E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 3DM Motorsports Custom Ohlins Road and Track Suspension Review

11-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
3DM Motorsports Custom Ohlins Road and Track Suspension Review

I drive a 2007 335i E92 6MT with an ACF 6466 tuned on 93 octane + 1100 CC meth injection in the CP. After I installed my VM 6466 Single Turbo it became VERY apparent that my suspension was not up to the task of handling the power. This is a bit wordy feel free to skip!

I started looking around for a good set of coilovers and doing research in the fall of 2018. My car lives in hibernation mode from December to April in New England so I had time. I was looking to spend 3k or less initially. I had to goal that I wanted a suspension that would behave on the streets but that I could drive to and use for events on the weekend. I did not want ‘full race’ dedicated coilovers as I honestly am not skilled enough to set up 3 or 4 way adjustable coilovers(low/high-speed rebound as well as high and low-speed compression etc.) correctly and once dialed in I would have to re-adjust immediately for the street. This means jacking the car up to adjust EVERY time. While this is my ‘toy’ car I have a family and a busy life and I just do not feel I need that level of adjust-ability or the desire to constantly be messing with it. Not to mention most real ‘race’ coilovers start well above 3k and have basically no warranty see KW Club Sports etc. Ohlins 2 years vs. nothing on KW Club Sports.

I have had friends with KWs, FortuneAuto/Broadway, STs, and the usual in that sub 3k above 1k price bracket. I’ve road and driven some of the E9Xs with them and they were fine. No one complained about their choices and they all seemed ‘ok’ but ‘ok’ was not what I was looking for. I really wanted coilovers that would be a bridge between street and track coilovers, but not need to be endlessly adjusted or a compromise aka too much of a street or too much of a track coilover setup.

Here is a good read on the various coilovers available for the E9X ranked by tier: https://blog.**********s.com/best-co...series-e90e92/

I spent a few months just reading reviews, taking notes, making spread sheets, etc. on the various E9X forums and the internet of every name brand coilover out there. I like to research and spend my money once. I hate buying anything twice and have learned in life paying a bit more for quality can really pay off. I finally stumbled upon a few threads started by Barry@3DMMotorsports and it was obvious this guy had forgotten more about vehicle suspensions than I had learned in my entire life. I started with sending him a PM. He answered very quickly and it was obvious he knew his stuff. I literally pestered him almost every day with another question: 9 inch rear springs ok? What about rear adj extenders? 800 lb rear too aggressive? Spring Thrust sheets? What about X suspension component and how will it interact with Y? All the RSB endlinks on the market are exposed, what do I do? Why not the KW V3s or JZ? He was extremely helpful, we spoke on the phone and asked what my goals were, usage of the vehicle, etc. I asked if he would supply or suggest the best parts for my suspension based on my budget which he did.

All the text above is how I ended up where I am today.

I currently have installed all suspension/feels related:

900 rpm idle
Stock 6 speed w/ redline fluid
UUC SSK with DSSR
Spec Light Weight Flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ clutch
Solid rev shift 80A motor mounts
Rogue engineering tranmission mounts
Solid aluminum subframe bushings
Solid aluminum differential bushings
Diff lock down kit <--probably does nothing with the solid diff bushings but it's cheap insurance I guess.
Quaiffe ATB LSD with Royal Purple and E diff coded out

List of parts from 3DM:
335i front shock revalved
400 lb/in front spring
Vorshlag front camber plates
Front ARB adjustable linkages
Front modified Eibach ARB
Ohlins M3 rear damper revalved, droop limiter installed
Rear damper clicker extender
700 lb/in rear spring
Bearing upper shock mount
M3 rear lower control arms with new hardware
Entire rear ball joint conversion arms
'Middle' SS brake lines
Rear stock anti roll bar, modified to make 3-way adjustable
Rear extended adjusters w/ custom caps for trunk
Swift spring thrust sheets for springs

Other parts I installed at the same time:
E92 Front and Rear Endlink Kit
2007-2009 BMW E90/E92 330/335i Front and Rear Sway Bar Endlink Kit. Many E90/E92 BMW 3 Series and M3 owners choose to upgrade their cars with stiffer sway bars but often these upgrades can cause the factory end links to fail.
https://www.hotchkis.net/product/e92...r-endlink-kit/

Front Upper Control Arm Bushing Set (FCAB) - Monoball - E82, E89, E90, E92, E93
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...9-e90-e92-e93/

