E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valvetronic Motor Gasket replacement...

09-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Valvetronic Motor Gasket replacement...

I replaced my valvetronic motor gasket about 10 months ago when I installed MILV’s.

I noticed it was leaking and I was getting some vacuum leak codes about 5 months ago. Turns out it was leaking again so I replaced it again.

Just now doing some work on the motor and... wtf the stupid valvetronic motor gasket is leaking again

So now I’m about to change it again for the third time in less than a year. Is there some trick to this I’m missing? I know it needs to be oriented with the black stripe facing up. I’ve done this each time.

Is there a better gasket by one company vs another? I don’t remember which gaskets I’ve been buying but they have been good name brand gaskets and I think one was oem.

Do you guys use RTV on the gasket? I haven’t so far.

Last time I even used all new screws on the motor. Don’t ask me why it just seems like it couldn’t hurt.

What could I be missing here?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
It's those extra 500 RPM.. lol I kid..

That sucks though. I hope you find a resolution!

Shit like this that keeps scaring me away from MILVS.
      09-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
It's those extra 500 RPM.. lol I kid..

That sucks though. I hope you find a resolution!

Shit like this that keeps scaring me away from MILVS.
I don’t think MILV’s (or any other mod) would be a cause or factor in this in any way. I think the M52 valvetronic motor design is lacking and it’s easy to see why they did away with this for the n55 version incorporating the motor inside the valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh I'm totally with you man.. I was referring to the fact that I'd have to crack open the valve cover and unseat all of these (finicky, apparently) gaskets for the MILVS install. It's hard to bring myself to do it when I'm leak free currently (which seems like a unicorn situation on an E9x, frankly, lol).
      09-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Hey, I've dealt with the same problem for ages until I finally used the RTV sealant.

What happened was it started with a small leak, I first replaced the entire valve cover gasket along with valvetronic gasket and the eccentric sensor gasket. Then two months later I start to see black smoke coming out of the seam of my hood, and also noticed burnt oil smell inside the car every time I stop at the red light. It gets worse and worse and it was making a scene out there, quite embarrassing.

Then I cleared up all obstructions until I find the holes under the valvetronic motor to be the culprit, it was storing up oil! I pushed in several paper towels to get those oil out, cleaned up the signs of oil leak, then went on and drove around for a week. Then those holes under the valvetronic are full of oil again. I knew it's that valvetronic gasket leaking.

Similar to what you did, I also tried to replace the new bolts and gasket (replaced 4 times). The forth time got a little better, but the leak still persist, I was very paranoid even with just one drop. Then I gave up, used RTV sealant, and the problem went away for good.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3761.50
      09-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Hey, I've dealt with the same problem for ages until I finally used the RTV sealant.

What happened was it started with a small leak, I first replaced the entire valve cover gasket along with valvetronic gasket and the eccentric sensor gasket. Then two months later I start to see black smoke coming out of the seam of my hood, and also noticed burnt oil smell inside the car every time I stop at the red light. It gets worse and worse and it was making a scene out there, quite embarrassing.

Then I cleared up all obstructions until I find the holes under the valvetronic motor to be the culprit, it was storing up oil! I pushed in several paper towels to get those oil out, cleaned up the signs of oil leak, then went on and drove around for a week. Then those holes under the valvetronic are full of oil again. I knew it's that valvetronic gasket leaking.

Similar to what you did, I also tried to replace the new bolts and gasket (replaced 4 times). The forth time got a little better, but the leak still persist, I was very paranoid even with just one drop. Then I gave up, used RTV sealant, and the problem went away for good.
Awesome thanks for sharing that. You just put a coat on the side of the gasket against the velve cover, or where the motor touches the gasket, or both?

I’m ready to be done with this for the third time lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Awesome thanks for sharing that. You just put a coat on the side of the gasket against the velve cover, or where the motor touches the gasket, or both?

I’m ready to be done with this for the third time lol
I remember test fitting it a little bit and found it more likely to have the leaks coming from the valve cover side. So I did the valvecover side first. But then, while I already had that tube of sealant open, why not, so I applied both sides after all. No problems for over a year now, still no leak today.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3761.50
      09-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Oh I'm totally with you man.. I was referring to the fact that I'd have to crack open the valve cover and unseat all of these (finicky, apparently) gaskets for the MILVS install. It's hard to bring myself to do it when I'm leak free currently (which seems like a unicorn situation on an E9x, frankly, lol).
I was in the same boat - no leaks, I really didn't want to mess with it. But I did it and it's still not leaking, so..
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Schrodinger's gasket: if you observe it, it will leak
Appreciate 6
Biginboca3761.50
Cdutch513160.50
Noir883.00
PhaceN52173.50
lab_rat394.50
      09-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Interesting that you mention that today.

A recent interpretation of that thought experiment has...very strange conclusions.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06749-8
      09-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
I love it, lol.

IMO half the people on this forum would benefit if they just relaxed and didn't open the hood.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Are you sure there is no crack in the manifold itself?

I would do a smoke test if you can
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
I replaced my valvetronic motor gasket about 10 months ago when I installed MILV’s.

I noticed it was leaking and I was getting some vacuum leak codes about 5 months ago. Turns out it was leaking again so I replaced it again.

