E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW E92 M-Sport - VERY HARSH RIDE Problem - KONI Special or what?...

06-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
bt49qt28c
Rep
Drives: had 35 bmws but fav is e63

BMW E92 M-Sport - VERY HARSH RIDE Problem - KONI Special or what?...

Hello mates. I've been reading these forums for quite a while but have never introduced myself. Well I'm experiencing some awful ride in my BMW 320d E92 Coupe with M - Sport suspension on it. The car is terrible over bumps. It drives like a fu*king skateboard. When I go on bumpy roads I go up and down like 3 times in a second. Also when I hit sudden bumps on uneven roads If i'm just a little faster I can hear a terrible sound like an explosion. Id' say it's ok for an m sport car to be stiff but this is terrible. While on the highway, sometimes I experience great driving, but sometimes it handles just like a skateboard. It shakes to that point that I cant drink water from a bottle, it's too bumpy... Besides of that, the car is too stiff and passangers say that they've never driven in more uncomofortable car. Even my 1 series offers better comfort O.o
So i've been searching online for problem and solutions and I came around a conclusion that I should install these KONI FSD ( Now KONI ACTIVE SPECIAL) Shocks. Does anybody have experience with them and can anyone tell me if I should invest in this thing. I am really suffering from bad ride and I'm desperately looking for more comfort and relaxed driving pleasure... If anybody has them please can you tell me if they will fit the m sport springs.
Do they really make the car a lot more comfortable?
How does the car feel like after installing them?
Do I need to install new "bump stops" with them?
Just to mention my front parts are all in good condition ( control arms, stabilisators etc.) However I think my shocks are "worn out"...
Those are my questons, I am really in love with my car and would not want to sell it. However if I cant fix this problem I might have to say goodbye to it... Could you help me? thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:44 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600290

Yes, definitely install new bump stops, unless yours are nearly new. Also consider installing new mounts too (front strut tops, and rear mounting hardware).

I'm 99% sure they work with m sport springs, yes.

In my experience, they smooth the ride a lot. They should do what you want to achieve from the car. That said, I'd also be surprised if new OE parts didn't improve the car a lot too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
msjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I have FSDs and they are very comfortable. Do you have runflats? That could be another reason for the harsh ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
bt49qt28c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjt View Post
I have FSDs and they are very comfortable. Do you have runflats? That could be another reason for the harsh ride.
I am on normal tyres, no runflats. Every person which I asked said that the ride is so different and better after Koni's so I am definetly looking for a dealer of Koni's nearby my country ( Macedonia ) to buy them, but can't find one lol... I think I'll have to order from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
bt49qt28c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600290

Yes, definitely install new bump stops, unless yours are nearly new. Also consider installing new mounts too (front strut tops, and rear mounting hardware).

I'm 99% sure they work with m sport springs, yes.

In my experience, they smooth the ride a lot. They should do what you want to achieve from the car. That said, I'd also be surprised if new OE parts didn't improve the car a lot too.
I upgraded so much stuff on my car (new wheels, lci tails etc..) and yet didnt do my suspension.. That's a stupid mistake. Btw the car has 188,000km at the moment and everything is STILL stock from the factory ( shocks, springs...lol.)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

That'll be the issue! Honestly even just replacing the bump stops all round (and leaving everything else stock) would have a surprising effect! I don't think you'll be disappointed by special actives though.

You'll definitely be able to fully enjoy your car, once you've refreshed the suspension!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
To be honest, some of it is just the platform. The car is harsh and not very well insulated from road imperfections, yet sublime in handling on smooth roads.
I've tried a lot from tires to shocks...it's just the way the car is. Designed for handling and performance first and comfort second, at what was a relatively affordable price point for the average buyer.
More expensive cars handle the extremes better
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

190k? Your shocks are WAY overdue for replacement. From the sounds of your post, they're definitely blown.

Koni SA, Bilstein B4 (sport) would both dramatically improve your state. Even new stock shocks would, lol.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
bt49qt28c
Rep

Hello mates, thanks for replying on my thread. I spent some time in my garage today and i'm updating you with some info.
I inspected all my shocks and as far as I found out is that all of them are OEM 2007 factory.
Only on the LEFT FRONT shock I saw some leakage looks like it leaked and then it got dry ( probably when I hit a big hole, if that's how it works... ).
This is what I'm talking about:

In following are some pictures from my suspension.
This is in the back my damper and springs:

What I really got worried about is in the front suspension this part of like "rubber" that is almost destroyed:

If I am right these are the so called "Bump Stops" right?

Ok my further plan is going to a full inspection of my shocks on monday, and if they confirm that stuff is not in shape anymore, I am thinking about leaving my M-Sport spring, getting brand now KONI Active Special Shocks + New Strut Mounts + New Bump Stops... I think this would be a pretty nice refresh to the suspension and should fix my crappy skateboard ride?
Sorry about the huge images i can't adjust width :|
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
bt49qt28c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
190k? Your shocks are WAY overdue for replacement. From the sounds of your post, they're definitely blown.

