E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS remap on 325d

11-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #23
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
dxb335d Quote:
Hi Ian, no i am not? never heard of it untill now. Are you a member?
Carlos
I was kiddin Carlos,so no I'm not.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I was kiddin Carlos,so no I'm not.
      04-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325dM Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Has any one any experiance with dms ,They have mailed me today saying they could safely map my car to 245bhp and 530nm torque and all done £595 plus vat at my home .The technician claims this is undetectable by bmw service ect what does any one think ,can they be hidden thanks in advance
ESStuning delivers 280 hp and 600 NM safely in the 325d, their UK distributor is called Simpson I think.
If you have a manual gearbox you will get a 5200 rev limiter for increased flexibility and no top speed limiter.

www.esstuning.com

DJ
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Hi i have auto box

Hi dag thanks for the advise my problem is mine is auto and have been advised my box is rated at 400 nm ,what do we consider is safe plus 20% .The last thing i need is a damaged gearbox
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #27
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
I thought the standard 325d engine was 197bhp / 400Nm so you are saying its already on the edge

The ESS 325d remap does look impressive
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

no

You are correct it is 197 bhp and 400nm but the ess remap is 280 bhp and 600nm i make that 40% increase on bhp and 50% increase in torque.I think some one said 20% was the safe margin to go with standard auto box.Even though ESS figures are impressive i dont want to damage my cars reliability .
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #29
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
You are correct it is 197 bhp and 400nm but the ess remap is 280 bhp and 600nm i make that 40% increase on bhp and 50% increase in torque.I think some one said 20% was the safe margin to go with standard auto box.Even though ESS figures are impressive i dont want to damage my cars reliability .

The real numbers when dynoed is 218 hp and 440 NM, I have seen two dynoes and they are identical.
So its more like 28% up from 218 hp, and 36% increased torque.

Reliability is important, but honestly if both Hartge and ESS says its fine with that torque I believe them.
Remember ESS is one of the most advanced BMW tuners in the world, they produce a huge number of supercharged kits for most BMW models including
E46 M3, Z4, E39 M5, many of these kits have a Lysholm twinscrew supercharger with huge torque. They sell huge amounts of kits to the US market, where most cars are autos, also they have a lot of sales to Asia.
They are one of the few companies to control the map of the new M5, nowadays they sell a lot of remaps all over the world for this car.

They do all development inhouse, both mecanical and remap, and all cars are dynoed on their dynojet. And they always show the original cars power instead of just claiming the rated power as base numbers like most other tuners do.

I trust those guys, they know the BMW products inside out.

If you are into reliability, I would stick to the original 218 hp and 440 NM, it really is a good engine without any remap.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #30
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

My 325d auto was remapped by E-Maps a couple of weeks ago;

- MPG on my commute has gone from 36-37mpg to 39-40mpg
- car is noticeably smoother
- car seems more responsive as soon as you touch the throttle

In terms of performance, I wanted it to at least match my wifes 330d - and it does, but it delivers its power in a different way.

The 330d still feels more muscular than mine in the midrange, but my 325 now pulls hard throughout the whole rev-range. Its very linear and quite deceptive.

Overall I'm very happy with what E-Maps did - highly recommended!! And very good value for money.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi i am confused

Hi so are we saying that a e90 325d is not 197bhp and 400nm.the real figure is 218bhp and 440nm im confused why would bmw understate there 325 d ?? any suggestions thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
scooba0010 Hi so are we saying that a e90 325d is not 197bhp and 400nm.the real figure is 218bhp and 440nm im confused why would bmw understate there 325 d ?? any suggestions thanks
Scooba, it seems you have the 2.5 diesel engine with the EDC16+ ECU, stock figures from BMW are as you state - 194 BHP and 400 nm.

The figures in RED (above) are the suggested figures you could expect from a remap.

I think 218 BHP and 440 nm are on the conservative side, and think anything up to 230 BHP and 460 nm are more then possible.

As previously suggested (see your PM's) I suggest you explore this avenue......> http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133418
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:55 AM   #33
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi i have 3.0d

Hi HC .

I have the 3.0d 2008 ed with paddle shift gearbox.Its badged 325 though .I have followed the posts on here and i am a little confused dag has suggested that the 325d when put on a dyno is putting out somewhere around 218bhp and 440nm stock i thought mine was 197bhp and 400nm.

It was said that ESS can remap to 480bhp and 600nm this is awesome but i also took on board what has been suggested is a safe amount of extra being in the 20% margin ,My e90 has a auto box that on OEM part finder suggests is a 400nm rated item,It is a different box to the 330d this is rated at 600nm .so even though the engine is almost identical in every way to a 330d apart from the ECU i was concerned about doing some damage and voiding the warrenty.I previously had a x5 3.0diesel that was 218bhp and 500nm and i dont think there is much between my e90 and the x5 in performance plus the x5 sounded better imho.