There is a plenty you can read online about the Ohlins R&T Coilovers and the DFV and how it works. This is part of what sold me as it being the best compromise between street and track. It turns out, as you can see from my list above, picking the Coilover dampeners was only a piece of the suspension pie, so to speak. I wanted custom spring rates not the off the shelf Ohlins which are rated all the way from a 325i 328i 330i 335d to a 335i. This is also where Barry comes in with his great knowledge. Given the spring rates I decided upon, with Barry’s help(Front 400lb, Rear 700lb), it meant I needed them revalved. DO NOT believe anyone when they say a revalve is not needed when changing springs any significant amount. The next thing barry customized on the shock was a droop limiter(not standard on many coilovers). This was needed because of the fully ball jointed arms. They hang lower than the stock with rubber bushings.

Normally the suspension arms have rubber bushings which are good for a street DD but they do not allow the suspension to work as well as it can as the rubber flexes, deflects, etc. So next up was the custom ball jointed front m3 arms and rear custom ball jointed arms all from 3DM. This allows for the suspension to do the actual work and not the rubber bushings getting in the way. I also wanted all of the rear M3 arms, which Barry@3DM sourced for me, and rear Ohlins m3 struts to go with them as they together are a significant upgrade from the stock 335i rear arm and Ohlins 355i rear strut in my opinion.

Settled upon a front sway bar/anti roll bar by Eibach(solid not hollow) 28mm in diameter which is the largest off the shelf solid bar offered with 3DM customized adjustable mounting points. 3 position adjustable: Position1 = 52 N/mm (297 lbs/in) + 53% stiffness, Position2 = 59 N/mm (337 lbs/in) + 73% stiffness, Position3 = 64 N/mm (366 lbs/in) + 88% stiffness over stock. The stock rear bar was modified to have 3 adjustable mounting points as well. The idea being you ideally want a large front bar with smaller rear.

The rest of the parts are self-explanatory like the Vorshlag front camber plates and if you have any questions please ask Barry@3DMMotorsports. He is the expert here and I am parroting most of what he said the best that I can remember.

Picture time:

I normally turn all my own wrenches but I had this work done in August. I spend my summers up at the lake on the weekends or am otherwise busy given our short North East summers and I don't have time or desire to wrench. I sent the car to Max Cabrera Contact@neautobahn.com @ NorthEast Autobahn in Walpole MA https://neautobahn.com/ and he performed the work flawlessly as expected. He is one of two mechanics I trust locally. Max has always done great work and provided good insight and suggestions. When I picked it up we went for a spin. I commented on the fact the car felt slower. He had been in my car before for a ride mind you, his response was, "I think it just doesn't feel like it is trying to kill you anymore" and he was right.

Different tips on the PE exhaust now but you get the idea of the ass end of her. Amber blinking euro lci tails FTW(Hi Z!):

Side shot. No one can probably tell but I have it sitting at least an inch and a half higher than before for more suspension travel. It used to be REALLY low. The car is dirty AF I had it detailed the next week:

I picked up the car and could not have been happier. This is exactly what I wanted. It is so confidence inspiring to drive the car and push it hard now. Before it was a bit scary to go WOT now I can go WOT on the 6466 and don't even have to hold the steering wheel. It goes right where I point it. On ramps and off ramps are a joy. I really cannot say enough about how awesome the car feels. The Ohlins R&T are very daily driveable and I am actually going to increase the stiffness. I have both front and rear set to the middle currently. It's now too cold to drive the car basically(no traction on summers) so I only have roughly 2 months worth of driving experience so far but it is just incredible. The suspension just performs and makes driving the car just so much more enjoyable.

How many of you actually had your shocks revalved correctly to your custom spring rates and then put them on a shock dyno?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E21..._DcCLvbop/view

I will update this 'review' after I get to some 'events' next year and really get to push the suspension.

I highly recommend reaching out to @barry@3DM if anyone has any suspension questions or needs. He is the MAN!

Shout out to the vendors who have helped me along the way with my E92 335i(notice the list is VERY short):

Jake@Motiv jake@motivmotorsport.com
Anthony@Ventura Motorsports acfabrication@gmail.com
Barry@3DM info@3DMmotorsport.com
Payam @Payam@BMS
Max Cabrera Contact@neautobahn.com

If anyone would like, I am happy to make personal introductions to any of them. I would not trust my car in anyone else’s hands.

Last edited by Torgus; 03-31-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 7
tlow982170.00
m3less130.00
3PedalJake2613.50
tcphoto3513.00
whyzee1251660.50
      11-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Well this shits all over everyone else's suspension. Great work, very impressive.
Torgus3781.50
      11-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Nice writeup.....Sounds like Barry is the guy for Ohlins!