Koni SA, Bilstein B4 (sport) would both dramatically improve your state. Even new stock shocks would, lol.
Thanks for replying, you have a nice e92 right there!
BTW i am really interested in KONI active dampers but cant find a bmw or even whatever car in my country to test drive them...

Btw I will definetly try something. I like my car a lot and I dont want to sell it.. The only thing that is making me mad is the stiff and harsh ride... I even thought about air suspension lol...
BTW here's a pic of my car:
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
bt49qt28c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post

can you tell from the pictures that the shock is in bad condition?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Not really, except that they look old/original. It's really the age/kms on them that's the giveaway. They don't need to have leaked oil to be bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #13
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
At 80K mine were not obviously bad in the front but when I pulled them off, I could tell that they weren't showing any vigor on the return stroke.

The ride definitely smoothed out with new Koni SA and I replaced the bumps and upper mounts at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I did my fronts at 125k (miles). Neither had any signs of leakage, but one strut had no gas pressure at all, and the other barely returned after being compressed. The main seal area of each was heavily corroded too, though the main body of both shocks looked fine. Also did the bumps and strut tops while I was at it, since they were both perished and deformed.
Appreciate 1
steifan31.50
      06-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Also did the bumps and strut tops while I was at it, since they were both perished and deformed.
I find it interesting that you mentioned the poor shape of your bumps and top mounts. I simply didn't see any bump stop materials remaining on my front struts but there wasn't any serious banging over larger bumps. The bushings in the top mounts looked to be in decent shape but I didn't see any reason to save a few dollars at the risk of repeating the labor to swap them out in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #16
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, mine didn't seem to be hammering the bottom-out either (no thumps or bangs) but it definitely was way more harsh over bumps... Which is funny because I'd expect a blown damper to, at best, cavitate and provide very little damping. I know that comparing the OE dampers with the SA is apples VS pears, but still it seemed slightly backwards. I'm happy with the results though!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
bt49qt28c
Rep

Ok so I just went for a technical inspection or whatever it is called for my shocks and they tested the car on the "shock testing machine". It came up with 70% in the front and 50% in the back shocks. The guy who worked there told me that 80% is the maximum it should read, so mine are in good condition and I dont have to replace them O.o

Nevermind I just ordered a set of KONI Active Special shocks from germany. They should arrive here in a week or two. I will pair them with my m sport suspensions springs and tell you if I make my car better. If not, I'm definetly trading it for a 6 series or a 5 series.
Appreciate 1
steifan31.50
      07-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
2Ringfan
Rep
Drives: 2000CS, E91, E46, MCoupe

I wouldn't be removing the bump stops. They serve a purpose. In this case, new shocks should make a big difference.
Appreciate 1
steifan31.50
      07-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
steifan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport 2006, 323Ci 2000

My car has 111 000km and the rear shocks (m sport) was pretty bad with crashing over bumps etc but no leaks. Replaced them with Bilstein B8 and now it's pretty nice riding over bumps (firm but controlled). Front will be replaced later on.

I made a video of compressing one of the old shocks and a new B8:

Maybe not too scientific though..

325i '06, 323Ci '00, A3 2,0TDI Q '10, 740 GLT 16V '88
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
bt49qt28c
Rep

!!!PROBLEM SOLVED PROBLEM SOLVED PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
KONI Special Active shocks just arrived. Installed them yesterday ( took me 8 hours lol )
First impressions: Car still drives sporty and firm. No more pothole explosions, rattles or any stupid noises. Whenever I close my eyes scared that it's gonna exlode when I go faster through bumps, the car just firmly goes through it without making any stupid movement and hitting me in the back of my head. It's really better now.
My first thought on mind was: Ok so it's softer on the bumps now I guess I'll lose some performance/handling... WRONG. Car handles so much better and makes sharp turns easier without bodyroll! so It's a WIN WIN for me. Thanks to everybody who helped and gave advice.
PS: The front of the car sits a little bit higher ( maybe half inch. )
Is this normal, will it settle down or it will sit like that?
It doesnt bother me a lot but it was really lower on the old oem shocks. As far as I know shocks dont define ride height but who knows.
Next thing I'm changing is getting new tyres, I currently have some shitty china tyres because I had to install new ones and didnt have a budget for them, i got 4 tyres for $260 dirt cheap lol but quality is fu*king terrible. Tyres are Windforce and I can't believe how crap they are. however I guess I will get new tyres as soon as I can, i am looking at pirelli cinturato p7 non rft. What do you guys think about tyres for comfort and handling Continental/Pirelli/Michelin?
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #21
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Ride height:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eneral/6M0ldZD
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-guide/5l2msFh
I assume it's the same for the e92... In short, front ride height is normally slightly higher.

Tyres... For me it's Michelin Pilot Sport 4 every time. Good wet and dry grip, good efficiency, decent noise, very comfortable, and long wear life!

Glad the SA shocks are good for you! I'm doing my rears next week...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 03:04 AM   #22
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
I am running Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3 and I am very pleased for the $/power ratio... I got the Reinforced version to simulate the stiffness of ROF tires (they are a bit heavier but not as much soft on the sides as are the regular tires)... there is a need for stiff tires as the whole e9x suspension has been designed for it...