To be fair i have been a little dissapointed with the 325d e90 . Rusty hubs is a killer and im in a big dispute with Chandlers Bmw group about it and will keep you posted on here as so many have had the same issue.

I am hoping to resolve the hub issue this week ,The guy i am now dealing with is new and has taken over from my neighbour who worked for chandlers for 24 yrs and recently quit.I have bought 7 vechicles from them over the past 14 years and i am telling the new guy if i dont get total satisfaction i will 100% be going else where i expect better from them chandlers .Piss taking w------.I dont expect any joy as i have just read BMW had there best 3 months in the uk this first quarter ,That said my family run 4 bmw from them so we will have to see .

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:23 AM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Scooba, you are taking as long as i did about deciding whether to re-map or not!
      04-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #35
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Carlos

I know what you mean.but i do have serious gearbox reservations if my box is rated at 400nm and i remap the engine to 280 bhp and 600nm im sure im going to do some serious damage ,I am sure the two guys from europe /norway no what they are talking about i think if i had the manual box it would have been a done deal as that is rated at a higher nm .?.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #36
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Scooba, you state that your confused, but your confusion pales into insignificance when compared with mine!

I think it's important to deal with the facts as presented by the manufacturer of your engine.

BMW quote a BHP figure of 197 and a torque figure of 400nm for the 325 diesel.

A remap will give an approx increase of +41 bhp and +80nm of torque, please note that these figures vary from mapper to mapper.

Given your retiscence and confusion about the whole issue, you would be well advised to talk to a couple of mappers such as DMS or E-Maps and talk through your concerns regarding the remap.

Statements like this:

Quote:
scooba0010 Hi HC .

It was said that ESS can remap to 480bhp and 600nm
add to the confusion, as the BHP figure bears no relationship to the torque figure and can not possibly be correct when referring to the 325D.

ESS Tuning might well be a cracking outfit, but those figures belong in a book by Hans Christian Anderson.

Simon from E-maps is in your area next Friday, why not pop down and see him and have a chat, or put your hand in your pocket and get the job done, there are plenty of the Guys/Gal on the forum who will attest to his work.

Here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133418

http://www.e-maps.co.uk/contact/

Dyno graph from ESS Tuning for a 325D:

Last edited by Hotcoupe; 07-28-2008 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #37
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi i am confused

Hi hc ,did you read the post back up the thread by dagjohnson.I have had two conversation with Hartge -- kevin bird who is supposedly a god in the bmw tuning world he sort of said ummm and you will require a quaife lsd and yours is the new axle style and will need machining and the numbers went up and up ie thousands ,in what case i may as px the car and buy the 330d or just forget the whole thing be happy and buy me self a new BBK from bmw and possibly a cf strut brace with a set of performance rims when will there be some prices available to us on the bmw performance range ?

I mentioned dms at the begining of the thread because they are local and seeded ok price wise .

My concern is the auto box being the weak link why would zf state 400nm i understand there is a safety factor built in ..

Do you think simon would pay for a new box if it went wrong my guessing is he wouldnt be interested and would be no where to be found .

I suppose my best option is to buy a 330d msport facelift in the autumn
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #38
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Scooba, you state that your confused, but your confusion pales into insignificance when compared with mine!

I think it's important to deal with the facts as presented by the manufacturer of your engine.

BMW quote a BHP figure of 197 and a torque figure of 400nm for the 325 diesel.

A remap will give an approx increase of +41 bhp and +80nm of torque, please note that these figures vary from mapper to mapper.

Given your retiscence and confusion about the whole issue, you would be well advised to talk to a couple of mappers such as DMS or E-Maps and talk through your concerns regarding the remap.

Statements like this:

add to the confusion, as the BHP figure bears no relationship to the torque figure and can not possibly be correct when referring to the 325D.

ESS Tuning might well be a cracking outfit, but those figures belong in a book by Hans Christian Anderson.

Simon from E-maps is in your area next Friday, why not pop down and see him and have a chat, or put your hand in your pocket and get the job done, there are plenty of the Guys/Gal on the forum who will attest to his work.

Here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133418

http://www.e-maps.co.uk/contact/

Dyno graph from ESS Tuning for a 325D:

It looks like you missed an important detail, those numbers on the dyno are rear wheel horsepower, and that means that the 325d that has a detuned 3 litre 330d engine actually does have 218 hp stock, and that ESS tunes it to the same level as a tuned 330d, 280 hp on the crank. (not so strange due to the fact that it has the same engine)

Hans Christian Andersen belongs to the world of the UK tuners, they have no clue how to remap this engine due to serious lack of knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #39
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
scooba0010 Hi hc ,did you read the post back up the thread by dagjohnson.I have had two conversation with Hartge -- kevin bird who is supposedly a god in the bmw tuning world he sort of said ummm and you will require a quaife lsd and yours is the new axle style and will need machining and the numbers went up and up ie thousands ,in what case i may as px the car and buy the 330d or just forget the whole thing be happy and buy me self a new BBK from bmw and possibly a cf strut brace with a set of performance rims when will there be some prices available to us on the bmw performance range ?