Just now doing some work on the motor and... wtf the stupid valvetronic motor gasket is leaking again

So now I’m about to change it again for the third time in less than a year. Is there some trick to this I’m missing? I know it needs to be oriented with the black stripe facing up. I’ve done this each time.

Is there a better gasket by one company vs another? I don’t remember which gaskets I’ve been buying but they have been good name brand gaskets and I think one was oem.

Last time I even used all new screws on the motor. Don’t ask me why it just seems like it couldn’t hurt.

Mine is leaking too - again. Just ordered parts to get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:

Mine is leaking too - again. Just ordered parts to get it sorted out.
Who are you buying the gaskets from? Are they OEM?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Who are you buying the gaskets from? Are they OEM?
They are vector from FCP euro, which is OEM part.

I know why it’s leaking. When I was installing milvs, wife started complaining how I’m taking too damn long to finish the job and that she wants to park in the garage (car was sitting apparat for almost a week as I didn’t have much time to work on it). So I rushed at the end. I was 100% sure that the gasket was not seated properly, but I put it all back together anyway knowing I will need to redo the job in the near future.

Plus I was too damn excited to test out what MILVs can do. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
They are vector from FCP euro, which is OEM part.

I know why it’s leaking. When I was installing milvs, wife started complaining how I’m taking too damn long to finish the job and that she wants to park in the garage (car was sitting apparat for almost a week as I didn’t have much time to work on it). So I rushed at the end. I was 100% sure that the gasket was not seated properly, but I put it all back together anyway knowing I will need to redo the job in the near future.

Plus I was too damn excited to test out what MILVs can do. Lol
It's your yappy wife's fault, not yours, lol.

Joking aside, how did the MILV's do for you? Any subtle differences without the tune? Or do you already have the BPC's updated tune to acommodate the MILV's? I also got a set of MILV's on my hand, with an AA tune. Been pondering to install without the BPC tune, yet. Then I'll have to wait till next year to start contacting BPC to fix me up with that tune and say bye-bye to AA. My wife will choke me if she learns I already have a tune, then go to another shop for another tune. She simply won't know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
It's your yappy wife's fault, not yours, lol.

Joking aside, how did the MILV's do for you? Any subtle differences without the tune? Or do you already have the BPC's updated tune to acommodate the MILV's? I also got a set of MILV's on my hand, with an AA tune. Been pondering to install without the BPC tune, yet. Then I'll have to wait till next year to start contacting BPC to fix me up with that tune and say bye-bye to AA. My wife will choke me if she learns I already have a tune, then go to another shop for another tune. She simply won't know the difference.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466676

Reach out to AA. They did a tune for MILVS and I think were looking to start selling milvs tune as well. This might be cheaper option for you - instead of spending extra $700
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If I already had an AA tune, I'd be beating down the doors at AA. They have the tune, they just apparently don't want to release it.
      09-22-2018, 11:52 PM   #19
yupetc
Captain
Rep

I did email them after they claimed to have a MILV's tune. In the reply they told me to wait for it, then it's been more than 4 months I haven't heard a darn thang from them. I'm just about giving up on AA now.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #20
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

I just finished replacement of the valvetronic motor gasket again... and I think I figured out why mine leaked and why it will probably leak again and then I can fix it once and for all.

On my valve cover when the gasket is installed where it fits naturally and likely seals the best the 2 threaded inner bolt holes for the motor are not centered in the gasket holes.

So each time I installed I have been shifting the gasket upwards to center those holes in the gasket, but now I think when I do that gasket is not nesting properly in the valve cover to seal. I need to not try and center those 2 threaded holes behind the gasket and just let it nest where it fits naturally to the valve cover.

I realized the valve cover likely has some play in how it bolts on, the head likely has a little play in all the brackets inside the valve cover and when all the tolerances stack up those holes might not center behind the gasket when the gasket is in the best spot to seal. Each time I installed including today I have been shifting the gasket to center those holes.

So the bottom line I might be doing this one more time I did smear RTV on the backside of the gasket this time so maybe that will do the trick
Appreciate 3
e90yyc2424.00
lab_rat394.50
basmi0.00
      10-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #21
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just finished replacement of the valvetronic motor gasket again... and I think I figured out why mine leaked and why it will probably leak again and then I can fix it once and for all.

On my valve cover when the gasket is installed where it fits naturally and likely seals the best the 2 threaded inner bolt holes for the motor are not centered in the gasket holes.

So each time I installed I have been shifting the gasket upwards to center those holes in the gasket, but now I think when I do that gasket is not nesting properly in the valve cover to seal. I need to not try and center those 2 threaded holes behind the gasket and just let it nest where it fits naturally to the valve cover.

I realized the valve cover likely has some play in how it bolts on, the head likely has a little play in all the brackets inside the valve cover and when all the tolerances stack up those holes might not center behind the gasket when the gasket is in the best spot to seal. Each time I installed including today I have been shifting the gasket to center those holes.

So the bottom line I might be doing this one more time I did smear RTV on the backside of the gasket this time so maybe that will do the trick
That's where mine was leaking too.

View post on imgur.com

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Gy2lxuG.jpg[/img
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3761.50
      10-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #22
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
What colour RTV sealant are people using? I'm about to do this job and don't feel like going back again after I button up the engine.
Appreciate 0