So I am in the same situation, and also considering Mcs and Jrz single adjustables. When you add the springs to the Ohlins price, they are only a couple hundred less than the other two. Is there a reason you chose the Ohlin's over the Jrz?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Well this shits all over everyone else's suspension. Great work, very impressive.
Hah I do what I can. But yes this is much more than just coilovers! Thanks for the kind words. I've spent more on putting the power down then people spend on a single turbo. Crazyness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlo View Post
Nice writeup.....Sounds like Barry is the guy for Ohlins!

So I am in the same situation, and also considering Mcs and Jrz single adjustables. When you add the springs to the Ohlins price, they are only a couple hundred less than the other two. Is there a reason you chose the Ohlin's over the Jrz?
Great question. I looked at those as well. The answer is I a wanted street coilover 1st and a track coilover second. I think with the DFV valve the Ohlins are the closest to a 'hybrid' set up as you can get and they are quick and easy to adjust. With the upgraded m3 arms and everything balljointed and the adjustable bars, solid bushings, etc. I think my driving ability is going to be my biggest limiting factor in all honestly.

Barry @ 3DMotorsports also was very insightful and I felt I was in great hands with him. He revalved the Ohlins correctly for my custom ordered swift springs and then put it on an actual shock dyno. As well as installed a droop limiter. All the ball joints are from him. The fact it was a 1 stop shop and I could call or text was nice. The modified adjustable bars were cool as well. All around just a great very easy to work with experience.

That being said, all this stuff was not cheap. Quality components rarely are.

I am sure you will do just fine with MCS or JRZ etc. But I would at least drop barry a line and explain your goals for the car and see what he has to offer. The 'one stop shop' was a big selling point for me and as I said in the review, one conversation with Barry and you realize he has forgotten more about suspension than you will ever know.

Fun Facts: My dust boots have military grade zip ties on them.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Interesting...I agree, if you have similar needs in mind, going with something NOT off the shelf is gonna have to happen.

For those of you that want custom, but have no need/want for coilovers, check this shop out; they have a ton of interesting videos on YouTube:
http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/index.htm#page-top

Other than reading good reviews on some of the other boards, I have no experience with them, but it certainly opens up an overlooked option.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      01-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
tr3flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | E91 | Acura TSX

Very nice. So satisfying seeing all the new control arms going on with the RTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
How many of you actually had your shocks revalved correctly to your custom spring rates and then put them on a shock dyno?
I have custom Eibach reservoir coilovers on my other two builds (not the wagon) and it makes such a nice difference when the shocks and springs work in harmony.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      03-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Nknight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E92

Such a great post and informative read. Thanks for taking the time to put this together, for a noob like me it helps out a lot.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      03-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E21..._DcCLvbop/view <--video of my struts on the strut dyno after being revalved for the custom swift springs I ordered. Realized I never posted this.

Kind of cool!
Appreciate 2
Silnismo225.50
      08-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
I assume this was dyno plots which have been taken down?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I assume this was dyno plots which have been taken down?
Video must have been moved or deleted. I never saved it locally unfortunately.

Midway down you can see the shock dyno that was used: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/3dm-mo...spension-guide

Barry@3dm threw my struts on the dyno as he custom valved them because of the selected swift spring rates. The stock valving would have been incorrect for the increased spring rates.

On this page you can see a video of the strut dyno: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/bmw-e9...s-buyers-guide

Not my strut but you get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:44 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Cool. I was hoping it there were dyno graphs, but never mind! Nobody publishes enough dyno plots...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Cool. I was hoping it there were dyno graphs, but never mind! Nobody publishes enough dyno plots...
Im with you here. It’s a shame!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #13
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Im with you here. It’s a shame!
If you want my strut on the Dyno I can ask Barry for it?

You mean a dyno of my car strapped down on a dynojet? It is coming! Covid has made 2020 a nightmare. I just drove the car for the 1st time in months. 22-23psi at redline currently.
Appreciate 1
tlow982170.00
      08-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you want my strut on the Dyno I can ask Barry for it?

You mean a dyno of my car strapped down on a dynojet? It is coming! Covid has made 2020 a nightmare. I just drove the car for the 1st time in months. 22-23psi at redline currently.
If you don't mind, that would be really cool to see!

Also engine dyno plots/videos are fun
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      08-22-2020, 01:38 AM   #15
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Agreed, I also love data :-)
Appreciate 0