E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Flashing a risk-free-module?

10-28-2019, 02:57 AM   #1
Knuppel
Private
Rep
Drives: E91

Flashing a risk-free-module?

My wife's E91 has a Dension that emulates oem Bluetooth. Every now and then it reboots, and since i've ruled out everything else, i'm guessing the cars firmware is too old. Per Dension's advice, updating it is best practise.

Now, i have an OBD cable flashed with Ediabaslib firmware, a 13.6v 50A power supply, and Ista P ready to go. I want to try the cable on risk-free modules first, so i don't brick the car. If i update the CCC modules and things go wrong, will the car still work / drive? I don't mind buying a new CCC module, having the car towed to dealer and reanimated is much more expensive (and puts me and the mercy of the stealership). Moreover, since CCC is the longest to flash, if it's sucessfull, i'll dare doing more critical modules.

CHOST
CAPPL
CGATE
CAUDI
CTUNE

Almost every module has 2007 firmware.

Last edited by Knuppel; 10-28-2019 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuppel View Post
My wife's E91 has a Dension that emulates oem Bluetooth. Every now and then it reboots, and since i've ruled out everything else, i'm guessing the cars firmware is too old. Per Dension's advice, updating it is best practise.

Now, i have an OBD cable flashed with Ediabaslib firmware, a 13.6v 50A power supply, and Ista P ready to go. I want to try the cable on risk-free modules first, so i don't brick the car. If i update the CCC modules and things go wrong, will the car still work / drive? I don't mind buying a new CCC module, having the car towed to dealer and reanimated is much more expensive (and puts me and the mercy of the stealership). Moreover, since CCC is the longest to flash, if it's sucessfull, i'll dare doing more critical modules.

CHOST
CAPPL
CGATE
CAUDI
CTUNE

Almost every module has 2007 firmware.
Whatever you do don't flash the CCC with a DCAN cable. It will take hours and likely fail and brick the CCC. You'll need and ICOM A and B.

Also, from what you've said I interpret that as Denison saying update the denison firmware. Not your CCC.

Also also, the Denison won't emulate factory bluetooth. The CCC doesn't support bluetooth. I guess the Denison unit is installed on the MOST ring and the car codes for a 'cd change'.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Knuppel
Private
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Whatever you do don't flash the CCC with a DCAN cable. It will take hours and likely fail and brick the CCC. You'll need and ICOM A and B.

Also, from what you've said I interpret that as Denison saying update the denison firmware. Not your CCC.

Also also, the Denison won't emulate factory bluetooth. The CCC doesn't support bluetooth. I guess the Denison unit is installed on the MOST ring and the car codes for a 'cd change'.
I've researched this extensively. It's possible to update through DCAN, but you have to use a Bimmergeeks cable, or flash the Edibiaslib firmware to a Chinese clone. Also, it's important to not drop below 13v, which is achieved by connecting a power supply (not a battery charger). The car is 12 years old, and i'm not spending money on an ICOM if i don't have to.

The Dension firmware is fully updated and it is stated in the manuals that the car should be on latest firmware. This is also the advice that was given from the Dension helpdesk. Dension 500s BT emulates a cd-changer, options: IPOD and 644.

Now back to the question: if i brick my CCC, will the car still work without any bugs (except for the nav-screen ofcourse)?
And is there another module available that i can use to test the flashing procedure that has the ability to recover when things go wrong?

Last edited by Knuppel; 10-28-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuppel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

I've researched this extensively. It's possible to update through DCAN, but you have to use a Bimmergeeks cable, or flash the Edibiaslib firmware to a Chinese clone. Also, it's important to not drop below 13v, which is achieved by connecting a power supply (not a battery charger). The car is 12 years old, and i'm not spending money on an ICOM if i don't have to.

The Dension firmware is fully updated and it is stated in the manuals that the car should be on latest firmware. This is also the advice that was given from the Dension helpdesk. Dension 500s BT emulates a cd-changer, options: IPOD and 644.

Now back to the question: if i brick my CCC, will the car still work without any bugs (except for the nav-screen ofcourse)?
And is there another module available that i can use to test the flashing procedure that has the ability to recover when things go wrong?
Ok. Good luck You could use the best DCAN cable in the world, but this won't help you flash on the MOST bus with Async. But if you've researched it then I'm sure if will be fine.

Make sure you flash in the correct order.

If you've not flashed anything before then I'd suggest update something like the Kombi (instrument cluster). You'll need to code it to default with NCS after flashing with winkfp.

If you brick the CCC you'll just lose the CCC. The car will still function correctly.
Appreciate 0