I mentioned dms at the begining of the thread because they are local and seeded ok price wise .

My concern is the auto box being the weak link why would zf state 400nm i understand there is a safety factor built in ..

Do you think simon would pay for a new box if it went wrong my guessing is he wouldnt be interested and would be no where to be found .

I suppose my best option is to buy a 330d msport facelift in the autumn

Sheesh!!!

Scooba I'm trying to help but you are not making life easy are you?

I thought you wanted a remap not a whole new car!

Given all the above, I'd part ex the 325D in for a new 335D and spec it with all the goodies from the new Performance Parts from BMW.

Then you would have 286BHP + 580nm torque + lighter alloys + BBK + CF strut brace and anything else you desire.
The downside of the above is you still won't have an LSD, so perhaps you had better get the M3 + all the other bits.

Actually thinking about it, now we are in M3 price territory + some ££bits, scrap getting anything from BMW which will result in no more complaints..................get a:

GTR job done!

Last edited by Hotcoupe; 07-28-2008 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #40
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the rusty rotors

Hi i think the rusty hubs are a valid complaint they are a joke and so is bmw stance on the whole issue .I consider bmw still a premium brand and dont expect to be fobbed off .The weird thing is how they have the gall to keep sending you corespondances begging for repeat buisness.

I personally have made it my mission to piss the local dealer off as much as they have me on this matter , The good thing being i was going to replace my mini cooper but would rather buy a new golf gti 3dr than give those twats another £ as a reasonably spec cooper s is now in the gti 3dr range and the gti has a proper boot for my dog to travel in .

I will spec up my replacement mini then drive the salesmen up the wall then point out just how reluctant they are to help when things arent right ie you need to speak to service dept ,
same with a 320d e46 touring and let him work his bollox off then go else where with that as well .

I am going to use Vines bmw gatwick for everything from now on bmw related issues

I am more than happy to rub down the disc/hubs and paint them silver give the wheels a thorough clean inside but why should i do it i expressed my concerns from day one and was assured it wouldnt be a issue if it did happen to my cars hubs.Then when it did no one was interested i have been fobbed of for three weeks this is chandlers last chance to make good .Another reason im concerned about issues with the remap .
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #41
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
scooba, TBH I believe that Hotcoupe has given plenty of sound advice re. the re-map and he has experience in this area. I've had mine done by Simon at e-maps and have absolutely no complaints, the car and gearbox (auto) are fine.

Give Simon a ring and discuss your concerns, that's what he is there for. He'd only re-map within safe limits anyhow. After all, the last thing he wants is an unhappy customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #42
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

sorry

I dont want to piss HC or any body off

but my car has the GA6HP19Z BOX rated at 400nm now the maps we have discussed are well over the 20% safety margin i think 600nm is mentioned.

Ok your 335d have a GA6HP26Z BOX rated at 600nm that can also handle a 20% safety margin so you can run 720 with little to worry about .

I originally thought for £500. a new map and better hp/torque and possibly better fuel consumption was a fair deal.

I spoke to kevin bird via reccomendation on here and was told LSD was a pre requisit as you will have probs getting the power down .and the cost went through the roof.machining rear axle etc.

I just fancy changing my stock car a little not buying my self trouble ,If things go wrong i have learnt that im 99% of the time left on my own to resolve i am not saying simon would disapear but also wouldnt expect him to say send me the bill either.

The BBK and new discs would look neat and you could see where the money had gone same with the performance rims at least you can sell them later on or sell your current rims to off set the cost of the parts.

I expect BMW new exactly what they were doing sitting a GA6HP19Z BOX in the 325d with the 3.0d engine detuning it to run well down on the 330d model same engine but different box

My neighbour who worked for chandlers btn bmw for 24 yrs. asked off the record if it was ok to map a 325d to 330d limits and there senior tech said NO and he was 100 certain it would be detected on a warrenty related box issue to replace auto box with new £5k box was £3800 plus labour around £!200
so please understand my concerns .

Very useful saying just buy it stop worrying if i had a 335d i would have no concern and have spent the £580 with DMS .I have spoken to Hartge k bird and DMS. both offer very limited warrenty

I wont mention my interest in remaps on here again i have asked enough advise from everyone and no one can stop me from having concerns over the gearbox
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #43
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Scoooba mate, chill out. Re-map the car. Speak to DMS, they can offer a softer map if you ask nicely!
      04-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #44
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I can see your concerns scooba, having read the above.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do ok
Appreciate 0