Something feels very wrong with the throttle (or it's working as intended and I'm just not used to it)

Here's that log: http://datazap.me/u/katatonia/third-...og=0&data=4-12

Cheers
WGDC is spiking to around 80% at initial WOT which is probably tune related. Only other thing that I noticed was corrections across all cylinders which is most likely due to crappy fuel, failed plugs/coils, or also tune related.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Bought an aftermarket charge pipe as I think it is indeed cracked.

Besides that, though, I don't understand why a tune would suddenly make my throttle response feel like shit. My exhaust used to sound so throaty at low rpms and now it just sounds sad. I didn't even go for a drive or anything before I noticed it - I just flashed and turned the car on and it was immediately noticeable. I don't know if replacing failed components is going to solve my complaints...

My car pulls the same as before when I floor it, but casual driving is just gutless. Maybe I need a custom tune to get what I'm desiring?

Edit: just flashed back to stock and it confirms that I did indeed have some sort of tune on the car before. Here's a third gear log http://datazap.me/u/katatonia/stock-...og=0&data=5-26

Last edited by katatonia; 05-14-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I think my car was flashed with ppk before.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189014

Reading this is exactly what my car felt like before. But I thought if you flashed back to stock you would have ppk again? That didn't seem to be the case for me
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #15
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Those timing corrections are still frightening, I wouldn't be flooring the car with that issue.
These massive timing pulls must surely be affecting how responsive the car feels.

PPK does certainly ramp up pedal sensitivity.
You can flash PPK with MHD if you want, just get a hold of the BIN file.
But I'd say you're best on the stock map until you get new spark plugs at least.

Get the NGK 5992 plugs and have them gapped down to 0.022
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

You can get OEM too (don't buy the N54 ones...), but I did that and I get fairly bad timing corrections unless I flash one MHD map below my octane level, which is a bit of a bummer... maybe they can be gapped down too.

Last edited by maddmatth; 05-15-2017 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Those timing corrections are still frightening, I wouldn't be flooring the car with that issue.
These massive timing pulls must surely be affecting how responsive the car feels.

PPK does certainly ramp up pedal sensitivity.
You can flash PPK with MHD if you want, just get a hold of the BIN file.
But I'd say you're best on the stock map until you get new spark plugs at least.

Get the NGK 5992 plugs and have them gapped down to 0.022
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

You can get OEM too (don't buy the N54 ones...), but I did that and I get fairly bad timing corrections unless I flash one MHD map below my octane level, which is a bit of a bummer... maybe they can be gapped down too.
Awesome, do you know where I can get the ppk bin file?

I've got only 6000km on these (oem) plugs. Should I pop them out and gap them to 0.022 or buy more plugs again? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i xdrive

Did you ever resolve your hesitation issue?

Realize this is an old post but I am having the same hesitation issue after remapping a MHD Stage 2 tune but checking the Linear Throttle Response box.

After remapping, revving is very sluggish and the car almost stalls when starting out in 1st gear. Feels like there is massive turbo lag . I tried mapping again without the Linear Throttle box checked but the hesitation/lag remains.

Issue happened immediately after the remap so I doubt it is plugs/coils/airleak etc. Most maintenance is up to date in any case.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #18
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1897 View Post
Realize this is an old post but I am having the same hesitation issue after remapping a MHD Stage 2 tune but checking the Linear Throttle Response box.

After remapping, revving is very sluggish and the car almost stalls when starting out in 1st gear. Feels like there is massive turbo lag . I tried mapping again without the Linear Throttle box checked but the hesitation/lag remains.

Issue happened immediately after the remap so I doubt it is plugs/coils/airleak etc. Most maintenance is up to date in any case.
Need to show logs.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #19
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:

Reset adaptations for everything but the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i xdrive

Still learning the MHD system. Any instructions for setting up logging process? I have auto logging turned on but not exactly sure what settings should be or how I should drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #21
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Still learning the MHD system. Any instructions for setting up logging process? I have auto logging turned on but not exactly sure what settings should be or how I should drive.
It's on MHD website but
Dsc/dtc fully off (press and hold the button)
Manual mode if you have auto.
Put MHD in auto logging mode.
Stabilize at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear and go WOT.
Shift into 4th at redline (6500~6800 rpm) and hold another 2~3 seconds.
Make sure it's safe to do so.
Must keep the accelerator pedal pressed 100% all the time.
It's easier with kickdown disabled.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #22
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Reset adaptations for everything but the battery.
On my old 335i with a vvt stage 2 I had to reset all my adaptation after every file I loaded up from twisted. Otherwise it would go insane around 2-3k.
Appreciate 0